Motter76

Rank 0

Contributor I

Minesota, Minnesota, USA
First Name
Marshal
Last Name
motter
Hello, I’m in the market for a new rig and was originally looking at 4runners and wranglers, but everyone I’ve looked either has to many miles or rusted out. I am very picky when it comes to my cars, I love when they get dirty but I hate rust. Since I haven’t been able to find one those I’ve started to look at Subaru outbacks and I’m just curious as to what your guy’s opinion would be on that vehicle. Wether it’s capable enough to do moderate trails. I would probably put a 2” lift on it as well as bumper guards and skid plates. Would that be enough?
thank you for your time

Reactions: Kent R

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

First things we need to know
*How many people are you hauling
*Where are you planning on traveling
*new or used
*budget for rig
*budget for Upgrades/maintenance
*mechanical experience

Motter76

Rank 0

Contributor I

Minesota, Minnesota, USA
First Name
Marshal
Last Name
motter
First things we need to know
*How many people are you hauling
*Where are you planning on traveling
*new or used
*budget for rig
*budget for Upgrades/maintenance
*mechanical experience
Its usually me and one other person sometimes a 3rd. I am looking at used and I am trying to keep it under 20k total. Rig around 13k to16k and rest for mods. I am not a mechanic but I do have some experience and I have family that is very knowledgeable when it come to working on vehicles. I typically travel in northern Minnesota, dirt roads and trials with some downed smaller trees, ruts and mud. Nothing to extreme like rock crawling, just minor to moderate trails.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Its usually me and one other person sometimes a 3rd. I am looking at used and I am trying to keep it under 20k total. Rig around 13k to16k and rest for mods. I am not a mechanic but I do have some experience and I have family that is very knowledgeable when it come to working on vehicles. I typically travel in northern Minnesota, dirt roads and trials with some downed smaller trees, ruts and mud. Nothing to extreme like rock crawling, just minor to moderate trails.
I would suggest 2011ish Xterra, lower mileage 2nd gen 4runner, later low miles Montero, etc. I personally wouldn't get the subaru. For some reason a lot of people like to wheel w/ them here in NJ. They are always dogged out with a ton of stuff that always needs to be fixed. Saving money now may cost you more later. Also, maybe save regrets down the road for not getting what you want. I have a 2013 Tacoma with 123,000 miles on it. Driven hard on the beach, woods, mountains, etc. It drives like brand new with a ton of weight added. I even got 16 mpg this weekend on a 800 mile trip.

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

Check out Softroadingthewest on YouTube. Dude goes "everywhere" in a Forester.

Bluesman

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Arizona, USA
Member #

For my purposes I put my off road faith in Gen 3 4Runners. I'm on my 5th personal build and have overseen the purchase and build out of just over 2 dozen in the past 3 years for off road duty use in CA, AZ, NM, & TX. I purchase them from private sellers online, have them commercially transported, then built to spec. My basic rule of thumb is not to buy anything east of the Mississippi or north of the Mason Dixon Line. A vehicle report can usually tell you were it came from and spent most of its registered life. You can pick up a solid, stock Runner with just under 200K miles for $5000-$6500, figure another grand or so for transport. I sub out all the work but $12K always covers anything you have to do to the powertrain, as well as new tires, suspension, armor, and paint. You end up with a reliable go anywhere off road/daily driver within your $20K budget. The more stuff you and your social circle can do yourselves the more you save. If you go this route remember what Michael says, "buy once, cry once". Don't cut corners on cost when it comes to the things that will make your truck stop and go.

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
As mentioned previously, it really depends on where you are planning on travelling. If maintained Forest Service roads are in your plans, then the Subbie will do you just fine. If you get into some stuff where clearance matters, you'll need something based on a truck chassis. I have had Toyotas (FJ and now 4R), and I feel they are super capable, and very reliable. jeeps are great as well. Just my two cents.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello, I’m in the market for a new rig and was originally looking at 4runners and wranglers, but everyone I’ve looked either has to many miles or rusted out. I am very picky when it comes to my cars, I love when they get dirty but I hate rust. Since I haven’t been able to find one those I’ve started to look at Subaru outbacks and I’m just curious as to what your guy’s opinion would be on that vehicle. Wether it’s capable enough to do moderate trails. I would probably put a 2” lift on it as well as bumper guards and skid plates. Would that be enough?
thank you for your time
FYI, if you post this on the general discussion page you will get more traction.