New Company Name?

• HTML tutorial

Yota-Rover

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey everyone, so i have started designing a flatbed camper system and have yet to fully decide on a name for the company I am putting together. So far we go by Osprey Outfitters, it was a cool idea myself and a friend came up with, but “Osprey” seems very common in the outdoor market. Any ideas on a company name? Should we keep it how it is? Or change it?
(I just started a social media account under Osprey Outfitters, any help or suggestions there would be awesome too!)

Please excuse the brevity of this post. (Really busy with full time work and (after hours) getting the camper system designed and built)
Let me know if I need to elaborate on or clarify anything.

Last edited:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Have you done a Google search and Domaine search on your name? Does somebody else own the domaine sites. Have you trademarked your logo and name. Start there.
I first questions you need to ask yourself. What makes us different and unique from our competition? Can we sell enough to reach our goals?
I wish you luck and fortune in your pursuits.

I just did a quick search, there is a fly fishing outfit using Osprey Outfitters. What about Osprey Rigs, or Osprey Overlanders. You get the idea.

Last edited:

Yota-Rover

Rank 0

Traveler I

Have you done a Google search and Domaine search on your name? Does somebody else own the domaine sites. Have you trademarked your logo and name. Start there.
I first questions you need to ask yourself. What makes us different and unique from our competition? Can we sell enough to reach our goals?
I wish you luck and fortune in your pursuits.

I just did a quick search, there is a fly fishing outfit using Osprey Outfitters. What about Osprey Rigs, or Osprey Overlanders. You get the idea.
Awesome, thanks for the input it is much appreciated!

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Start at home and build from there.
Where are you located? City, County or State?
Maybe your home is famous for a special bird, agricultural product or animal?
A famous person?
A famous event happened there?
Then decide how that flows with what you produce. Use synonym.com to look for other names that are similar to
Then start searching here to find out if it is trademarked, registered or patented. trademarkia.com
Then go and see what .com or variable is available for you to buy? godaddy.com

I work for a company who owns more than 500 trademarks and registries. When we find a company using a common name that we own the rights to, we have to send them a Cease & Desist letter with proof of our ownership. If the don't my boss is mroe than h appy to take them to court for infringement.

A perfect example is a friend who owns a local tavern he named (insert name here) Tavern. There is another (insert name here) Tavern in the state who owns the trademark to. After having a neon sign, branded marketing material, indoor signage made with (insert name here), he received a C&D and lost a shit ton of money and had to rebrand.

If you want help, answer the questions above and PM them to me. I can help get you sorted out. I am editor and copywriter... its what I do.

Reactions: Yota-Rover

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Need pics of camper in and out, to name it.

Ospreys kinda suck anyways. They chirp like baby birds and are quite timid around anything other than fish.

Personally, I hate the giant brand naming of RV's. ''Artic Alpha Wolf, Leg humper edition, by Gulfsteam inc. Owned by Thor.''

Yota-Rover

Rank 0

Traveler I

Start at home and build from there.
Where are you located? City, County or State?
Maybe your home is famous for a special bird, agricultural product or animal?
A famous person?
A famous event happened there?
Then decide how that flows with what you produce. Use synonym.com to look for other names that are similar to
Then start searching here to find out if it is trademarked, registered or patented. trademarkia.com
Then go and see what .com or variable is available for you to buy? godaddy.com

I work for a company who owns more than 500 trademarks and registries. When we find a company using a common name that we own the rights to, we have to send them a Cease & Desist letter with proof of our ownership. If the don't my boss is mroe than h appy to take them to court for infringement.

A perfect example is a friend who owns a local tavern he named (insert name here) Tavern. There is another (insert name here) Tavern in the state who owns the trademark to. After having a neon sign, branded marketing material, indoor signage made with (insert name here), he received a C&D and lost a shit ton of money and had to rebrand.

If you want help, answer the questions above and PM them to me. I can help get you sorted out. I am editor and copywriter... its what I do.
Awesome, thanks for all the info! I will definitely run my ideas through all you suggested. I’m sure I’ll have questions. (I’ve been designing and fabricating for a while (at another company) but new to the legal side of things)

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Like stated earlier, if you plan on getting to be a decent size and want a website, etc, you will need a name that has an available .com domain. That will be a big variable in finding your brand.

Reactions: Yota-Rover

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I have placed a few names on businesses in my short professional career thus far. Here is a sure fire way to get a solid name. Gather a few friends that are involved in the endeavor with you, build a nice little campfire with some of your campers nearby and then open a bottle of something good to pass around. Don't try to pass around a bottle of Kentucky Gentleman or something awful like that. Some of the worse decisions of my life can be contributed to cheap booze. Break the seal on a bottle of Blanton or Winkle or McKenna or my personal favorite - Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Or if you are a rum kind of guy you can never go wrong with a bottle of Pusser's Rum. I don't splurge much, but I have always had a bottle of 15 year Pusser's Rum squirreled away for needed consolation or inspiration. Pass that around until you drain the bottle and then put your collective inebriated minds to the task of coming up with a name. You're sure to come up with something fantastic.

Reactions: chuckoverland

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Awesome, thanks for all the info! I will definitely run my ideas through all you suggested. I’m sure I’ll have questions. (I’ve been designing and fabricating for a while (at another company) but new to the legal side of things)
Do you have a "do not compete contract", If you do rethink what you are doing.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
This can screw you in ways you wouldnt even think. I was an automotive and diesel mechanic for nearly 20 years working for various companies before finally going self employed under my dad's buisiness name (well established automotive and agriculture repair and fabrication shop). 2 years later with failing health, loads of medical bills, and uprising debts, we decided to sell the shop (not the buisiness). Upon final sale of the shop, the buyer made my dad sign a "do not compete" contract, wich went sraight to me even though I was under my own bond, just using the family buisiness name. I was forced to give up my services in my tri-county region. I couldnt work at any private or public shop where I could use my expirience to make or save the company money. I was pulled into court 2 different times. First I went to work for a private trucking company working on private trucks maintaing them to DOT standards, all major repairs to the trucks was done at the local freightliner. The second time was because I was helping a disabled friend put breaks on his car (I accepted no pay or compensation of any kind). First case I had to quit the company, and the second one I was fined the price that the shop would have charged for the brake service.

Inconclusion, just be carfull of how you go about this with a no compete contract. Even if you are fabricating a completly different kind of product that uses 0 of your previous employers designs and/or tequniques it could get you in trouble.

As for a name... I had a custom motorcycle shop during the motorcycle boom in the mid 2000's, it was called Slim's Custom Cycles llc. It has a ring to it, I was well known in my area for my nickname on my bike, and I had a signuter style to go with the bikes I rebuilt. My dad's buisiness name stated who he was and what he did.

You state that you are building (or going to build) flatbed pickup campers. So chose a name that states that your campers are for flat bed pickups. Something like "Flat-pack Kampers". It describes what the camper is, has a memorable ring to it, sounds outdoorsy as well as adventurous, and the name would be easy to remember for a quick google search.

Yota-Rover

Rank 0

Traveler I

Good eye, but no, no sort of contract of that sort is in effect. In fact the company I work for is assisting with and facilitating the prototype build. They/we don’t produce a product per say. Everything is a one off project. High end homes stuff in Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur.

Yota-Rover

Rank 0

Traveler I

This can screw you in ways you wouldnt even think. I was an automotive and diesel mechanic for nearly 20 years working for various companies before finally going self employed under my dad's buisiness name (well established automotive and agriculture repair and fabrication shop). 2 years later with failing health, loads of medical bills, and uprising debts, we decided to sell the shop (not the buisiness). Upon final sale of the shop, the buyer made my dad sign a "do not compete" contract, wich went sraight to me even though I was under my own bond, just using the family buisiness name. I was forced to give up my services in my tri-county region. I couldnt work at any private or public shop where I could use my expirience to make or save the company money. I was pulled into court 2 different times. First I went to work for a private trucking company working on private trucks maintaing them to DOT standards, all major repairs to the trucks was done at the local freightliner. The second time was because I was helping a disabled friend put breaks on his car (I accepted no pay or compensation of any kind). First case I had to quit the company, and the second one I was fined the price that the shop would have charged for the brake service.

Inconclusion, just be carfull of how you go about this with a no compete contract. Even if you are fabricating a completly different kind of product that uses 0 of your previous employers designs and/or tequniques it could get you in trouble.

As for a name... I had a custom motorcycle shop during the motorcycle boom in the mid 2000's, it was called Slim's Custom Cycles llc. It has a ring to it, I was well known in my area for my nickname on my bike, and I had a signuter style to go with the bikes I rebuilt. My dad's buisiness name stated who he was and what he did.

You state that you are building (or going to build) flatbed pickup campers. So chose a name that states that your campers are for flat bed pickups. Something like "Flat-pack Kampers". It describes what the camper is, has a memorable ring to it, sounds outdoorsy as well as adventurous, and the name would be easy to remember for a quick google search.
Wow, I couldn’t imagine how terrible that situation would be...

(just now posted an answer to the question)

Good ideas! I’ll keep them in mind!

And yes, it is a family run and operated business. I will most likely eventually, years down the road, be the next head operator (“owner” if you will) of the company if the overland camper idea doesn’t take off. Even off the camper is successful I will probably try to keep both up and running. (Just need more really skillful guys) and a bigger shop!

Reactions: M Rose

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Since its a camper for flat beds first thing I thought of was, Flat Out Camping. Tag line could be something like, make your truck play as hard as it works.