Girard, OH, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Cur
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1DON
Until now my wife and I have used cell phones, maps, and books to do all of our overland outings. When we were out of cell coverage we just dealt with it. We are now expanding our horizons past the "trail book" destinations. So we need more tools. We are looking at the Garmin Mini and running GAIA on a Ipad.

Expectations of the Garmin inreach Mini: SOS feature being the "biggest" reason for it. All of the places we have been have had many others using those trails or have been in groups of two or more. We are looking to get out by ourselves more often.
Is the Mini the way to go? Or do we need to think Garmin Inreach Explorer plus? I just don't "see" the need for the Altimeter setting and the like, as being a $100 plus?

Expectations of the Ipad: to run GAIA (already have the full subscription) Thinking we will go IPAD PRO 10.2 ........ But how much GB (32/64/128/512...) have any of you found you really need?
What is your biggest needs out of your Ipad? We think if we are out of cell range it would only be used for GAIA.
Do the Ipads Bluetooth to the Garmin Mini well. Has anyone had issues with this combination thus far?

All thoughts and input are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
SatCom for the remote places for the win - not Familiar with Garmin mini but if it is so closely related to the InReach I assume it is a sat device.

About a year ago I got an iPad Pro 11 (cellular w/ GPS) and 256 Gb. I love it and have not looked back! Was considering the Alpine $2K offload head end in the Jeep - but the iPad was half as much and I can take it into the house...
After loading tons of Gaia downloaded maps and music I am still over 200Gb free.
Cellular model has a real GPS and does not require external GPS (less batteries, less hassle)
IPad can run a multitude of software - I use Gaia when remote and Apple maps for turn by turn in unfamiliar towns and my tunes always (and FaceTime when possible)
A very cool feature of Gaia is, once you have a track/route, you can tell it to download maps along that route - makes map downloading much simpler.

Overland True North

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Girard, OH, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Cur
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1DON
SatCom for the remote places for the win - not Familiar with Garmin mini but if it is so closely related to the InReach I assume it is a sat device.

About a year ago I got an iPad Pro 11 (cellular w/ GPS) and 256 Gb. I love it and have not looked back! Was considering the Alpine $2K offload head end in the Jeep - but the iPad was half as much and I can take it into the house...
After loading tons of Gaia downloaded maps and music I am still over 200Gb free.
Cellular model has a real GPS and does not require external GPS (less batteries, less hassle)
IPad can run a multitude of software - I use Gaia when remote and Apple maps for turn by turn in unfamiliar towns and my tunes always (and FaceTime when possible)
A very cool feature of Gaia is, once you have a track/route, you can tell it to download maps along that route - makes map downloading much simpler.
Thank you for the input! and I went and amended the GPS name....Garmin InReach Mini

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Let me know if you have any questions or want to bounce something off of another.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@Overland True North , your system sounds solid. I would get an iPad with as much storage as you can afford. Also as @Greg Eigsti suggests get one with cell service to have the built in GPS, then still get the Garmin inreach mini as a residency GPS along with the SoS feature. The only thing I would add to your list is a Ham radio and technician license to make contacts in the event you are way out in the back country.

Overland True North

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Girard, OH, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Cur
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1DON
@Overland True North , your system sounds solid. I would get an iPad with as much storage as you can afford. Also as @Greg Eigsti suggests get one with cell service to have the built in GPS, then still get the Garmin inreach mini as a residency GPS along with the SoS feature. The only thing I would add to your list is a Ham radio and technician license to make contacts in the event you are way out in the back country.
I have my Ham license and I've installed my YAESU FTM-400XDR into my Jeep. Haven't been able to make contact with anyone yet... BUT I did get my vanity callsign approved :) N1DON

I would ask you this question though. I have an SPOD so I ran the power wires to the SPOD instead of the battery. I'm very used to powering off the SPOD and felt that was a safer plan for me

Reactions: Ubiety

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have my Ham license and I've installed my YAESU FTM-400XDR into my Jeep. Haven't been able to make contact with anyone yet... BUT I did get my vanity callsign approved :) N1DON

I would ask you this question though. I have an SPOD so I ran the power wires to the SPOD instead of the battery. I'm very used to powering off the SPOD and felt that was a safer plan for me
What are the SPODS rates at for power. I would also wonder if they have any noise as well.

Do you have your repeaters set up properly? I am making contact with several people down in Yuma, AZ almost nightly.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Until now my wife and I have used cell phones, maps, and books to do all of our overland outings. When we were out of cell coverage we just dealt with it. We are now expanding our horizons past the "trail book" destinations. So we need more tools. We are looking at the Garmin Mini and running GAIA on a Ipad.

Expectations of the Garmin inreach Mini: SOS feature being the "biggest" reason for it. All of the places we have been have had many others using those trails or have been in groups of two or more. We are looking to get out by ourselves more often.
Is the Mini the way to go? Or do we need to think Garmin Inreach Explorer plus? I just don't "see" the need for the Altimeter setting and the like, as being a $100 plus?

Expectations of the Ipad: to run GAIA (already have the full subscription) Thinking we will go IPAD PRO 10.2 ........ But how much GB (32/64/128/512...) have any of you found you really need?
What is your biggest needs out of your Ipad? We think if we are out of cell range it would only be used for GAIA.
Do the Ipads Bluetooth to the Garmin Mini well. Has anyone had issues with this combination thus far?

All thoughts and input are greatly appreciated.
I use an ipad mini 4 and it works perfect. Also fits in the ram mount tab tite mount which keeps it small enough and flexible to put where I want it.

midwesttrekker

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

O'Fallon, MO, USA
First Name
Galen
Last Name
Sinkey
Member #

I have the iPad Pro 11" and the Inreach Mini, running the exact combination you're describing. Since the iPad uses the Inreach Mini for gps, I got the wifi only version of the iPad and saved myself some $. The inreach mini is also nice, because you can set it up to upload your location every 5 or 10 minutes to a public map, so your friends and family can see where you are (you are able to control access to it). In addition to that, if you pair your Inreach Mini to your phone, you can text from your phone through your mini to friends and family as well.

I like having my iPad with me on trips -- I download netflix and youtube videos to it. As a result, I've used all but 24gb of my 256gb unit. Next time I'll probably go for the 500gb model.

Let me know if you have any questions. Happy trails!

JohnKeller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Park City, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Keller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FIQ

Congratulations on your new ticket. Am jealous that you have the 400 installed. My dream.

Reactions: Overland True North

Mudbeast44

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Port St. Lucie, FL, USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Neckles
Member #

So would this be a good option to put in my Gladiator, especially since Gaia works with Apple car play?
Thank you for any advise.

Dual Electronics iPad/Android GPS with Bluetooth - Dual XGPS150A

wishihada4runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

So would this be a good option to put in my Gladiator, especially since Gaia works with Apple car play?
Thank you for any advise.

Dual Electronics iPad/Android GPS with Bluetooth - Dual XGPS150A
I have read that the features are limited and it's clunky with Apple Car Play. I have a short trip coming up this weekend and I'm going to try it out. I will let you know how it works. End game is an inreach with an iPad mini. However, we're planning on buying our first house this fall and I don't think my wife would appreciate me spending another $1000 right now. Already spent $1100 on a lift kit two months ago and lost $500 in the stock market. I'm not a good day trader....

Turnerxc

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Midlothian, VA, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Turner
Member #

I have the iPad Pro 11" and the Inreach Mini, running the exact combination you're describing. Since the iPad uses the Inreach Mini for gps, I got the wifi only version of the iPad and saved myself some $. The inreach mini is also nice, because you can set it up to upload your location every 5 or 10 minutes to a public map, so your friends and family can see where you are (you are able to control access to it). In addition to that, if you pair your Inreach Mini to your phone, you can text from your phone through your mini to friends and family as well.

I like having my iPad with me on trips -- I download netflix and youtube videos to it. As a result, I've used all but 24gb of my 256gb unit. Next time I'll probably go for the 500gb model.

Let me know if you have any questions. Happy trails!
What mount are you using for the iPad. I have a Vector Off-Road bar on order and I have 67 Design arms for phone and iPad but haven't landed on the mount for the iPad yet

wishihada4runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

I have read that the features are limited and it's clunky with Apple Car Play. I have a short trip coming up this weekend and I'm going to try it out. I will let you know how it works. End game is an inreach with an iPad mini. However, we're planning on buying our first house this fall and I don't think my wife would appreciate me spending another $1000 right now. Already spent $1100 on a lift kit two months ago and lost $500 in the stock market. I'm not a good day trader....
Yeah, it’s confirmed. Using Gaia with Apple car play is awful. Trying to navigate the screen while driving through huge potholes was not a good idea. Maybe my wife bought me an iPad mini for my birthday today. I won’t get my hopes up. Hahah

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
What mount are you using for the iPad. I have a Vector Off-Road bar on order and I have 67 Design arms for phone and iPad but haven't landed on the mount for the iPad yet
RAM Mount makes a bunch of different device holders to go with their mounting system. Have used their stuff on motorcycles and cars and like it.

Reactions: Turnerxc

Pathkiller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Effingham, South Carolina, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
I really love GAIA on my iPad Pro Air. The downloadable maps and the layers are great.

I also have a Garmin 770 that's great for most driving. But, you can by "Outdoor" Navigation maps from Garmin if you need to. Another thing to look at for downloading "tracks" in Garmin Basecamp for your laptop. (Best thing for storing a LOT of data!)

I also use my Jeep KL's Navi system. It has most forest roads and I record waypoints and tracks when I drive trails so they will be stored in the Jeep Navi system for next time.

Last edited:

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I have been using GAIA with my 32 gig, 8 in, I-Pad for several years. I bought it used on E-Bay, unlocked to get the GPS and not have to pay cell. Eventually I turned on cell and was glad I did. I added a cover with built in keyboard (removed when mounted in vehicle) and that turned into my primary travel device.
As for Ram Mounts, I run them in everything. I have a mount adapted below my grab handle for my phone and another coming out of the dash for my I-Pad. The best advice I can give you here is, buy the 4 amp Blue Sea usb port. In navigation mode @ full brilliance, these tablets draw quite a bit. All of the usb adapters I tried before this could not keep up with the the I-Pad.

Reactions: BchBum11511