Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Kyle, TX, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Waters
Member #

I have a 2016 4-Runner with an ARB Full Length Bull Bar front bumper. I'm trying to find the best compatible winch and don't have any experience in the winch department. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
4runner5.jpg

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

I had a smittybuilt on a truck years ago, as well as an off brand on another(can’t recall brand). Both worked well. I now have a warn on the 4Runner, went that way mostly based on fitment and trust in the brand overall. As it’s hidden behind my bumper and I didn’t want to have to mess with it after install.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Almost any 8K# winch is good. Some of the off brands are surprizing ly good.
I went with a Warn M8000.

Reactions: GoWithTheFlow

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

I've had a M8000 with wire rope on my TJ for twenty years and its been solid. Installed a ComeUp Seal Gen2 9.5RS on my ZR2 Bison last Fall and really like the synthetic line over cable and the wireless remote is awesome. I'd recommend either one.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Anything over 8k is really where you need to be unless you are going solo and pulling a trailer. Then 12k should be fine. To me, Warn is the industry standard, but you are going to pay for it too. Smitty has been making good winches for a while, but they need more maintenance than Warn. For cheap Chinese, Harbor Freight has upped their game with the newest line of winches. They run heavier than most others but their electronics have improved greatly.

Dr Gil

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Gil
Last Name
Kajiki

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Not a Harbour Fright fan but I have never seen a bad write up on the Badlands winch. I'd say well bought.

DocMartin

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ocala, FL, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04IKI
I have a 2016 4-Runner with an ARB Full Length Bull Bar front bumper. I'm trying to find the best compatible winch and don't have any experience in the winch department. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
View attachment 149586
I just installed an ARB Deluxe on my Montero. 8-10K units will fit. I researched and went with a Smitty Built X2O wireless w/ synthetic rope. It's waterproof as well. 4 Wheel parts installed it. They said that they get 3 times LESS warranty claims with these then Warn. Fits perfect. NOTE: With an ARP bumper and synthetic rope, you need an offset fairlead. A few companies make them for it.

Last edited:

Taco303

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Denver
First Name
Colorado
Last Name
Explorer
Following as I am looking into winch options for my 04 Taco. I too, am not too familiar with winches and bumper setups/combos. I am either leaning towards the ARB bumper, or a tube high clearance front bumper. Am interested in the addicted off-road they offer for my 1st gen, but I don’t know how to weld and understand there is a cross member you need to tac onto the frame.. but I found a guy in my neighborhood that does this stuff as a side gig so might hire him to install it. Anyways, I also will be towing a ruger trailer with RTT on top. I saw earlier that someone said if trailers are involved then go with a 12000 lb winch which I already decided I wanted to run with anyways. Any suggestions/advice on a winch bumper combo for my truck?

Stomper4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redding, California
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Carlson
Member #

Following as I am looking into winch options for my 04 Taco. I too, am not too familiar with winches and bumper setups/combos. I am either leaning towards the ARB bumper, or a tube high clearance front bumper. Am interested in the addicted off-road they offer for my 1st gen, but I don’t know how to weld and understand there is a cross member you need to tac onto the frame.. but I found a guy in my neighborhood that does this stuff as a side gig so might hire him to install it. Anyways, I also will be towing a ruger trailer with RTT on top. I saw earlier that someone said if trailers are involved then go with a 12000 lb winch which I already decided I wanted to run with anyways. Any suggestions/advice on a winch bumper combo for my truck?
The addicted offroad stuff is great. I've had their bumper on my 92 for at least 9 years paired with a smittybilt winch. Both bulletproof so far. Ya just find someone to weld the supports in, that's what I did.

Reactions: Taco303

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have a ADD bumper and a superwinch for the last few years love both. (I have a Dodge 2500) I use the winch for lots fo stuff. The ADD gets quite a bit of attention.