Enthusiast III

Morgantown, WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Parsley
Member #

Hey everyone!

New to the thread and looking for some new friends!! Would love to know if there is anyone in my general area (Morgantown, WV) that know of any easy beginner trails to take with my fiancee and pups. I was totally spoiled living in AZ most my life, living on the east coast is a lot different for this hobby/lifestyle. Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated!!

SnoBear Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Waxhaw, NC
Member #

H
Hey everyone!

New to the thread and looking for some new friends!! Would love to know if there is anyone in my general area (Morgantown, WV) that know of any easy beginner trails to take with my fiancee and pups. I was totally spoiled living in AZ most my life, living on the east coast is a lot different for this hobby/lifestyle. Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated!!
hey man, not too familiar with that area, I'm in the Charlotte, NC Area and know of some in surrounding areas. Wish I could help more

DrockinWV

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Morgantown, WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Parsley
Member #

H

hey man, not too familiar with that area, I'm in the Charlotte, NC Area and know of some in surrounding areas. Wish I could help more

I appreciate it! I know there has got to be a few places at least around here to get out and play!

DrockinWV

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Morgantown, WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Parsley
Member #

He
I’m new to this whole idea myself... but how close is Dolly Sods to you?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Hey! I'd say maybe 2.5 to 3 hours? My neighbor likes to go backpacking there a lot, but I have never actually been there myself. He really only knows of places to backpack, not so much car camp.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

I’m told there are fire/forest roads there and you can camp... looking to check it out myself at some point. About 4-4.5hrs from me in the VA/DC area.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

DrockinWV

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Morgantown, WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Parsley
Member #

I will have to see if I can locate some type of maps or write up of the area to see all it has to offer. I gotcha, my fiancees brother lives over in Arlington, VA, we were there a few weeks ago driving through with him.

DrockinWV

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Morgantown, WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Parsley
Member #

Oh yeah for sure! It will also have to be somewhat easy until I can get a new set tires for my truck. I dont believe my factory tires would perform as well as a good set of BFG KO2s would. But as far as camping stuff i'm good to go!

DrockinWV

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Morgantown, WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Parsley
Member #

Awesome! I love the 4runners and would have loved to have gotten one myself, but really just needed a truck over anything. I have always loved camping myself, but my fiancee doesnt really see the point lol, so I'm bound and determined to change her mind!

DrockinWV

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Morgantown, WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Parsley
Member #

Kind of disappointing that there isnt a bigger presence of WV overlanding. I know the West Coast is king for this, but as many outdoor activities there are in WV I expected more lol.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Ive got the Mrs. on board and she loved our first off-road trip this past weekend to Peters Mill Rum OHV trail in VA.

DrockinWV

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Morgantown, WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Parsley
Member #

Thats great news, how was it? Im currently flipping through a Atlas/Gazetter and Google maps to find some fun areas in Monongahela NF.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

It was mild and a blast. My true first off-road adventure with the T4R. Loved it! And so did the Mrs. (almost more important). [emoji12]

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

I want to hit up Dolly Sods as well... but not sure if it’s more technical?

Was joined by a fellow member here at Peters Mill Run, sabjku. He showed me the ropes and was a great mentor!!

DrockinWV

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Morgantown, WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Parsley
Member #

Glad to hear that it worked out and you were able to have a meetup with a member to help you out!

That is really my main concern with finding information about trails. I don't want to get caught out somewhere and get myself into trouble, definitely needing a easy first out trip (dont wanna scare the lady out of doing it again).

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Glad to hear that it worked out and you were able to have a meetup with a member to help you out!

That is really my main concern with finding information about trails. I don't want to get caught out somewhere and get myself into trouble, definitely needing a easy first out trip (dont wanna scare the lady out of doing it again).
Exactly!

I told mine to think of it like hiking/backpacking in our suv. She added, in the a/c and no bugs. [emoji16]

Reactions: DrockinWV