Need Opinion On 4Runner Tire Question

• HTML tutorial

HighSierraOverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fresno, CA
Member #

We've been talking about getting a 4Runner for awhile, and with our second vehicle dying the other day it kind of sped up the process of purchasing the Off-Road Premium we had been looking at. The vehicle won't be here for another week or so as it's still in transit and all of that, but wanted to ask for an opinion on what I should do first.

Obviously our CR-V was only capable of so much, and now we'll probably be getting into the deeper stuff (not necessarily mud, but just further into the woods). I still don't plan on doing anything I'm not comfortable with yet, or think I'm not good enough to manage (or that the vehicle can't handle), but want to make sure I'm not going to get us stuck or put more stress on the vehicle than needed.

I was thinking I should probably do some A/T tries, along with straps, but then I start thinking is it better to just use the stock tires it comes with, and buy a compressor to air them down? Along with some straps? I keep going back and forth, but I'm thinking A/T tires are what I should do?

Does anyone have any recommendations? Maxtrax's at some point will be in the books, but if I'm going to do A/T tires that's going to take most of what I can spend extra.

Just want to make sure we can do some of the roads I've said "no" to before because the CR-V couldn't handle it. Most are forest roads that are still used, but do have semi muddy areas and rocky sections. Some are steep as well. Again, I wouldn't do anything I wasn't comfortable with.

20DYNAMITE07

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Hey!
I have a '15 Trail edition with the stock Dunlap AT20 tires. Don't be fooled by the AT in their name, these are essentially highway tires, and are P (passenger) rated. Having said that, they will take you much further than you think they could go.

However, if you are going to be driving places with rocky shale roads, you might want to consider an LT all terrain tire. More so for the puncture resistance than for the increased traction. The failing of a P rated tires is their puncture resistance. I can recall riding in my parents Isuzu Rodeo back in the 90's, and going over Guardsman Pass between Brighton and Park City, Utah and blowing two tires. It was/is a graded dirt road, and truth be told losing two tires was a total fluke, but it still happened and it sucked.

If you're really getting out there far far away from anyone else, then an LT tire should be on the menu. For regular forest service roads, you should be fine with the stock P tires, unless they are graveled with shale.

As for recovery equipment... you should carry it for sure. Traction boards are great, but pick up 2 shackles and a snatch strap too. A compressor is a must too :)

These are on the stock tires..
AugSep2016DSC_0244 by scottybell1313, on Flickr

DSC_0329 by scottybell1313, on Flickr

HighSierraOverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fresno, CA
Member #

Hey!
I have a '15 Trail edition with the stock Dunlap AT20 tires. Don't be fooled by the AT in their name, these are essentially highway tires, and are P (passenger) rated. Having said that, they will take you much further than you think they could go.

However, if you are going to be driving places with rocky shale roads, you might want to consider an LT all terrain tire. More so for the puncture resistance than for the increased traction. The failing of a P rated tires is their puncture resistance. I can recall riding in my parents Isuzu Rodeo back in the 90's, and going over Guardsman Pass between Brighton and Park City, Utah and blowing two tires. It was/is a graded dirt road, and truth be told losing two tires was a total fluke, but it still happened and it sucked.

If you're really getting out there far far away from anyone else, then an LT tire should be on the menu. For regular forest service roads, you should be fine with the stock P tires, unless they are graveled with shale.
Looks like the LT tires are the way to go then. Definitely know there's some rocky shale like roads I'll be going on. Maybe the first week or two I'll be okay, but later this year I know I'll be in rocky terrain. LT tires do typically require more air too correct?

Nice photos!

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

The day after I picked up my 2016 4Runner Trail, I replaced the OEM tires with five new BFG AT KO2 275/70-17 (one size wider than stock) tires. These are the overwhelming choice of AT tires for 4Runners across every forum I read.

I sold the OEM tires with 50 miles on them for $550 on Craigslist.

Moving to Rig Q&A Forum

tarouszars

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spanish Fork, Utah
Member #

I've been driving my 4runner on the stock tires for about 6 months now. I have been quite impressed with where they could take me. However as has been mentioned they are not super tough. A few weekends ago I was going to the Dinosaur Quarry near Price Utah and managed to puncture both rear tires. One was a slow leak but the other was pretty fast. I replaced the fast leaking tire with my spare and just pumped up the slow leak until I could get home and get them both patched. They are not strong tires and if you have the money I think replacing them with good LT tires and selling the unused stockers is a good idea.

Reactions: HighSierraOverland

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Sounds like your decision is make on the tires, but I would prioritize some recovery gear first if you venture out.

A strap, some d-shackles, a compressor as has been mentioned are all worthwhile and basic necessities IMO.
Traction boards are good, but probably could be delayed until after the tires and figure out just how good that truck is.

There you go, just another opinion! :expressionless:

Dan

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Recovery equipment is great to have and is actually a must have when off roading, but tires are essential to going off road. Tires will give you the confidence needed to go off road much like having 4 wheel drive gives you more confidence over a front wheel drive car does. Recovery equipment can't replace good tires, as traction is the key to off roading. Swap the tires out for some LT rated All Terrain tires - Cooper, BFG and Goodyear tires are great. Sell your stock low mileage tires while they still look great and have no patches or plugs in them and before the sidewalls are damaged.

Reactions: HighSierraOverland

AKBushDag

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
David
Last Name
Plant
Member #

Cooper, BFG and Goodyear all make good tires, so it's a personal choice. As for me, I just upgraded from the BFG AT KO to the BFG AT KO2, I was very happy with the first gen AT KO, but the KO2'S are even better, especially since they are actually rated as a true "Snow" capable tire (the * 'snowflake' rating as compared to the Mud&Snow 'M&S' rating on the KO's).

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Snow states police looks for the snowflake or the $100+ snow chains for sure. Have you gotten a chance to see if they are better in snow? I am moving to Denver in 2 weeks and I want a good snow rated tire because I hate chains.

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

The day after I picked up my 2016 4Runner Trail, I replaced the OEM tires with five new BFG AT KO2 275/70-17 (one size wider than stock) tires. These are the overwhelming choice of AT tires for 4Runners across every forum I read.

I sold the OEM tires with 50 miles on them for $550 on Craigslist.

Moving to Rig Q&A Forum
How do you like the BFGs? I will be getting the new shoes next week and am pretty settled on them.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

How do you like the BFGs?
I like them a lot, but don't have anything to compare with. I only had the OEM tires on for an hour. :)

Before that I had Geolandar A/T-S tires on my Outback, and these are about the same noise level, and those were P tires.

Reactions: GSDforLife