• HTML tutorial

MtnPwnd

Rank 0

Traveler I

Mountain Home Idaho
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7IFA
Good Morning Everyone!

I am looking into getting into Overlanding and have chosen the first gen Sequioa as my platform of choice. A few things I wanted to bounce on you guys before I make the purchase to get one though as I want to be sure I can find the parts that I want.

1. I'd love to be able to go long distances in between gas stations so I wondered about extended range fuel tanks. I realize that I can have one fabbed up but I wondered if there was one that was ready made and ready to bolt in.

2. I watched 1stgenoffroad's youtube channel and I LOVE his build on his sequoia. I'm very into clean installs and he does really well with his. However, I wondered if there was a lift kit that would get me greater than 3 inches. Anyone know of any?

3. I love the roof top tent thing and have plans of getting one however, this (I feel) limits storage space on top as I'd like to have a nice big roof rack to store additional jerry cans, spare tire, shovel's, mat-trax, etc etc. Anyone know of any other ideas that could help remedy that situation without having to go out and get the patriot X1 camper trailer? (Plans to buy that later down the road).

4. This is probably the most important thing. I have had bad luck with vehicles in the past and I don't want to dump a bunch of money into this only to have it break down on me. I realize and understand that EVERYTHING breaks. Brand new vehicles break, but what kind of reliability can I expect out of a higher mileage Sequoia? People want a premium for them even when they have upwards of 220k on the clock. I have a Cadillac SRX now with 188k on it and I desperately want out of it because of the mileage. How reliable are the first gen sequoia's? Are people driving them 500k+? Let me know, I'm listening and desperately need some help in this area.

5. Lastly, and least importantly, are there supercharger's and the like out there for the 4.7L? With all the overland equipment that will be installed on the rig, it'll have a lot more weight then it was designed to carry so I wondered if there was a way to up the performance of the motor to help keep up with the added weight.

I appreciate you getting through my long winded intro but I have a lot of questions and I don't want to make the wrong decision so I'm doing my homework before I jump in. Thanks again!!

Cordially,

Josh Nelson

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
Good Morning Everyone!

I am looking into getting into Overlanding and have chosen the first gen Sequioa as my platform of choice. A few things I wanted to bounce on you guys before I make the purchase to get one though as I want to be sure I can find the parts that I want.

1. I'd love to be able to go long distances in between gas stations so I wondered about extended range fuel tanks. I realize that I can have one fabbed up but I wondered if there was one that was ready made and ready to bolt in.

2. I watched 1stgenoffroad's youtube channel and I LOVE his build on his sequoia. I'm very into clean installs and he does really well with his. However, I wondered if there was a lift kit that would get me greater than 3 inches. Anyone know of any?

3. I love the roof top tent thing and have plans of getting one however, this (I feel) limits storage space on top as I'd like to have a nice big roof rack to store additional jerry cans, spare tire, shovel's, mat-trax, etc etc. Anyone know of any other ideas that could help remedy that situation without having to go out and get the patriot X1 camper trailer? (Plans to buy that later down the road).

4. This is probably the most important thing. I have had bad luck with vehicles in the past and I don't want to dump a bunch of money into this only to have it break down on me. I realize and understand that EVERYTHING breaks. Brand new vehicles break, but what kind of reliability can I expect out of a higher mileage Sequoia? People want a premium for them even when they have upwards of 220k on the clock. I have a Cadillac SRX now with 188k on it and I desperately want out of it because of the mileage. How reliable are the first gen sequoia's? Are people driving them 500k+? Let me know, I'm listening and desperately need some help in this area.

5. Lastly, and least importantly, are there supercharger's and the like out there for the 4.7L? With all the overland equipment that will be installed on the rig, it'll have a lot more weight then it was designed to carry so I wondered if there was a way to up the performance of the motor to help keep up with the added weight.

I appreciate you getting through my long winded intro but I have a lot of questions and I don't want to make the wrong decision so I'm doing my homework before I jump in. Thanks again!!

Cordially,

Josh Nelson
Welcome to Overland Bound Josh (@MtnPwnd)! I can't really answer your questions on the Sequoia, but I do want to take the time to say hello. Southwest Idaho is a great place to get into Overlanding, as you are surrounded with amazing places to explore. I recommend checking out the Overland Bound NorthWest Region forum [link] for meetups and to get to know your “neighbors”. Events are also posted on the Rally Point system [link], so you might want to check that out as well.

I look forward to seeing you out there! If you need anything, feel free to hit me up on the forums: @Jedi.

MtnPwnd

Rank 0

Traveler I

Mountain Home Idaho
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7IFA
Hey Thanks @Jedi I appreciate that. I'll be sure to check out the rally point system and I'll take a look at that Northwest Region forum as well. I posted on the sequoia forums but haven't heard much. I'm afraid there isn't a whole lot of activity over there so I thought I'd try and look for a place that was a little more active.

bawesomfels

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Phoenix, AZ
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Ockenfels
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Welcome from AZ! Looking forward to seeing this Sequoia happen.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Good Morning Everyone!

Cordially,

Josh Nelson
Hello Josh and welcome to the OB crew...great vehicle for your adventure platform. Look forward to seeing your build and your adventures.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Hello from Caldwell, Idaho.

What made you choose the Sequioa? How many people will be going with you on your trips, and what are their ages?

This info will help me answer your questions a bit easier.

James

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Good Morning Everyone!

Cordially,

Josh Nelson
Welcome to Overland Bound!

Here is our Tech Advisor @VCeXpedition he should steer you in the right direction.

MtnPwnd

Rank 0

Traveler I

Mountain Home Idaho
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7IFA
Hello from Caldwell, Idaho.

What made you choose the Sequioa? How many people will be going with you on your trips, and what are their ages?

This info will help me answer your questions a bit easier.

James
Hey James! I'm down in Mountain Home so maybe sometime we could meet up!

I chose the sequoia because they seem to be super reliable. People driving 400k+ miles on them with no issues. I currently have a Cadillac SRX with 188k and it's nothing but problem after problem. I had watched some Expedition Overland youtube videos and they make overlanding look so fun and I thought with the Seqoia, there'd be enough room in there for most of the gear and the family inside. It will be my wife and two kids. Eventually I want to get the Patriot X1 trailer and revamp the Sequoia to be more of a support/Ham radio mobile station. I have my general license and would love to be able to deploy to help with the fires that go on around here as I'm sure you're well aware.

All in all, I really like the Sequoia because it's big, reliable, parts are cheap, and it has a much bigger engine in it then the Cadillac has. The Cadillac is severly underpowered and I'm sick of having that issue.

Doug Newton

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey James! I'm down in Mountain Home so maybe sometime we could meet up!

I chose the sequoia because they seem to be super reliable. People driving 400k+ miles on them with no issues. I currently have a Cadillac SRX with 188k and it's nothing but problem after problem. I had watched some Expedition Overland youtube videos and they make overlanding look so fun and I thought with the Seqoia, there'd be enough room in there for most of the gear and the family inside. It will be my wife and two kids. Eventually I want to get the Patriot X1 trailer and revamp the Sequoia to be more of a support/Ham radio mobile station. I have my general license and would love to be able to deploy to help with the fires that go on around here as I'm sure you're well aware.

All in all, I really like the Sequoia because it's big, reliable, parts are cheap, and it has a much bigger engine in it then the Cadillac has. The Cadillac is severly underpowered and I'm sick of having that issue.
I think the Sequoia is a great pick for your region and intended use.

Reactions: MtnPwnd

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Gotcha... we just left a 2003 Ford Expedition (search for my build thread - roof rack, roof top tent, etc). It’s bigness and V8 was nice for our family of 5, but ultimately led to trail limitations, and the ability to sink itself in mud because of the weight. I was also wanting to come back to the Japanese side of things... so... we are now in a 2002 Mitsubishi Montero. We are a Mitsubishi family, as we have two others. It has a small third row seat, and more than enough room to get comfortable.

Toyotas are great, but have a high resale value that keeps the cost of entry high. I was more than happy to pickup what most consider to be an off brand at a very reasonable price (plus it’s a 15 time Dakar winner).

Whatever you pickup, look for maintenance records. Try and find one that is as stock as possible so you have a blank canvas.

Incidentally, we are doing a trailer this year, but are building from the Lowe’s 3x5, using a roof top tent and the 3 case method defined by Michael on this forum... that opens up sleeping options for 5 and the ability for everyone to go in one vehicle. No way am I gonna spend $20k+ on an overland trailer... not in the right tax bracket for that.

James

MtnPwnd

Rank 0

Traveler I

Mountain Home Idaho
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7IFA
You bring up a really good point about weight. Expedition Overland sank their Toyota 100 series with an overland trailer up in AK. I imagine the Sequoia is going to be even heavier then that. I'll have to look up your build thread about your ford. I'd be real interested in seeing that.

TRD_RTC

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Pittsburgh Pa - JBMDL NJ
Member #

Hello,

I would Opt if possible to a second gen seq. That said the 5.7 is very reliable like the 4.7 but has no maintenance timing chains. Power is much better as well and the gear box is better. Either way you go is a good option, just refinement! I would opt for a dual swing out rear bumper is you are going with a RTT. Don't quote me exactly on this but i believe a lot of the tundra parts are interchangeable with the seq in terms of off road accessories! Most important is having fun along the way though.

MtnPwnd

Rank 0

Traveler I

Mountain Home Idaho
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7IFA
Thanks man! I appreciate your input! It's going to be a trial and error thing for sure. I'm sure I'll run into situations where the set up will change a few times before I have it dialed in just the way I need it for the things that I intend to use it for.