Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scranton SC
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Broach
Member #

Ok so I am trying to decide on some things for my Tahoe. The biggest thing I am thinking about is should I really consider portal hubs on it or do you think that I would be ok with a 6" lift and a set of 35" tires? I mean would I be ok to keep up with the likes of the OB rig? Also is there anyone out there who has or has seen any quadrasteer rigs out there on the trails?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Luis Merlo

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Humm, Few things to consider. Portals are very expensive, height is not always your friend, Tahoe is already big making it bigger will reduce your trial accessibility in tight spaces. Just lifting a Tahoe properly can be pricy. Personally I would look for a proven lift that gives you the clearance that you want, rest of the money I'd put into Sliders, Lockers, Skid Plates and a good winch and winch bumper. Just my $0.02

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

1derer has a good point, do you really need portal axels or do you simply want them?

What is your overall goal with the rig?

Whatever you chose, remember to post photos.

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Owens Cross Roads, Madison County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I am by no means an expert but I did have a Tahoe at one point that I took off road a fair amount. My advice would be don't make it any bigger and taller than it has to be. My Tahoe was completely stock and I was constantly dinging body panels and replacing side mirrors because I was riding trails.

I would do enough lift for a respectable entry and departure angle but that's about it. Get lockers and let the 350 V8 do it's thing

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
So we had a Chevy Avalanche, which is basically a Tahoe with a bed. It is my opinion that if you did a mild lift, and installed aftermarket bumpers to improve your tire approach clearance, and slapped on some metric 34" tires, you would be doing pretty good. For the larger rigs, its all about route planning. We sometimes need to used reverse a few times to get where we want to go.

+1 on the winch too!

Reactions: 9Mike2

Chromedragon

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Stockton, CA
Member #

I'm also part of the full size club. I have entertained larger tiers etc. I only have a 2.5 in lift ( came from the factory this way) I can probably get away with 35's but that just gives me some additional clearance. The others here are correct bumpers to adjust the approach and departure angles as well as armor and a winch may be better investments to improve the "trailability" I know I keep looking at some of the dents and dings on my rig and wonder how I could have avoided them but where we roam its bound to happen. Best thing is research and planning to keep the sheet metal as straight as possible :)

Casey.Broach

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scranton SC
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Broach
Member #

Humm, Few things to consider. Portals are very expensive, height is not always your friend, Tahoe is already big making it bigger will reduce your trial accessibility in tight spaces. Just lifting a Tahoe properly can be pricy. Personally I would look for a proven lift that gives you the clearance that you want, rest of the money I'd put into Sliders, Lockers, Skid Plates and a good winch and winch bumper. Just my $0.02
Thank you. Will do more research into lifts.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: 1derer