• HTML tutorial

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Hi all,
I've had a trip planned that starts at Point Sublime on the north rim for a few days, however, I just got an email that the road to Point Sublime is current impassable, so the camp is closed.

So, I'm looking for alternatives in the area, ideally something hard enough to get to that it'll keep the average minivan out, but still have a great view of the canyon.

From what the ranger was telling me, she recommended going with the forest service roads, which would put us outside of the park proper. She says it's more likely those roads are maintained to being usable.

We're also a pair of nearly stock Subaru Foresters on stock tires (though with a fair amount of recovery gear, no winch though) so the road can't be too treacherous. (3 and below I'd say)

Primitive campsites are preferred but not necessary, honestly we're just trying to get away from the crowds.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for where we can get that would fit our requirements?

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Looks like we're going to end up using Tuweep campground as a backup, with some luck we will still be able to hit up Point Sublime, so we'll see what happens!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Plenty of stuff to the northwest like Firepoint, Crazy Jug point etc. just look at some topo maps. Stock tires are fine but I would recommend airing down some. Sharp rocks in the road will be your enemy fully aired up.

Why is Sublime still closed? Downed trees????

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Welp, turns out Tuweep is going to be nearing the 100s during those days.... So back to the drawing board on campgrounds.

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Looks like we're gonna need a vault toilet too... anyone know something that will be:

1. Accessible
2. Not stupid hot weather
3. Have a vault toilet

Last edited:

Canyon_Cliff

Rank VI

Influencer I

Victorville, California
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YHU
Do as the Ranger said. The Forest Service roads are great for going into the forest, and finding camping spots. I was just there (right after the Expo) and you won't have any problems with your vehicles.
Start by going on the 22. It is a main FS road and goes a long ways; all the way from the 67 to Fredonia. There are numerous side roads along the 22 that will take you further into the forest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using OB Talk mobile app

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Buy yourself a tent and toilet!!! Why be tied to camping with a vault toilet? Besides some of them are worse than any others means of going to the loo.

Reactions: LostInSocal

BigAZAdventures

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Arizona
Member #

I take a $20 5 gallon bucket with a toilet seat and lid with the portapotty bags and bought a $40 pop up shelter for the bathroom setup. Works great and I have 4 girls.

Reactions: LostInSocal