Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

First-Aid, fire extinguisher, and vehicle-specific tools at a minium.

Otherwise, not to be flippant, but, just get out there and see what it is you need.

If all you plan to do is day-trips, food and water may be all you need. Maybe some quality A/T tires if you end up doing gravel roads.

Let the type of trips you do determine the level of gear/modification you need. No point in spending thousands of dollars on suspension and recovery tools and racks and bumpers et al if all you're doing is camping down a fire road once every couple of months.

thorstenson203

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Diamond Bar, California, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Thorstenson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YLE
Have a 1992 ls trooper..open to ideas on what i can put on it for overlanding
Like Bama_Kiwi said above, start out with just the basics (i.e., your 10 Essentials) and go from there. Day trips in the beginning are a good thing because you will learn what you need. I've done some day trips to the local areas near me with my truck that is stock and it's helped me realize what mods I should make and what gear I should be carrying.

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

Throw in some food and water, weather appropriate sleeping gear, and go roam around in your local woods for weekend.
Keep track of what you really wish you had brought, or what capabilities you don't have.
When you get back to town correct the deficiencies.
Lather, rinse, repeat. Pretty soon you will have a pretty effective setup.
Don't get sucked in by all the "ultimate" vehicles or gear you see on youtube, etc.
You can have a lot of fun in a stock rig.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

40" tires, 4" lift, a roof top tent, winch, highlift jack, drawer system, Ham Radio, Skottle, drone, 360° awning, The biggest 12v frig/freezer you can fit in your new drawer system, air compressor, girlfriend, dog, Tablet loaded with Gaia, Shower system. All are a must have what you don't need is a trash bag or toilet, Hey!, Mother nature provides!....................just being facetious here, the guys above gave great advice! Old Troopers are great and like Land Rovers lend themselves well to car camping.

• Haha
Reactions: loper