Need ideas for first trip. NW WA

• HTML tutorial

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

I finally got the Carryall back together and seemingly running. We took it out on a short Burger Patrol yesterday to see if it would go about on its own power. And, like I said, so far everything seems to be working. Well, except the new speedo, but that's a minor point.

At the Bastion in Anacortes for burgers n beer.

Cruising along. Body rattling, driveline growling..

So the thought is, we'd like to take this machine somewhere next week. Possibly midweek? Weather permitting, I'm thinking up Highway 20, some off-road running and camp? This'll be the first time taking this beast off-road, so I don't want anything very challenging. We have almost no experience with the backroads up here so we'd love some ideas.

And, if anyone would like to join us? That would be fantastic!

Thanks!

-jim lee

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

Ha, thanks! Its certainly a head turner. Getting it in good enough shape to actually go places is turning out to be quite the chore. I think I bit off more than I thought.

But when it works, it sure is fun!

-jim lee

Crapitecture

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Spokane, WA
Member #

Oh My! What an awesome rig!

I’m on the east side of the state so not a lot of help with places, but I have to be in Seattle for business this coming Thursday, so I was planning to drive over and do some exploration and camping Friday and Saturday.

Flying fuzz

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, WA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
C
Member #

I used to work in Darrington, some neat spots to explore. I just moved back to WA and it's been 7 years since I've been up there, I live in Marysville though which isn't too far so I'd be up for some exploring if you decide to make the trip, just advise.

Tom

Reactions: O-VR-LNDER_CHAD17

EJD

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Oregon Coast Range, Oregon, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I finally got the Carryall back together and seemingly running. We took it out on a short Burger Patrol yesterday to see if it would go about on its own power. And, like I said, so far everything seems to be working. Well, except the new speedo, but that's a minor point.

At the Bastion in Anacortes for burgers n beer.

Cruising along. Body rattling, driveline growling..

So the thought is, we'd like to take this machine somewhere next week. Possibly midweek? Weather permitting, I'm thinking up Highway 20, some off-road running and camp? This'll be the first time taking this beast off-road, so I don't want anything very challenging. We have almost no experience with the backroads up here so we'd love some ideas.

And, if anyone would like to join us? That would be fantastic!

Thanks!

-jim lee
Did you ever end up finding anywhere to go offroading? I know there is Walker Valley ORV in MT Vernon which has 4x4 trails and 35 miles of old logging roads to explore. Just an FYI. This is really the only place I know of in the area to get out besides some remote areas of North Cascades NP.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Merk

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Renton, WA
Member #

I spent a good amount of time last year exploring the Mt. Loop highway area near Darrington. The gravel "highway" goes from Darrington, south to Granite Falls. There alot of random forest roads accessible from there.. Here's a link to what is open, but its still early in the season and alot is still blocked by winter destruction

https://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/cs/detail/!ut/p/z0/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfIjo8zijQwgwNHCwN_DI8zPyBcqYKBfkO2oCABZcx5g/?position=Not Yet Determined.Html&ss=110605&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&pnavid=null&navid=091000000000000&ttype=detail&cid=stelprdb5150593

The Ranger stations also have some detailed maps of the area

EJD

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Oregon Coast Range, Oregon, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I spent a good amount of time last year exploring the Mt. Loop highway area near Darrington. The gravel "highway" goes from Darrington, south to Granite Falls. There alot of random forest roads accessible from there.. Here's a link to what is open, but its still early in the season and alot is still blocked by winter destruction

https://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/cs/detail/!ut/p/z0/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfIjo8zijQwgwNHCwN_DI8zPyBcqYKBfkO2oCABZcx5g/?position=Not Yet Determined.Html&ss=110605&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&pnavid=null&navid=091000000000000&ttype=detail&cid=stelprdb5150593

The Ranger stations also have some detailed maps of the area
That link doesn't work.

Also been down the MLH this year already, went to the Big Four Ice Caves but there was waaay to much snow still, we'll try again in August or September.

Merk

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Renton, WA
Member #

That link doesn't work.

Also been down the MLH this year already, went to the Big Four Ice Caves but there was waaay to much snow still, we'll try again in August or September.
hmm sorry bout that, yeah if you google mountain loop hwy road status itll pop up. They just reopened the gate for the main hwy that follows Sauk R. all the way to Darrington.