Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Oregon
First Name
Todd
Last Name
T
Member #

Hello all, looking for some expert advice. I am in the process of having my teardrop built currently and looking for ways to mount my tepui on top of it for the kids.

My issue is that i bought the tent used from a buddy with a wrangler that had a Rhino rack and used the maxis low profile mounts. This process removes the aluminum crossbars off the bottom of the tent and has the bolts going straight through the bottom of the tent. That directly attach to the rhino rack. i have found the replacement bars on the tepui site which is for sure the easiest fix but they are sold out and backordered till late november it looks like.

Thought about putting a rhino on the RTT and i might go this way but with the trailer but waiting to hear from rhino on if they can put crossbars on the Trailer.

I looked at some 14 gauge c-channel at lowes today that i think i could make work but it's just a little to wide i am able to pull the slide nut off the C. im sure once it was tight it would be less of a issue but i would hate to lose a tent a highway speeds.

this is what i need. thanks for taking a look.
Mounting_Tracks_7c780674-c744-403a-8abb-99f85258838b_1000x.jpg

ToddT_503

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Oregon
First Name
Todd
Last Name
T
Member #

Have you looked into an 80/20 extrusion? I am running with my tent attached to an 80/20 crossbar so I do not see a problem running an extrusion bolted to the tent.
great that might work thank you. anyway you can send me a picture of your setup?

Reactions: KonzaLander

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

If you have an electrical store close by, get some steel or aluminum Uni-strut. Might work for you! Vance.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I would certainly ask the builders of your teardrop what they suggest, and if they have any qualms about that kind of weight being mounted or attached to any certain spots of their design. I bet you'll want that weight transferred to the frame under the teardrop in the right way.

I've seen trailers get racked all out of square from poorly installed, or too heavy, roof loads.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
great that might work thank you. anyway you can send me a picture of your setup?
My use of 80/20 is simply for the crossbars of my roof rack. My tent bolts to these so it's not the same situation you are in, but similar. I don't see why bolting an extrusion to the tent wouldn't work. You could utilize the channels similarly to the way the tent was originally designed.

Here is the picture of my set-up you requested.
IMG_20190728_202942.jpg

ToddT_503

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Oregon
First Name
Todd
Last Name
T
Member #

I would certainly ask the builders of your teardrop what they suggest, and if they have any qualms about that kind of weight being mounted or attached to any certain spots of their design. I bet you'll want that weight transferred to the frame under the teardrop in the right way.

I've seen trailers get racked all out of square from poorly installed, or too heavy, roof loads.
they are installing the rack on the top i just had no way of attaching to that. i continued my search over the weekend and finally found that CVT had the bars that attach to the tent. they will be here tomorrow.

thank you for all the help and ideas.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

they are installing the rack on the top i just had no way of attaching to that. i continued my search over the weekend and finally found that CVT had the bars that attach to the tent. they will be here tomorrow.

thank you for all the help and ideas.
Good luck with it, man. I hope you like your RTT as much as I like and use my hardshell. I'm at or over 500 nights in mine over the last two years.