Need ideas for mounting fuel can on Silverado

• HTML tutorial

91B/91S

Hello all, I have spent hours online trying to find ideas for mounting fuel cans on my Silverado. I currently have a A.R.E. shell installed and have been thinking of also installing a rack on the shell. How well do fuel can work if mounted to a roof rack? How are the Rotopax or other options? Pics would also help. TIA

Nate Romero

Rank IV

Influencer II

Hello all, I have spent hours online trying to find ideas for mounting fuel cans on my Silverado. I currently have a A.R.E. shell installed and have been thinking of also installing a rack on the shell. How well do fuel can work if mounted to a roof rack? How are the Rotopax or other options? Pics would also help. TIA
So I have a ARE on my dodge along with a flat roof rack that I made. I have my 2 awnings up there and have considered building holders to hold Jerry cans. Something to consider is each can filled is about 40 to 45lbs. For me the least amount of weight I can put up top the better. Also not sure of the exact weight restrictions of the toppers also. Not sure what you are running in your bed but maybe a solution would be in there?

Reactions: JCWages

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Rotopax can easily be mounted against the back bed wall and there are metal Jerry can holders that can be bolted down to the bed.

Google this:
rotopax:against bed wall

jerry can mount truck bed

91B/91S

From what I am reading, you guys are recommending I mount them in the bed of the truck, and not on top of the truck. Interesting!

Nate Romero

Rank IV

Influencer II

It all depends on what you have going on in your truck bed. Security will be better. The rotopax are only a couple of inches thick and would work well in that void below the bed rail up against the side of the bed

Reactions: JCWages

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

From what I am reading, you guys are recommending I mount them in the bed of the truck, and not on top of the truck. Interesting!
It all depends on what you plan on doing inside the bed really. If you plan on making a bed platform and sleeping inside the cap then I wouldn't store fuel inside. Otherwise it's more theft-proof inside and may be easier to access.

BlackDogTundra

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Santa Cruz, CA
Member #

I was in the same boat as you. I have an ARE camper shell that I use to sleep in when camped. So, I didn’t want to store gas cans in the bed of the truck. Over time, I’ve acquired 4 (4) gallon rotopax. They are thin and I double stack them on my Rhinorack pioneer tray which is installed on top of the camper shell. It works great!!! When carrying all 4, I dont carry anything else up there except my TREDS. And I dump them into my main tank as soon as I can.

91B/91S

I was in the same boat as you. I have an ARE camper shell that I use to sleep in when camped. So, I didn’t want to store gas cans in the bed of the truck. Over time, I’ve acquired 4 (4) gallon rotopax. They are thin and I double stack them on my Rhinorack pioneer tray which is installed on top of the camper shell. It works great!!! When carrying all 4, I dont carry anything else up there except my TREDS. And I dump them into my main tank as soon as I can.
Thank you BlackDogTundra.