Rank II

Contributor III

SoCal
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Beach
Member #

My cheap compressor for airing up finally died this weekend. I would like to upgrade to a mounted air system. Is ARB the only game in town? I prefer mounted in engine bay.

B

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I have ARB CKMA12 since some years now. Reliable and comparable small in size. Lives in my seat box. The compressor supplies the lockers with air. In addition I have installed two standard workshop air supplies and a 2.5 gallons/ 9.5 liter air pressure tank.

As far as I know, there are a few good assembly solutions for the ARB compressors for the Jeep Wrangler JKU. The Jeep guys here certainly know more and better. Look also at this topic here:

Maybe that helps to find a solution which fits your purposes best.

Reactions: OverlandPearl

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I have a Viair 300P, very nice unit for the price.
The Viairs are also good, right. Had a 400P before installing the ARB. The ARB came with the lockers, so I sold the Viair and installed the ARB instead. Without adding the lockers, I would certainly still have had the Viair, I was always satisfied with it.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I love my ViAir 400P. Works great and is much cheaper than the ARB. I would not mount an air compressor under the hood of any vehicle - too much heat, dust, moisture and vibration when mounted under the hood and I have heard of so many failures of those under the hood vs mounted under the seat or anywhere inside the vehicle.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I love my ViAir 400P. Works great and is much cheaper than the ARB. I would not mount an air compressor under the hood of any vehicle - too much heat, dust, moisture and vibration when mounted under the hood and I have heard of so many failures of those under the hood vs mounted under the seat or anywhere inside the vehicle.
That's a really good point regarding the mounting position! That's why I have the compressor mounted inside the seat box. I've seen an under seat mount kit for the dual compressor from ARB for the Jeep JKU. The compressor goes under the passenger seat with that kit. Maybe that´s an idea?!

Reactions: OverlandPearl

OverlandPearl

Rank II

Contributor III

SoCal
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Beach
Member #

What type of failures happen under the hood? Are the units serviceable, or are they toast?

ARBs website says they are dust and moisture resistant.

I have a lock box under both front seats and need to maximize space for Overlanding.

Are there any under the rear seat mounts?