Need some real world suggestions on lighting options.

• HTML tutorial

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

Looking to add some forward facing lighting on my #adventurevan.

Any suggestions on what lights to run on the bumper? I'd like to achieve 2 things... good long distance lighting AND good side lighting. Old skool me thinks about running 2 Hella 500 driving lights and 2 Hella 500 fog lights up front. I LOVE the Hella 500 and 700 series.

Down the road, will have a roof rack that I'd consider installing an LED light bar on, but don't have that even close to dialed in yet.

What are you all running?

Thanks!

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have Baja Designs up front XL pro speed spots and XL pro LED driving/combo. They are about 5 years old, they have some new stuff that looks great too. I would not put a light bar over head. with a overhead you are not behind the light you are under it.

Reactions: loper and Andy G

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I wanted lighting for the beach, I didn't need massive range since I'd be traveling under 20MPH just a bit more than high beams and extreme wide angle.
LEDs are the easiest to work with since they draw a tiny load compared to anything halogen.
I went with a single row LED on the roof and mounted it UNDER the roof rack.
Plus 2 "sidelighters" aimed out, left and right.

With zero LED experience I shopped by price only on Amazon and spent less than $120 for all 3 lights.
I run them off the factory fog switch. They do everything I need.

Also mounted the roof LED far enough back so there is no glare off the hood.

IMG_2934.jpeg

And turned the cornering lights also to avoid lighting the hood.

DSC_0051.jpeg

4 years of trouble free lighting.

Running off the fog light switch meant they only come on with the low beam....
But if you break one prong off the fog light relay,,,,, the fogs now stay on in high beam too.

IMG_0077.jpeg

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I read an interesting comment a while back from a guy who has travelled many continents.

He never upgrades lighting since better lighting encourages higher night time speeds.
He also feels night travel in foriegn countries or even at home if off road, overlanding adds incredible risk.
So he tends to stop before dark. Never travel at night. And when he must he travels slower never exceeding the range of the stock lighting.
Hard to argue with that logic.

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

The Nilight lights are pretty good and don't break the bank. I have one of their 12 inch bars and and will be adding two of the ditch lights to the sides of my hood. When I put a roof rack on I will run a full set across the front and possibly a small cube on each side. Followed by two spots lights on the rear of my bed rack.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

The Nilight lights are pretty good and don't break the bank. I have one of their 12 inch bars and and will be adding two of the ditch lights to the sides of my hood. When I put a roof rack on I will run a full set across the front and possibly a small cube on each side. Followed by two spots lights on the rear of my bed rack.
If you get the Amazon special nilights be prepared to have water in them. Really any of the cheap square light cubes and bars leak i have 12 of those pods and a few 60" bars laying around and every one has moisture in it. They still work just fine but it is rather annoying to see moisture in em and know that eventually they will fail. The round pod lights don't leak as bad and are easier to seal up.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
If you get the Amazon special nilights be prepared to have water in them. Really any of the cheap square light cubes and bars leak i have 12 of those pods and a few 60" bars laying around and every one has moisture in it. They still work just fine but it is rather annoying to see moisture in em and know that eventually they will fail. The round pod lights don't leak as bad and are easier to seal up.
I have Baja's and Nilights on my truck for 2.5 years now, the Baja's are the ones I have condensation in. I took three attempts to get the Baja's sealed up. I have a Autofeel 42" bar on my roof rack and get a touch of condensation on one end. The difference I see between the imports and USA made is color spectrum, Baja's are whiter color, and are brighter by 20% or more.

Reactions: Lil Bear

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

The bar I have now was purchased for me as a gift but I will keep that in mind. I honestly haven't heard bad things about that brand.

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I read an interesting comment a while back from a guy who has travelled many continents.

He never upgrades lighting since better lighting encourages higher night time speeds.
He also feels night travel in foriegn countries or even at home if off road, overlanding adds incredible risk.
So he tends to stop before dark. Never travel at night. And when he must he travels slower never exceeding the range of the stock lighting.
Someone in your party could be critically injured and you may need to drive him out before sunrise.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I get more light in almost all directions, I change my halogen headlights to projector style and installed HIDs. My rig already has fog lights, so I just replaced the halogen bulbs to HID as well. For further output I put a 20" flood light bar in my bull bar. I didn't entertain putting lights on my roof rack bar as others have complained about light shining on their hoods, plus whistle noise from wind.

Also installed ditch lights for side visibility. In the picture below there is some reflection on the windshield.

IMG_4604.jpg

Lights on camper shell and below rig.

IMG_4766.jpg

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

""They" mostly come out at night. Mostly."

Reactions: 64Trvlr

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I get more light in almost all directions, I change my halogen headlights to projector style and installed HIDs. My rig already has fog lights, so I just replaced the halogen bulbs to HID as well. For further output I put a 20" flood light bar in my bull bar. I didn't entertain putting lights on my roof rack bar as others have complained about light shining on their hoods, plus whistle noise from wind.

Also installed ditch lights for side visibility. In the picture below there is some reflection on the windshield.

View attachment 179669

Lights on camper shell and below rig.

View attachment 179670
Great setup all around. The lighting looks really good, too. I'd like to put some clearance lights but dont want to drill into my roof, so I thought I would put them on my Leer 180 shell, right where it levels off a little higher than the cab. Maybe a 12 inch bar in the grill, and follow your lead with a couple on each side of the shell.

Also thought about some amber DOT inch lights, about 3 per side just under the doors, to illuminate the steps a little dimly.

Clearance markers and steps to come on when the amber parking/running lights are on, and all others operated by a small tray of switches that will either be under dash or in the sunglasses storage, or in the cubby to the upper left of the steering wheel.

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Great setup all around. The lighting looks really good, too. I'd like to put some clearance lights but dont want to drill into my roof, so I thought I would put them on my Leer 180 shell, right where it levels off a little higher than the cab. Maybe a 12 inch bar in the grill, and follow your lead with a couple on each side of the shell.

Also thought about some amber DOT inch lights, about 3 per side just under the doors, to illuminate the steps a little dimly.

Clearance markers and steps to come on when the amber parking/running lights are on, and all others operated by a small tray of switches that will either be under dash or in the sunglasses storage, or in the cubby to the upper left of the steering wheel.
Thanks! It's work in progress sorta. Thought about clearance lights as well, but the thought quickly passed. I don't want to drill, plus my headliner has seen better days. Inch lights would be a cool addition to your rig.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I dunno... Sounds like the argument that any safety equipment causes people to be more careless... there's some truth to it but it's always good to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. If you think your lights make you drive faster then don't use them but I've personally never had that issue.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I like to travel at night , because a) there is less traffic, b) my car and I are slow.
First I put on a combo flood/beam light bar from Superbrightleds for $139; 50" Super Series Off-Road LED Light Bar - 144W - 17,000 Lumens | Super Bright LEDs

In my blog; Land Rover 109 LED light bar

But since I can't have them on on the highway or roads at night I got rid of my sealed beam headlights.

I put some Sylvania LED head lights in; ZEVO LED Assembly Bulbs and Kits- Modern LED Style and Performance | SYLVANIA Automotive

In my blog; LED head lights for 109 Land Rover

Now the headlights light up the road enough I don't feel like I NEED to have more lighting on road.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Someone in your party could be critically injured and you may need to drive him out before sunrise.
I didn't say he removed all the lights,,,,,
I said he finds stock lights do it all.
And if you have a critically injured patient on board, the last thing you need is to hit a deer, or roo, or gazelle at 80mph.

Reactions: MOAK

South_Puget_Sound_OL

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roy, WA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Pinick
Member #

I went with 4 seven inch LED bumper light and a 52" quad row light bar mounted just under the roof rack. More light than needed for sure. Bought it all off Amazon and spent less than 200. However 4 years later half my light bar died and one bumper light started loosing diodes. Just remember you get what you paid for. Still happy they made it that long.

Reactions: RoarinRow