Need some winch advice please!

• HTML tutorial

mase001

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

im building my 4Runner and will ultimately get a bumper and winch but probably won't for a few months to 1 year. My question is, should I invest in a hand winch?

I've read they are great and also they suck and to be honest I have zero experience with any type of hand winch capable of pulling more than about 600lbs.

I would assume a hand winch is better than no winch but I often get myself in trouble assuming. I won't be attempting any snowy/muddy trails for a long while but I also don't want to forego it if they're very useful and a good thing to carry!

Thanks in advance! Mason

imperialJKU

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

A good rule is usually 1.5 to 2 times the weight of the vehicle. Personally, I would suggest an electric winch. Guess it depends on how aggressive you plan to be and what type of terrain. I have a Smittybilt X20 series and I love it. A 2 ton come along is another option that's very inexpensive. I've used mine many times.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Vyscera

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I've used a come-along (3 guys two winches) to pull a wrecked dodge onto a flat bed. That was miserable, and took forever. Not too different than being bogged with the extra resistance. I also had a hand winch on a trailer to operate the metal gate/ramp. I liked it so much I put a harbor freight electric winch on it after a couple months! I love electric nose jack on big trailers. Work smarter, not harder.

Reactions: imperialJKU

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I agree with @coffeecow. Go with a Hi Lift and get the Off Road Kit. You'll need other recovery equipment like tree strap(s), winch extension(s) or 3/8" Grade 70 transit chain, and at least four 3/4" bow shackles. There are a couple way to use it as a winch, which is mostly dependent on how far you have to move the vehicle and what equipment you have with you.

The other uses make it a great addition to your kit, just make sure you know what you're doing and how to use it safely. Even without bumpers or sliders, you can use the Hi Lift and the Lift Mate on a wheel if you need to lift the truck. This of course wont's let you do some things, like change a tire (unless you have stands with you), but it's a pretty handy tool to have.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

3rd on the hi-lift, few shackles and blocks, chain you are golden, also great if you need to go backwards!