Launch Member

Contributor II

Gastonia, NC, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Hey everyone. Im new to overlanding. Ive been camping alot throughout my life but only ever in designated campgrounds and honestly ive lost the feel of adventure. I would love to camp in my local national forests but im not sure where to start and do not want to be somewhere im not supposed to be. I quess my question is if you drive through a national forest how do you know where your allowed to pitch a tent? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

See the section labeled "Dispersed Camping" in each .pdf

TL;DR - Nantahala and Pisgah limit dispersed camping to specific areas. Uwharrie and Croatan allow dispersed camping unless signs prohibit otherwise, or in day-use, established camping grounds (I assume by this it is meant powered RV camp sites), and wildlife openings.

Reactions: Andrew95

Liesejunh

Rank I

Enthusiast I

California
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Cha
Member #

I’m relatively new as well but I’ve learned a lot from the last year. I would download Gaia maps and turn on the layers that show private property and public lands. Look for a dirt road in a forest and you will most likely run into a camp spot or 2 traveling on it. I would stick to areas that you can tell people has already been camping on to help preserve the forest (it’ll be flat, bare, and most likely have a fire ring). Pretty soon you’ll have your own list of favorite spots.