St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
So I have a slightly odd project, at least to me. This summer we had a critter messing with our ground tent, scared my wife pretty good. I came up with a quick solution of installing 4 cheap LED pods on my roof rack, as well as a cheap wireless controller. Idea was if we heard something I could turn those lights on from inside the tent, they do a decent job of lighting the area up and letting me see whats going on outside.

Anywho, I'm currently re-wiring all my lights, cleaning up my too-quickly done mess. And I had a thought, I was wondering if there's a way to add to the list of lights that come on with the remote. Currently, the remote system supplies positive power to the coil side of the relay, relay activates and the lights come on.

Here's the question, is there a way to wire all my relays for lights (4 in total) so that my switches inside still control their associated relay individually, and perhaps have another relay (controlled by the remote) be able to engage them all? Seems like I'd need something involving diodes, can't wrap my head around it.

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
Hmmm... I’m not a pro at wiring, but it seems to me that it’s t should be able to be done... just not sure on a 12v system... lemme do some looking and see what I can find. If I don’t get back to you, I didn’t find anything before I left the country.

Orrr... I’m lost in YouTube watching cat videos.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Im not sure but I think SPod has something that is remote/bluetooth. Just a suggestion.

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Can't afford the spod, wayyy out of budget

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

How exactly is your system wired currently? I'm a little confused on where you're at, but I get what you're trying to achieve.

I'd also ask if you can find the power figures for the led's, knowing how much current they draw will help us figure out what kind of relay to use for the remote switch.

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
I think I have it figured out, diodes are here, just need to get to wiring. The problem I was having is without diodes I couldn't have 1 relay turn 4 relays on, and still be able to control each relay individually. If it works I'll draw a diagram of what I end up with.

Rob K

Rank II

Advocate II

I was thinking about this for a while and I’m sure there is a number of ways to achieve this. Probably with and without diodes.

My first thought would be to take the output of your remote controlled relay and tie it inline into the light relay circuits between the out of your switch and the input of the coil on the light relay. Do this for each relay circuit and you have control of all the lights.

Hard to think about or explain without being there or drawing it but I’m curious to see what you come up with.

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
Hmmm... I’m not a pro at wiring, but it seems to me that it’s t should be able to be done... just not sure on a 12v system... lemme do some looking and see what I can find. If I don’t get back to you, I didn’t find anything before I left the country.

Orrr... I’m lost in YouTube watching cat videos.
So I didn't find anything specifically that would help. I didn't spend a bunch of time on it because I had such bad internet in Belize that I just didn't bother even using it for anything but email. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
So I found the solution a little while back, diodes were the answer, works great. I have independent control of the lights, but can turn them all on at once also.

20180105_095432.jpg

Reactions: Rob K and nickburt

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Works great, switch panel looks good too I think :) Electrical isn't my specialty, lol. Under the hood I have micro relays, also used a blue sea fuse panel and circuit breaker.

20171230_110852.jpg
20171228_122827.jpg
20171230_110007.jpg