New ford bronco capabilities. Is jeep in big trouble?

• HTML tutorial

beachdude93

Rank 0

Traveler I

PA, USA
First Name
jake
Last Name
zimmerman
So i didnt see any threads on this so i thought i would make one.

What do you guys think about the broncos capabilities and potential to upset jeep? specifically its design based on modularity and third party support from the gate?

not to mention its extremely impressive off road capabilities

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Jeep will need to step it up for sure.

Rubicon axles in everything. New engines. An interior not designed by little girls. Get the lights out of the fender flares. Less weight. Aluminum body.

beachdude93

Rank 0

Traveler I

PA, USA
First Name
jake
Last Name
zimmerman

Rubicon axles in everything. New engines. An interior not designed by little girls. Get the lights out of the fender flares. Less weight. Aluminum body.
can jeep compete in its current configuration though?

It seems if done right , IFS's benefits far outweigh its downsides when off roading. And for jeep to compete on road with bronco , they would have to either engineer magic front axle , or go IFS

The underpowered engine is another problem

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I have a predisposition to not buying Fords for much the same reason I have a predisposition to not buying VW bad history.

I think :
Ford seriously screwed the pooch releasing the new Explorer and calling it a Bronco.

People will buy some full size Broncos

Jeep will continue to dominate that market.

History, community, parts selection, ease of modification, capability of the Jeep product line ensure they are not going anywhere

Reactions: Outdoordog

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

How do we really know any of this? Has anyone outside of Ford personnel even been able to take one for a test drive a d review?

It's always a Ford guy driving and the journalist in shotgun seat. The thing MIGHT steer like a cow. I'd like to see more journalist getting one for a week and driving it around. Or even TFL truck.

Dont get me wrong, I was excited as hell when they announced the new Bronco. I hope this thing kicks ass! Actually I was hoping for one based off the F150, but this us good, too. From the pictures, descriptions, and very well staged videos, this thing looks amazing.

Then again, I was excited that Phantom Menace was coming out. Then I saw it. Cue "sad trombone slide"

Looks like they are doing some great stuff. None of which is independently confirmed yet. So all I'm saying is, I'm reserving my right to salt the steak after its delivered to the table

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I have a predisposition to not buying Fords for much the same reason I have a predisposition to not buying VW bad history.

I think :
Ford seriously screwed the pooch releasing the new Explorer and calling it a Bronco.

Jeep will continue to dominate that market.

History, community, parts selection, ease of modification, capability of the Jeep product line ensure they are not going anywhere
I agree, of course, that Jeep isnt going anywhere. But this new Bronco LOOKS like its gonna be real cool. It's really up to Ford at this point whether or not they decide that this is going to be an offering over the course of decades, or whether this will be a flash in the pan, GM EV1 sort of experiment, where if it doesnt sell like hotcakes in a year, they decide to scrap it after 5 years or even 10 years. That wont being enough to be a true contender. Are we gonna look back on this in the year 2031 lamenting that Ford cancelled the Bronco again?

For this reason, I think it was smart that they built out a Ford Edge and made it sort of the mini Bronco. I only wish they had given us a rugged 2 door (maybe even 4 door), full sized truck Bronco (Bronco XLT?) as well, to create a full line of sizes.

Reactions: ChapEJF

beachdude93

Rank 0

Traveler I

PA, USA
First Name
jake
Last Name
zimmerman
How do we really know any of this? Has anyone outside of Ford personnel even been able to take one for a test drive a d review?

It's always a Ford guy driving and the journalist in shotgun seat. The thing MIGHT steer like a cow. I'd like to see more journalist getting one for a week and driving it around. Or even TFL truck.

Dont get me wrong, I was excited as hell when they announced the new Bronco. I hope this thing kicks ass! Actually I was hoping for one based off the F150, but this us good, too. From the pictures, descriptions, and very well staged videos, this thing looks amazing.

Then again, I was excited that Phantom Menace was coming out. Then I saw it. Cue "sad trombone slide"

Looks like they are doing some great stuff. None of which is independently confirmed yet. So all I'm saying is, I'm reserving my right to salt the steak after its delivered to the table
at king of the hammers they let anybody go on ride alongs.

Here are some videos. 3rd video gives a good idea of ride quality based on how the camera is set up

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
can jeep compete in its current configuration though?

It seems if done right , IFS's benefits far outweigh its downsides when off roading. And for jeep to compete on road with bronco , they would have to either engineer magic front axle , or go IFS

The underpowered engine is another problem
I'd leave the a Wrangler as solid axle only. But significantly improve it. It's got a few areas of major suckage that Jeep just won't address. Keep it to it's hard core rock crawling roots. Don't alienate your most vocal customer base.

I'd make the Liberty or Cherokee IFS, and then improve them to the Wrangler's and Bronco's capability. There's no reason those can't be used to compete with the IFS segment.

beachdude93

Rank 0

Traveler I

PA, USA
First Name
jake
Last Name
zimmerman
I'd leave the a Wrangler as solid axle only. But significantly improve it. Keep it to it's hard core rock crawling roots. Don't alienate your most vocal customer base.

I'd make the Liberty or Cherokee IFS, and then improve them to the Wrangler's and Bronco's capability. There's no reason those can't be used to compete with the IFS segment.
ya they should bring back the XJ

Reactions: MidOH

beachdude93

Rank 0

Traveler I

PA, USA
First Name
jake
Last Name
zimmerman
I agree, of course, that Jeep isnt going anywhere. But this new Bronco LOOKS like its gonna be real cool. It's really up to Ford at this point whether or not they decide that this is going to be an offering over the course of decades, or whether this will be a flash in the pan, GM EV1 sort of experiment, where if it doesnt sell like hotcakes in a year, they decide to scrap it after 5 years or even 10 years. That wont being enough to be a true contender. Are we gonna look back on this in the year 2031 lamenting that Ford cancelled the Bronco again?

For this reason, I think it was smart that they built out a Ford Edge and made it sort of the mini Bronco. I only wish they had given us a rugged 2 door (maybe even 4 door), full sized truck Bronco (Bronco XLT?) as well, to create a full line of sizes.
what?

they did make a 2 and 4 door bronco?

2021 Ford Bronco Rubicon Trail 1.jpeg

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I think he means a Raptor based Bronco?

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Jeep's problem is not the Bronco.

Jeep's problem is Stellantis.

Jeep is now Fiat, Puegot and Citroen. Yippee.

My bet is that Jeep is on the same path that Jaguar went on when Ford took over. Boredom will ensue. Give it a decade. Maybe more because the brand itself is fairly strong. But there is going to be a day when someone (an investor group) is going to come up with the cash to buy the Jeep brand out from the mess it is currently lumped in with and return it to its roots. And then we will have a chance of getting a real Jeep again.

For the time being, classic Jeeps are going to be embarrased by their new generations.

beachdude93

Rank 0

Traveler I

PA, USA
First Name
jake
Last Name
zimmerman
i dunno about that. I think offroading like overlanding is replacing normal camping for people and jeeps will always be a hit

unless other manufactureres really adopt open air vehicles jeep and bronco will dominate

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
they aren’t full sized Broncos... they are slightly smaller in size to a Gen 1 Bronco. Full sized Broncos refer to the 1978-1996 Bronco (Gen2-gen5) built on the F-150 platform. The new Bronco is on a Ranger platform so it’s being called a Mid Sized Bronco.
The Bronco sport is slightly larger than the Bronco II from the mid 1980’s -1993. The Ford Explorer replaced the Bronco II so it’s only acceptable that the new Bronco Sport be put onto an explorer frame.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

they aren’t full sized Broncos... they are slightly smaller in size to a Gen 1 Bronco. Full sized Broncos refer to the 1978-1996 Bronco (Gen2-gen5) built on the F-150 platform. The new Bronco is on a Ranger platform so it’s being called a Mid Sized Bronco.
The Bronco sport is slightly larger than the Bronco II from the mid 1980’s -1993. The Ford Explorer replaced the Bronco II so it’s only acceptable that the new Bronco Sport be put onto an explorer frame.
LOL, "fuller sized" then.

jwalla

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Dakotas

Advocate I

Rapid City, SD, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Walla
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
I am hoping this spurs a new round of jeep innovation. I am also wanting to see ford's commitment to the bronce this go around and see how long they are here for and how these first two model years shake out issues wise. To be honest I still dream of a world where the scout comes back.