NEED HELP! Rig has trouble Starting! I'M PERPLEXED!!

• HTML tutorial

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

I have a 2000 Xterra! This past week it had trouble starting and acted like the battery was on it's last leg. I would jump it off with my Genius GB40 1000A or off my wife's Altima. It would start right up. So I installed a new Optima Red Top along with new Raptor high end + and - battery terminals. SAME THING....It turns hard and slow and it may or may not start. Jump it off...Fires right up! I'm attaching the jump box and jumper cables battery terminal to battery terminal. Not using the block our anything else as a ground. Or, and once its running it runs fine, charges fine,etc etc

Anyone got any ideas?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have a 2000 Xterra! This past week it had trouble starting and acted like the battery was on it's last leg. I would jump it off with my Genius GB40 1000A or off my wife's Altima. It would start right up. So I installed a new Optima Red Top along with new Raptor high end + and - battery terminals. SAME THING....It turns hard and slow and it may or may not start. Jump it off...Fires right up! I'm attaching the jump box and jumper cables battery terminal to battery terminal. Not using the block our anything else as a ground. Or, and once its running it runs fine, charges fine,etc etc

Anyone got any ideas?
It sounds like the starter is going out... the extra amps allows it to start.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Anyone got any ideas?
I'd also test the Optima. They don't sell as quickly as other batteries in locations and could very well be DOA.

Farook Ismail

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Toronto Ontario Canada
First Name
Farook
Last Name
Ismail
remove the Positive cable from the starter and clean it with sand paper.
remove the Negative cable from the engine and clean it with sandpaper and also the block where it attatches.
if that does not work change the battery, the starter and alternator.

yes i'm serious... it will prevent any further problems and if this is an overland rig its cheep insurance.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I would also go down both battery cables about 6-8 “ and cut back the sheathing and make sure the cable is not corroding from the inside out . If you’re running a lot of electrical components it might be a good idea to upgrade your cable size. Also double check your other ground cables on the vehicle there should be one from the engine block to the firewall from the engine block to the frame. If any mechanical work has ever been done it’s usually really easy to forget to put the straps back on.

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

I would also go down both battery cables about 6-8 “ and cut back the sheathing and make sure the cable is not corroding from the inside out . If you’re running a lot of electrical components it might be a good idea to upgrade your cable size. Also double check your other ground cables on the vehicle there should be one from the engine block to the firewall from the engine block to the frame. If any mechanical work has ever been done it’s usually really easy to forget to put the straps back on.
I'm actually gonna switch out the OEM positive and Negative cables. It's on my list to do. Being in the 12V industry I have seen too many times scorched cables internally!

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

remove the Positive cable from the starter and clean it with sand paper.
remove the Negative cable from the engine and clean it with sandpaper and also the block where it attatches.
if that does not work change the battery, the starter and alternator.

yes i'm serious... it will prevent any further problems and if this is an overland rig its cheep insurance.
I've upgraded my old battery to an Optima Red Top, Ordering a new starter as we speak and "when" my alternator craps out I'm upgrading to a Nissan Quest alternator bc it bolts up the same on the Xterra and gives 125 Amp output! Versus the 80 Amps I'm getting now. Since my "old" is still good, I've got all the parts, wires, isolator and a fuse panel to turn that one in my secondary battery!

Reactions: DevilDodge

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I would say it sounds like bad connections or cables. 290amp draw does seem a bit high for a 3ish liter V6. Start with a good cleaning of battery cable connections, followed by replacing the cables, followed by the starter.

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

I would say it sounds like bad connections or cables. 290amp draw does seem a bit high for a 3ish liter V6. Start with a good cleaning of battery cable connections, followed by replacing the cables, followed by the starter.
I've got a new starter coming Tuesday and already have new 4 gauge power and ground wires ready to swap!

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
That's not irony.

That's Murphy.

Get a second starter and carry it in the vehicle and you will never again need to replace it. Of course your fuel pump or ECM will go out instead.

Murphy's a scoundrel.

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

That's not irony.

That's Murphy.

Get a second starter and carry it in the vehicle and you will never again need to replace it. Of course your fuel pump or ECM will go out instead.

Murphy's a scoundrel.
Aint that the truth! Got the new starter on and my father in law is going to rebuild the old starter!