Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I had been reading about the Air Armor air compressors several months back. They seemed really good and I though I would buy one someday. I was in my local auto parts store and they had one, so I picked it up.
However, before I opened it up I found out that I got the M1A1, 15amp cigarette light plug style and not the M240 that clips to the battery and is higher amp draw.
Before I return this thing and order the M240, I want to be sure that I need to.
My truck is a 1990 Suburban and it still has the stock 235/85-16 load E tires on it. They are new AT tires, but stock size. I have no plans to go any bigger as these work just fine everywhere I go.
My question is, will this compressor work good to air back up after trail riding, or do I need to go up to the M240? Anyone here have one of these?
I love the design of it, it is in an Ammo can and it very nicely built. I am a big fan of Ammo cans and use them for other things too. So it fits me well. I just want to make sure I got the right one, the upgrade would not be that much, but the M240 is larger and takes up more space.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Shrug. You might save 4-5 total minutes of kneeling if you go with the M240 over the M1A1. It isnt nothing, though, as 6 minutes airing up vs 11 mins airing iup might mean the difference between skipping airing diwn altogether in the future.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Thanks. I may just keep it. I will air down, but if it is only a few minutes difference it may not be worth it. The M240 does take up more space too.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Yeqh, I am super cheap and practical. But, I recognize we are all human, and while always airing down is the best choice, we all have limits to how long we want to spend airing back up. And, as shallow as it sounds, ~5 minutes (i.e ARB twins and other several-hundred-dollar options) can start to sound really attractive compared to 15 mins with that $30 Walmart compressor (or wherever you and your compressor fall). So, we all just have to find the balance!

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

After thinking about it for a week and a half, I decided that I will return the M1A1 and I ordered the M240. It worked out OK, I paid $109 for the M1A1 and now, probably due to current events, the M240 is only $129, so for the extra $20 I get the better pump. Seemed like a no-brainer.