Tampa, FL
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Redding
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4LXY
I am a single father to a great 7 year old special needs son looking very much to get started and have some financial issues but have found a something seems to be a bit of a great deal; a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD Trailhawk for $23K with only 45,444 miles. https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=467926377&hideBackLink=true&Log=0

I need a daily driver and this looks really good. I need opinions ASAP.
Hey man,

I would say that’s a pretty good find. The Trailhawk is supposed to be similar to the Wrangler’s Rubicon, just the more off-road ready version of a base model. They are roomy and the V8 has some pick me up. You might run into availability of aftermarket stuff, but it also depends on what you are wanting to do to it. My vote would be get it for sure. Good luck on the decision making.

Phillip

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Bryan0302

Rank III

Member I

Poquoson, VA, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Leahy
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I may have to spend more and go for a 2014 4Runner Trail I found. Toyotas have never failed me and the only other option I see is to get the Grand Cherokee as a good daily driver, start doing some light overloading with it, and then if I get more into it I would have to get a used XJ or something. I think I do too many 3-5 hour drivers to get a JKU. I also love the early and late 80s/early 90s broncos and blazers but I think they may be a bit too big for the Virginia, NC, and PA trails I see myself going out on. As you can see, I am all over the place.

Vin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Houston, Texas
Member #

Bryan,

Don't know if you have made your purchase yet, but I have a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with the V8 engine that I am currently building out.

Obviously, I'm biased, but it's a great vehicle (although so is the 4Runner). It has great highway manners and the big V8 just eats the miles. Very comfortable to drive in for long periods. Much, much more comfortable on the road than a JK/JKU.

Almost anything is going to struggle to keep up with a kitted out JK on a pound-for-pound or dollar-for-dollar basis, but the Trailhawk (even stock) provides a pretty stable off road platform. Only you know what you'll be doing with the vehicle, but there's plenty of capability there.

Also, from the photographs it looks like the Jeep has rock rails already on it. That is a huge plus with a WK2 Grand Cherokee. They are difficult to source and depending on the version/brand you go with will cost you between $800 and $1,200 (unless you find second hand). So that's a nice bit of value already on the vehicle.

If I can answer any questions let me know... I'd be happy to help where I can.

Vin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I may have to spend more and go for a 2014 4Runner Trail I found. Toyotas have never failed me and the only other option I see is to get the Grand Cherokee as a good daily driver, start doing some light overloading with it, and then if I get more into it I would have to get a used XJ or something. I think I do too many 3-5 hour drivers to get a JKU. I also love the early and late 80s/early 90s broncos and blazers but I think they may be a bit too big for the Virginia, NC, and PA trails I see myself going out on. As you can see, I am all over the place.
IMO it’d be hard to go wrong with the yota. Aside from the reliability and stock off-road capability, the aftermarket has way more and usually cheaper options than a grand Cherokee.

KAWR_4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

New York City
Member #

As an owner of a 2015 4runner trail, much like the one you have found I'm probably biased jaja. For what its worth you really cannot beat the reliability of a Toyota and the aftermarket for them is HUGE I don't know much about grand cherokees or trail hawks for that matter but I would bet the aftermarket options are nothing close to what a 4runner has. That v8 does sound pretty awesome though, 4runners with the v6 sound very good...relatively. I did own a JKU previous to the 4runner and they can't even be compared 4runner>JKU every day of the week, every week of every month. Good luck!

Vin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Houston, Texas
Member #

I have to agree with both KAWR_4x4 and Lintnercorey as far as the aftermarket situation goes... you will eventually find exactly what you want/need for a Grand Cherokee, but not until you suffer several episodes of slowly banging your head against the wall while asking yourself why you didn't get a JK or a Toyota with their better developed aftermarket offerings.

Reactions: KAWR_4x4

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Thanks for all the input, just bought a 2016 4Runner Trail. Now I just have to justify the purchase by getting it off road.
Great Choice Bryan...now get your son out there and explore...options to upgrade are overwhelming so don't let it stop you.Your Toy is more than capable stock and was designed for adventure just the way it is...look forward to seeing your adventures

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Can’t go wrong with that