New England coastal route/camping? (NY -> ME)

• HTML tutorial

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
We're finally getting around to deciding where to go this summer. My daughter is missing the ocean, my wife wants to see the Statue of Liberty since we didn't make it last time we were over that direction, and I'm wanting dispersed camping and staying away from busy campgrounds. I've been told about the North Maine Woods, I've also seen a route for checking out the lighthouses. Last time we were in Maine we had a traditional travel trailer and stayed in Saco and visited Old Orchard Beach, made a day trip up the coast to Acadia. Wandered around Freeport. The usual.

In my searches so far it doesn't seem like there's much in terms of coastal or near-coastal routes and dispersed camping? In which case it seems like we either do traditional campgrounds near the coast or we head inland for dispersed camping and better overland travel.

If that's the case then that's all I need to know and we just need to decide if we basically want to re-do the same trip we've already done. I'm fine with making some compromises and staying at commercial campgrounds where needed, I'd just prefer to keep that to a minimum or visit smaller, more quaint ones. Wouldn't mind staying at/near Acadia as well, provided we can get a spot.

Am I missing anything? Any coastal routes/suggestions?

Thanks!

Reactions: Londonmeanswild

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

Route 1 goes from NY to Maine, but it will be on road. Staying overnight will probably be in campgrounds along that route. I have been on different parts of 1 through the states and in Maine. I am not sure of any dispersed along the route.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Route 1 goes from NY to Maine, but it will be on road. Staying overnight will probably be in campgrounds along that route. I have been on different parts of 1 through the states and in Maine. I am not sure of any dispersed along the route.
Thanks, that's what I thought.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Route 1 is the coastal route and is built up a lot in many areas but has many beautiful miles. Any questions, feel free to ask.
Thanks, will do! That is definitely a beautiful route as we drove it from Saco to Ellsworth in 2019 when we visited Acadia NP. We love the Maine coast (and the inland areas that we visited), personally the coast of Maine is one of my want-to-live-there destinations but I don't think I'll be able to convince my wife because of the winters. :D (More snow than here in Illinois but it gets dang cold here!).

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I did 3 parts to this while exploring again along the Maine Coast. This is part 1. Each of the CG's we stayed at were good, coastal and on season you better have reservations!

[tube]

couchpotato23

Rank II

Enthusiast III

New York
If your interested, you can camp out on the beach on long island - no ground tents. You'd need to buy the out of state resident pass (closes today until it re-opens for purchase in September). If you snagged it today, you could do one night near central Long Island, one night in Montauk and take a ferry from Montauk to New London, by-passing the city. Then head through Rhode Island. If you miss the pass deadline, there is also a Suffolk County specific pass that allows beach access too, its more expensive, but I don't think there is a deadline. That gives you access to a few beaches as well.

Reactions: RJ Howell