Need help planning an overland trip based on current build and skill. Chino, CA to Salt Lake City, Utah. July 4-12th

• HTML tutorial

bjj_taco

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Chino, CA
First Name
Julio
Last Name
Arizaga
Member #

Super new to overlanding, will actually be purchasing my badge to start the dive of meeting some of you on the trail. I was hoping to go on a few adventures with someone seasoned beforehand but I’ve decided to go visit my Mom who lives in Ogden, Utah.

I have a 09 Tacoma Sport 4x4 option. I’ve upgraded the stock tires to 265/70/R17 until I can get a lift (still stock). I’ll eventually try to get 35’s (here’s hoping), but still deciding if I should re-gear first. I have the following body armor so far: rock sliders, skid plates, front bumper CBI Moab 2.0. No winch yet...unfortunately.

Also, I’ll be bringing my military camper trailer which has our RTT mounted with 315/70/R17 tires.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to getting out there and meeting some of you!

Attachments

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
All of this is IMO:

Your truck is more than capable as it is.
Save your money for at least a half-dozen or more long trips before making any more major equipment mods. Save your money for more trips. Save your time for more getting out there.
Don't build your truck beyond your skill level. That's just asking for expensive breakage in the worst and most dangerous times. Keep your truck build at least a stage or two behind your skill level. You'll get better with every trip and you'll be saving money.

Take notes on every trip about things you loved and things you didn't love about driving the truck. Keep special note of the things that will bug you: gas mileage, power, shimmies, reflections, noises, weirdness, whatever. Anything not safe needs fixing right away. Don't fix something unless it's a safety issue or you know will be bothersome every time. Once it's appeared several times, fix it. Little things go in the notebook too. Some little things have a habit of becoming big things, but others work themselves out with simple fixes.
Note also the things you loved about the trip. Not just the destination, scenery, etc., but also about the driving. This is vehicle-based adventure, after all.

Figure out where the place is for everything and figure out how to always put everything in its place. One of the worst things during overlanding is not being able to find that one widget that you know you put in the truck. Keep note of the things that don't seem to have a place. Are they just in the way? Do you really need them?

Also keep note of the things you don't use. Are they just in the way? Do you really need them? A 1:100 chance of needing it means it's not needed. Except your spare tire, seat belts, extra water, bottle jack (not Hi-Lift; sell that), and etc.

How long do you have for your trip? Will you be on the highway most of the way or will you be taking back roads? or dirt roads? or trails? Some of everything? There's a lot of beautiful between Chino and Ogden.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Welcome! I live in San Dimas, we're neighbors. Other Orb is right on. How much off roading do you plan to do? Will you posting up and running a few trails or pulling the trailer? There are lots of trail/roads to check out in route. As you run a road if you're not sure about the problem ahead, stop, walk it and figure it out, If you can't see away through ,go back.

bjj_taco

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Chino, CA
First Name
Julio
Last Name
Arizaga
Member #

Thank you for that great insight OtherOrb! I will definitely take that approach. Having all those notes will be super helpful in the long run. Thanks for taking the time and laying it all out.

Regarding my trip, I was looking for suggestions on trails, dirt roads, etc. That would be on the way towards Utah. I have from July 4th to the 8th to reach my Moms place, then coming back 10-14th. Anywhere I can possible camp with my trailer (taking the wife and two dogs). I’m mainly looking for hwy, back roads suggestions considering my rig and level along with the short time given. Also what roads to definitely avoid. Any suggestions on maps? Gaia trips?

Hey MMc! I actually work in San Dimas. I plan to join a local group and get out there with experienced people. I’m always looking to learn. It really depends on the trips, if it’s a a few nights somewhere I’d take the trailer if the wife comes along. Otherwise, the Taco and a tent will always suffice. Let me know which group would be the closest. Hopefully see you out there sometime!

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
Places that should be on every bucket list and are in your path:

Grand Canyon National Park
Zion National Park
Bryce Canyon National Park
Death Valley National Park
Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument
Joshua Tree National Park
Capitol Reef National Park

You could do something like this (27 hours of driving, so perhaps a bit too much small roads and not enough highway for the timing you've given, but I always start with the big wish list and cut as needed):

This takes you through Joshua Tree, Parker, Hope, Prescott, Chino Valley, Williams, Grand Canyon (South Rim), Cameron (get lunch there--best Navajo Tacos you can buy), Page + Lake Powell, past Grand Staircase and Paria; if the weather is good, take a quick jaunt into the canyon, Kanab, Zion, past Bryce, Panguitch, Koosharem, Fremont and Capitol Reef, through the Manti-La Sal National forest and over the mountain range, to Fairview, through Provo, around SLC to Park City, and then up to Ogden.

This isn't all-dirt-all-the-time, but there are some trails in there. There are always opportunities to get back on the freeway if you need or want to pick up the pace. There are plenty of opportunities for diversions if you need to slow it down. And you can always modify the route as needed or desired. Could skip Page and go to the Vermillion Cliffs and take the back road to 89 to reconnect to the route. This will take you past the Condor Viewing site, White Pocket, Wire Pass, Buckskin Gulch, and etc.

Dogs: Check the leash and etc., rules for the National Parks. They're mostly the same (can be on-leash on established/paved trails), but some are more restrictive.

Tons of BLM land for dispersed camping.

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

All of this is IMO:

Your truck is more than capable as it is.
Save your money for at least a half-dozen or more long trips before making any more major equipment mods. Save your money for more trips. Save your time for more getting out there.
Don't build your truck beyond your skill level. That's just asking for expensive breakage in the worst and most dangerous times. Keep your truck build at least a stage or two behind your skill level. You'll get better with every trip and you'll be saving money.

Take notes on every trip about things you loved and things you didn't love about driving the truck. Keep special note of the things that will bug you: gas mileage, power, shimmies, reflections, noises, weirdness, whatever. Anything not safe needs fixing right away. Don't fix something unless it's a safety issue or you know will be bothersome every time. Once it's appeared several times, fix it. Little things go in the notebook too. Some little things have a habit of becoming big things, but others work themselves out with simple fixes.
Note also the things you loved about the trip. Not just the destination, scenery, etc., but also about the driving. This is vehicle-based adventure, after all.

Figure out where the place is for everything and figure out how to always put everything in its place. One of the worst things during overlanding is not being able to find that one widget that you know you put in the truck. Keep note of the things that don't seem to have a place. Are they just in the way? Do you really need them?

Also keep note of the things you don't use. Are they just in the way? Do you really need them? A 1:100 chance of needing it means it's not needed. Except your spare tire, seat belts, extra water, bottle jack (not Hi-Lift; sell that), and etc.

How long do you have for your trip? Will you be on the highway most of the way or will you be taking back roads? or dirt roads? or trails? Some of everything? There's a lot of beautiful between Chino and Ogden.
This is some very sound advice. Well said sir!

Reactions: OtherOrb

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
Some of those places will be too hot during that time
Perhaps.

I'm totally comfortable camping up to about 110 F and sometimes forget to worry about the temperatures when chatting with people about adventures.

There aren't a ton of cooler places to stop without staying on highway for much of the trip.

bjj_taco

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Chino, CA
First Name
Julio
Last Name
Arizaga
Member #

Thank you all! I will definitely be looking into all the suggestions as I start planning this out. I have a wealth of info.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
@bjj_taco @MMc
Cool more neighbors. I try to go out as often as possible. Anything from weekends to week long treks. I work so planning is based on a bit advance notice.
As @OtherOrb posted, that's about the route I would go. Trying to see as much of that as time allowed. Summers I normally prefer higher elevation's but, once fall hits I take longer trips in the desert.
if you haven't yet, log into the Inland Empire group. We have monthly trips planned and what ever gets thrown in also.

Reactions: bjj_taco

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Really depends where you want to spend your time, looks like an awesome route through Arizona and up through Utah on 89.. depends on if you want to spend 8 hrs on the pavement each day seeing what can be seen from highway.. or if you want to get from Chino to UT in a day, spend a few days seeing sights with only a few hrs in the rig on your way up to Ogden.. To each his own, let me know if I can help.. I can give you all kinds of cool stuff for northern arizona/southern utah to see and do, along with places to camp. Just depends on how you want to plan your time. Look forward to hearing from you. I'm from northern utah.. my brother @Knitron is the member rep up that way and can hook you up with some sights to see while you're up that way.

Reactions: bjj_taco

bjj_taco

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Chino, CA
First Name
Julio
Last Name
Arizaga
Member #

Thanks A-Aron! I'm still trying to determine the best route given the small amount of time given. We might stick with something near Zion from July 4th-8th. Then will be driving straight to Ogden. After speaking with the Utah family, they'll take me around to a few lakes to hang out for the day and possibly camp. Given that I haven't seen them in such a long time, I'll stick to something local to make it easier on everyone. Heading back, we'll most likely want to hit a spot near Bryce and head straight back home from there.

Any suggestions on either camp sites and/or in the event of no sites being available? Overflow? BLM near those locations? I'll be taking a look at iOverlander and freecampsites.net

Thanks again everyone! Just in the short amount of time of joining this group I've received so much help. My wife's exact comment, "Wow, everyone in this forum is so nice". It was good to hear her mention that, it was an easier sell when I got my emblems and membership package :)

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Here is my basic database of Camping locations around that portion of Southern Utah.. If you're spending a few days, I highly recommend driving to Toquerville falls and checking out the Sand Dunes @ Sand hollow. There is good free camping at either location noted on the map.. Long Valley Rec area is the dispersed camping area associated with Sand Hollow.

Import the file into google earth and read the descriptions. Everywhere is going to be hot in the area this time of year so anything you have to increase your shade coverage would be helpful... welcome to the desert! The route to Toquerville falls can be found on Google really easy and there is only one way in or out, that and Ponderosa Grove will provide the best opportunities for shade. I've hauled my trailer into Toquerville falls without issue, I added a waypoint for where I parked it because it can get a little tight down by the falls to fit, you'd be fine to drive down and check it out, there is room to turn around small trailers. Long valley recreation area is a great place as well and will provide some off road roaming trails by camp, beware that it is also a very popular OHV area so you won't find much peace and quiet there during the day.

Red cliffs is a great place to camp (but difficult to get a spot.. especially this time of year) and there is a great picnic area and really cool hike along a stream if you get a chance, even if its a day trip away from the gigantic crowds of Zion.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I would have loved to get together and show you some of the area but I'll be on my own adventure on the north rim of the grand canyon.

Attachments

bjj_taco

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Chino, CA
First Name
Julio
Last Name
Arizaga
Member #

Here is my basic database of Camping locations around that portion of Southern Utah.. If you're spending a few days, I highly recommend driving to Toquerville falls and checking out the Sand Dunes @ Sand hollow. There is good free camping at either location noted on the map.. Long Valley Rec area is the dispersed camping area associated with Sand Hollow.

Import the file into google earth and read the descriptions. Everywhere is going to be hot in the area this time of year so anything you have to increase your shade coverage would be helpful... welcome to the desert! The route to Toquerville falls can be found on Google really easy and there is only one way in or out, that and Ponderosa Grove will provide the best opportunities for shade. I've hauled my trailer into Toquerville falls without issue, I added a waypoint for where I parked it because it can get a little tight down by the falls to fit, you'd be fine to drive down and check it out, there is room to turn around small trailers. Long valley recreation area is a great place as well and will provide some off road roaming trails by camp, beware that it is also a very popular OHV area so you won't find much peace and quiet there during the day.

Red cliffs is a great place to camp (but difficult to get a spot.. especially this time of year) and there is a great picnic area and really cool hike along a stream if you get a chance, even if its a day trip away from the gigantic crowds of Zion.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I would have loved to get together and show you some of the area but I'll be on my own adventure on the north rim of the grand canyon.
Super helpful. Thanks! Will be checking out your pins and checking out the weather closely.