Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
4" lift? That's pretty high dollar stuff and simply not necessary for Overlanding. Put an Old Man Emu kit on for a thousand dollars and you'll get your 2.5"s If, on the other hand, you want to really go up to 4"s just add another thousand per inch as it will become necessary to include a lot of different driveline and suspension parts to bring everything back to stock geometry.

2.5" up and a good set of 33" tires will get you on 99% of all trails in North America. 285/75/16s are popular here and can be found in a multitude of brands. 255/85/16s is the size my next set will be as they are a bit narrower and a bit more gentle on all my driveline and suspension components. I prefer BFGs as I have not had a flat tire in over 20 years. They simply have never failed and they wear like iron. Do what you will but keep in mind that a rig that old will be needing a couple of bucks every year just in maintenance costs. Good luck

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

33 1050 15 on a 3 and 1/2 in Rubicon Express superflex kit. By far the best riding vehicle off-road I have ever owned would just soak up the bumps. And on-road it drove straight as an arrow. and with running a 1050 Tire I didn't see it drop in mileage eitherScreenshot_20171211-160349.png

Last edited:
Reactions: FusionJoseGaming

Rich Faller

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Durango
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Faller
Member #

+1 for the 33s. I love falken wildpeake at3w tires. 3 peak snow rating, 55,000 mike warranty, and really budget friendly ($190 a tire at discount tire). I have them in 285/75/16 like mentioned above, really common size.

Reactions: FusionJoseGaming

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

I would go for steel wheels, or simply stick with stock wheels, and 33” tires.

My experience:
-DuraTracs are loud on road, but good offroad
-Toyo Open Country are a nice all around
-General Grabber seems to be the tire of choice for Expedition Overland

James

Rich Faller

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Durango
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Faller
Member #

I would go for steel wheels, or simply stick with stock wheels, and 33” tires.

My experience:
-DuraTracs are loud on road, but good offroad
-Toyo Open Country are a nice all around
-General Grabber seems to be the tire of choice for Expedition Overland

James
XOverland uses the general grabbers because they are sponsored by general tire. Not to say they aren’t fantastic, and they may have used generals before sponsorship, but I’m not sure if they would prefer another tire if they weren’t sponsored. I mention this only because the generals aren’t as common of a brand for the overland community, as far as I notice. Just my .02

cruiseroutfit

Rank V

Influencer II

Yewtah
XOverland uses the general grabbers because they are sponsored by general tire. Not to say they aren’t fantastic, and they may have used generals before sponsorship, but I’m not sure if they would prefer another tire if they weren’t sponsored. I mention this only because the generals aren’t as common of a brand for the overland community, as far as I notice. Just my .02
XO Kurt here. We do have a great partnership with General but we run them on our own personal rigs by choice. I've had a set of pre-production X3's on my 200 Series for nearly 2 years, love them!

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/project-fauxverlander-200-series-land-cruiser-build-thread.4810/page-2#post-79076

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Hey Kurt!!! Our family loves XO videos!!

I kinda figured you guys could run whatever you wanted, considering the nice hanger used as a homebase, and the fleet of new Toyotas...

Thanks for posting!

James

Reactions: cruiseroutfit

Rich Faller

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Durango
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Faller
Member #

Hey Kurt, I’ve been following your videos for quite some time, love the series!
I didn’t mean to sound like I was throwing shade about the tires, I was just pointing out that I know you guys are sponsored and that I wasn’t sure if you guys run generals personally. I was looking into the x3s for a while before I settled on my falkens, mainly for the snow reviews, but how do you like the X3s overall?

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I have the same problem with bf goodrich, there is no unbiased review they spend a massive amount of money to sponsor whoever is willing to take the money and tires and say good things about it, I personally have seen them fail more than once in a while and would never pay the ridiculous amount of money they charge for a tire not better than every other... That's just my opinion and one of the reasons I drive general grabber X3 and I'm very happy with it

Hey Kurt, nice to have you here! Didn't know you are a member!

cruiseroutfit

Rank V

Influencer II

Yewtah
Hey Kurt, I’ve been following your videos for quite some time, love the series!
I didn’t mean to sound like I was throwing shade about the tires, I was just pointing out that I know you guys are sponsored and that I wasn’t sure if you guys run generals personally. I was looking into the x3s for a while before I settled on my falkens, mainly for the snow reviews, but how do you like the X3s overall?
They have been great on my personal 200, fanatic offroad, quiet (enough) onroad and decent in the snow :D

BcYeti2503

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, British Columbia, Canada
Member #

I really like my Cooper ST Maxx tires. They have 14000 miles and have worn about 3/32 (measured) Great traction everywhere. In the hardpack I know that most tires that are larger lug tend to suffer so keeping it docile in the snow and ice is mandatory.
Regarding size with a 4" proper lift (corrected angles etc) you should be able to fit a 33-35" tire. I like the 285/75r17 as a great middle of the road skinnier tire with some good options for brands/tread.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Hey Curt... It seems like I remember XO running a different Grabber than the X3 years ago... If I remember right you guys switched to the X3 when more mud was coming into the picture, right around the South America timeframe I think??

Anyways, which Grabber were you guys using before that, the one that wasn’t geared toward mud so much???

James

cruiseroutfit

Rank V

Influencer II

Yewtah
Hey Curt... It seems like I remember XO running a different Grabber than the X3 years ago... If I remember right you guys switched to the X3 when more mud was coming into the picture, right around the South America timeframe I think??

Anyways, which Grabber were you guys using before that, the one that wasn’t geared toward mud so much???

James
During our CenAm trip we had a General AT, not a Mud Terrain

OwenMcCoy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Parker
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

I am on my second set of general grabbers... I have been more than pleased with this them. The AT2s that are on my truck are quiet on the highway and rugged as hell off-road.

Jason and Cayce

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Treasure coast Florida
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Gulizia
X2 on the coopers have had 3 different styles of them i really liked all 3 when when it gets closer to finishing my truck i will be going for 285/55r16 good narrow tall tire. I used to work in a jeep 4x4 shop trust me when i tell you bigger isnt always better in this case 33 would be as tall as i would go just my opinion.
32x10.50 or something similar would make a great all arounder again just my opinon