Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Here is our most recent camp that we set up in November 2015 in the hills of southwest Va.. New, bigger better tent, and our new ( to us ) FZJ80 This vehicle without question is far superior to the TJ Rubicon for long range trips and it easily rivals the TJ off road as we are locked all three ways and the 80 doesn't even know the trailer is back there.. A few years ago we were stuck in our old tent for 2 straight days while enduring the downpours that ended up ravaging the Rocky Mountain NP region. We concluded, never again will we be stuck in such a small tent while waiting out a storm... The OZ tent, quite frankly, kicks butt.. DSC02075 2.jpg

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

That is a nice setup. Can you stand up in that?

I have been to many places that a tent that size would never fit in. Our 10' x 10' is tricky to find a good spot at times. But if you have the space.. why not right?

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
DSC01119.jpg Wow, just dug up this photo from our campsite at Rocky Mnt NP, September of '13... This was just before the deluge began.. Try as we might to go hiking in the rain, the washed out trails prevented that... I earlier stated we were stuck in the tent for 2 days, it was more like two and a half days... our neighbors were washed out the first day, we luckily chose a tent pad on higher ground... nonetheless, an experience to share with family and a great adventure after having nothing go wrong the previous week in Moab..

Last edited:

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I wish we had places like that on the East Coast.
They are very few and far between, but they do exist. Unbelievable as it may seem, Maine has one of the largest and most remote back country areas in the lower forty eight. There are also a couple of areas for remote camping in the Appalachians. and some of the barrier islands. Once you wander up into New Brunswick, Quebec, or the Maritimes all bets are off. Millions of acreage all to yourself.. You just gotta have the time to explore.. But yes,,, We are hooked on the western US and am currently planning another trip to begin on the 26th of December. In the meantime we'll continue to search and find good spots in the eastern US..

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

They are very few and far between, but they do exist. Unbelievable as it may seem, Maine has one of the largest and most remote back country areas in the lower forty eight. There are also a couple of areas for remote camping in the Appalachians. and some of the barrier islands. Once you wander up into New Brunswick, Quebec, or the Maritimes all bets are off. Millions of acreage all to yourself.. You just gotta have the time to explore.. But yes,,, We are hooked on the western US and am currently planning another trip to begin on the 26th of December. In the meantime we'll continue to search and find good spots in the eastern US..
I.second.that..........Maine.and.the.Maritimes....are.righteous.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Digging that cruiser man. There's nothing like an 80.
No,, there is not.... eveer since I owned a 40 back in the late 70's I always wanted another LC.. bought the 80 nearly 3 years ago after a decade of attempting to make the Rubi cruiser like, sold the Rubi and will never look back.. 80s kick it..

Cpl J

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Madras Oregon
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ke7cqw
View attachment 1063 Wow, just dug up this photo from our campsite at Rocky Mnt NP, September of '13... This was just before the deluge began.. Try as we might to go hiking in the rain, the washed out trails prevented that... I earlier stated we were stuck in the tent for 2 days, it was more like two and a half days... our neighbors were washed out the first day, we luckily chose a tent pad on higher ground... nonetheless, an experience to share with family and a great adventure after having nothing go wrong the previous week in Moab..
Nice setup