Rank II

Member I

Arkansas, USA
First Name
Pam
Last Name
Ferguson
Member #

My husband and I will be headed to NE around October 8th, traveling from Arkansas. (This is a bucket list trip.) We drive a Full size Ram 1500 and have all our recovery gear, winch, 35" tires w/ 4" lift, etc. so equipment wise we are ready... However, we just need a route to follow. I have been tasked with developing the route since this is on my list. My bucket list includes: Fall colors in New England, covered bridges in the fall and Maine Lobster (just for me, hubby is allergic to shell fish - of all things). Any help would be greatly appreciated by these two- fairly new to overlanding, in their mid 60's and ready to go on an adventure. We use Gaia to track with and would love to have some routes with sites for dispersed camping. Suggestions, please? Thank you so much. Oh, and also a rescue rig company in the event we can't get our way out of something or somewhere... LOL.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Pam Ferguson

Rank II

Member I

Arkansas, USA
First Name
Pam
Last Name
Ferguson
Member #

David, thank you! That would be GREATLY appreciated. I am in the process of mapping out our route now. I was thinking that we would enter PA from the south western side and head north. I know there are covered bridges in PA and I would love to see some. Then head up to the Allegany park vicinity. Next up to upper state NY and then into ME. Heading back south thru NH and VT and back into PA maybe down the Appalachian Mt range... but open for suggestions. Then into WV back into TN (for a stop to see a grandson) before returning to AR. We are not really on a time budget but I sure want to hit the peak of the fall colors. So, Again, David, Routes in PA along with camping spots would be so very much appreciated. Bless you!

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
There sure are lots of covered bridges in Pennsylvania. And lots of awesome vistas to check out the fall foilage.

When I get a chance, I will give some suggestions.

Sounds like a great trip you are about to embark on.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
So, I could go on for days about Pennsylvania.

But, because I do not know how much time you really want to devote to here, I will start with some over all information for the area.

Camping. Motorized camping in state forests. Free, but you need to reserve a permit. No amenities, sometimes a picnic table and fire ring.

www.Reserveamerica.com for state parks if you want showers and electric.

Note: October is a very popular time of year in the PA Wilds. So stuff may be booked up and busy.

As far as routes, if you like premade routes and following a GPS...the MABDR and NEBDR go through the area. Pretty straight forward but miss some of the best the area has to offer.
www.RideBDR.com

That will give you some things to check out while I try to get time to write more.

Pam Ferguson

Rank II

Member I

Arkansas, USA
First Name
Pam
Last Name
Ferguson
Member #

So, I could go on for days about Pennsylvania.

But, because I do not know how much time you really want to devote to here, I will start with some over all information for the area.

Camping. Motorized camping in state forests. Free, but you need to reserve a permit. No amenities, sometimes a picnic table and fire ring.

www.Reserveamerica.com for state parks if you want showers and electric.

Note: October is a very popular time of year in the PA Wilds. So stuff may be booked up and busy.

As far as routes, if you like premade routes and following a GPS...the MABDR and NEBDR go through the area. Pretty straight forward but miss some of the best the area has to offer.
www.RideBDR.com

That will give you some things to check out while I try to get time to write more.
I’m on it…. Checking things out now! Thank you!

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
If you plan to spend a decent amount of time in PA, check out www.PurpleLizard.com

They have very detailed maps for most all of the Pennsylvania State Forests and some in West Virginia.

2021_PLP_locator_August_v1_lettersize_copy_752c2435-d86c-48e1-8e32-f435e594f63e.jpg

Tuscarora State Forest map has a lot of Covered Bridges and many dispersed campsites.

Pine Creek map has the area of the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon.

Bald Eagle State Forest is the most popular wilderness area in the state.

The Quehanna Wild Area has a lot of interesting things to see.

If any of this interests you, let me know, and I can get more specific in my sharing of knowledge.

Zach_42a0dc

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Harrisburg, PA, USA
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Smith
Member #

My husband and I will be headed to NE around October 8th, traveling from Arkansas. (This is a bucket list trip.) We drive a Full size Ram 1500 and have all our recovery gear, winch, 35" tires w/ 4" lift, etc. so equipment wise we are ready... However, we just need a route to follow. I have been tasked with developing the route since this is on my list. My bucket list includes: Fall colors in New England, covered bridges in the fall and Maine Lobster (just for me, hubby is allergic to shell fish - of all things). Any help would be greatly appreciated by these two- fairly new to overlanding, in their mid 60's and ready to go on an adventure. We use Gaia to track with and would love to have some routes with sites for dispersed camping. Suggestions, please? Thank you so much. Oh, and also a rescue rig company in the event we can't get our way out of something or somewhere... LOL.
You might check out the Trans-NH route Trans New Hampshire Expedition - Self Guided - ExploringNH

There are also some documented routes that pick up in South Central NY and run North, will try and find the links to them.

Zach_42a0dc

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Harrisburg, PA, USA
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Smith
Member #

You might check out the Trans-NH route Trans New Hampshire Expedition - Self Guided - ExploringNH

There are also some documented routes that pick up in South Central NY and run North, will try and find the links to them.
Here are the links: North East Backcountry Discovery Route (NEBDR) Map & Information for the Northeast route. See this thread https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/new-england-fall-overland-trip.44541/ for some OB discussion on the route, which is important since it's not necessarily designed for 4x4's.

Pam Ferguson

Rank II

Member I

Arkansas, USA
First Name
Pam
Last Name
Ferguson
Member #

Here are the links: North East Backcountry Discovery Route (NEBDR) Map & Information for the Northeast route. See this thread https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/new-england-fall-overland-trip.44541/ for some OB discussion on the route, which is important since it's not necessarily designed for 4x4's.
THank you so very much. I will definitely check those out! If I can every be of assistance with areas in Arkansas, let me know. We have some really great but tough routes. Always with pin strips. LOL

• Love

Pam Ferguson

Rank II

Member I

Arkansas, USA
First Name
Pam
Last Name
Ferguson
Member #

If you plan to spend a decent amount of time in PA, check out www.PurpleLizard.com

They have very detailed maps for most all of the Pennsylvania State Forests and some in West Virginia.

View attachment 240167

Tuscarora State Forest map has a lot of Covered Bridges and many dispersed campsites.

Pine Creek map has the area of the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon.

Bald Eagle State Forest is the most popular wilderness area in the state.

The Quehanna Wild Area has a lot of interesting things to see.

If any of this interests you, let me know, and I can get more specific in my sharing of knowledge.
This was a huge help! I had planned on making it to north of Nashville, TN on our first night. Then to somewhere around Wheeling or Weirton, WV. If we found somewhere near Wheeling we could head East and hit the Tuscarora State Forest. (You had me at Covered Bridges & dispersed campsites.) So if you have some specific places or routes, I would appreciate it. Is there a known route fro Tuscarora up through the top end of Pine Creek?
Why is the Bald Eagle State Forest the most popular?
I think we would be in PA for 2 nights on our trip up north and then probably one night on our way back through. But who knows.... we are the kind that might find a beautiful spot and say.... let's stay a while longer. We really are not on a time crunch.

Pam Ferguson

Rank II

Member I

Arkansas, USA
First Name
Pam
Last Name
Ferguson
Member #

This was a huge help! I had planned on making it to north of Nashville, TN on our first night. Then to somewhere around Wheeling or Weirton, WV. If we found somewhere near Wheeling we could head East and hit the Tuscarora State Forest. (You had me at Covered Bridges & dispersed campsites.) So if you have some specific places or routes, I would appreciate it. Is there a known route fro Tuscarora up through the top end of Pine Creek?
Why is the Bald Eagle State Forest the most popular?
I think we would be in PA for 2 nights on our trip up north and then probably one night on our way back through. But who knows.... we are the kind that might find a beautiful spot and say.... let's stay a while longer. We really are not on a time crunch.
Also have you taken the Trans-NH route Trans New Hampshire Expedition - Self Guided - ExploringNH ? Thoughts?

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I would highly suggest getting the Tuscarora Purple Lizard map. There is no organized route through Tuscarora. And depending how many covered bridges you want to see...you could spend a good amount of time seeking them out.

The bridges are clearly marked on the map.

I do have a route from tuscarora through Bald Eagle and up through Pine Creek.

I could probably share the Bald Eagle and Pine Creek route(I actually think another member added them to the map in the group), but Tuscarora does weird things to GPS mapping apps.

When I get a chance later, I will try to get some pics of the map and a route summary.

Bald Eagle is the moat popular because it has many 4x4 High Clearance Trail/drivable trail. And is near a college town and has 4 state parks in the area of the forest.

I do not know anything about the Trans New Hampshire route except for what I read.

Be back soon with more info for Tuscarora.

Wanderer351

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

bladensburg,ohio
Member #

We did a similar trip this June unfortunately near Bar Harbor there’s not much dispersed wind up staying with Walmart. I definitely recommend using the iOverlander app and if you’re looking for some back roads there is the New Hampshire back country discovery route. I’ve shared all of my Gaia routes public if you have a more modern tablet you should be able to activate the public route tab. It’s absolutely gorgeous up in that area lobster fantastic and you’ve got to try the blueberry pie!

Video of our trip!

Reactions: Zach_42a0dc

Pam Ferguson

Rank II

Member I

Arkansas, USA
First Name
Pam
Last Name
Ferguson
Member #

We are traveling from Philly to Vermont on Oct 6th if ya want to convoy with us.
Thanks so much! How long will you be out? We will be in the Adirondacks by then. Then over to eat a lobster in Maine. Before returning thru NH/VT . We decided to head north and drives down with the changing colors….. will you be VT For a week?

SwatMedic

Rank I

Contributor III

Norristown, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Tomaselli
Service Branch
Army
We are traveling from Philly to Vermont on Oct 6th if ya want to convoy with us.
Thanks so much! How long will you be out? We will be in the Adirondacks by then. Then over to eat a lobster in Maine. Before returning thru NH/VT . We decided to head north and drives down with the changing colors….. will you be VT For a week?
We are going to the Pilgrimage. Oct 6th to 9th. In South Royalton VT.