Mountain House, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hambly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6MVX
Hi all- I've searched forums for hours to get some help on this issue, but can't find anything that matches my problem. Hope it's ok to post it here. My stereo has sounded great since the day I bought my GX, and about a year ago I installed a GROM unit to add Bluetooth. It's all been working perfectly until a week ago when suddenly all of the audio options (FM, AM, Disc, Tape) sound terrible. It reminds me of listening to a radio station that isn't quite tuned- not static, but "garbled". I've used the system check and there's no error on the amp (my first guess), but I do have an error 61-40 on the h/u. Can't seem to find what that means. Anyone out there have a suggestion on how I might resolve? I can upload an audio file if that helps. Thx in advance.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Sean S

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
Hi all- I've searched forums for hours to get some help on this issue, but can't find anything that matches my problem. Hope it's ok to post it here. My stereo has sounded great since the day I bought my GX, and about a year ago I installed a GROM unit to add Bluetooth. It's all been working perfectly until a week ago when suddenly all of the audio options (FM, AM, Disc, Tape) sound terrible. It reminds me of listening to a radio station that isn't quite tuned- not static, but "garbled". I've used the system check and there's no error on the amp (my first guess), but I do have an error 61-40 on the h/u. Can't seem to find what that means. Anyone out there have a suggestion on how I might resolve? I can upload an audio file if that helps. Thx in advance.
I think that I just found something. On Page 45 of the following Radio Service Manual for that radio, 61-40 in relation to the cassette tape, means "Mechanical Failure or Cassette Broken". There is also a troubleshooting guide later on in the manual. Hopefully, this information helps.

Reactions: GXnGS

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
The only thing that I could find said that the head unit needs to be replaced if you see that code.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
You might be able to call around to the local car audio shops to see if they have a factory radio lying around from an upgrade done on a customer's car. Or on Craigslist.

GXnGS

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hambly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6MVX
So this morning I disconnected the GROM. Suddenly everything worked great- put back the GROM and it all kept working fine! So just the act of unplugging and re-plugging it all back in seemed to fix the issue. Hopefully it stays that way. Thx everyone.

Reactions: Sean S

Sean S

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
So this morning I disconnected the GROM. Suddenly everything worked great- put back the GROM and it all kept working fine! So just the act of unplugging and re-plugging it all back in seemed to fix the issue. Hopefully it stays that way. Thx everyone.
Excellent news! When I worked as an electronics technician many, many moons ago, reseating cards, components, etc. on systems was a standard fix for most issues. Visually, you could not see any misalignment issues but all it takes is just one pin in a header or connector to not longer be seated properly to cause a world of trouble. Vibrations, etc. can cause components to work their way out of their assigned slots over time. I am thrilled to read that you have your very cool radio back.

Reactions: GXnGS