Need assistance with picking lift/tires

• HTML tutorial

CaliRN

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rocklin, CA
Member #

I have a 2017 Rubicon 4dr. It is my daily driver.

I am want to put a 2.5-3" lift and 33's on it. However, I am completely overwhelmed with the options and information out there. Every time I think I have found a good package, when I research it further there are more things I would need to purchase - track bars, control arms, exhaust spacers, etc....
In addition, I'm having difficulty choosing the best tires. I like a big beefy appearance but don't want it to be loud.
Wont be any crazy 4wheeling; mostly snow, granite slabs, fire roads and cobbles.
Any push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Lifes2short4BS

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Half Moon Bay, Ca
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
N
Member #

I can’t say much about jeep suspensions, but as far as tires go..... I’m in love with General Grabber X3s... I’d also encourage you to go with 35s instead of 33s as that will give you more ground clearance; as well as, making it easier to roll over obstacles.

Reactions: Scifi79

CaliRN

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rocklin, CA
Member #

I can’t say much about jeep suspensions, but as far as tires go..... I’m in love with General Grabber X3s... I’d also encourage you to go with 35s instead of 33s as that will give you more ground clearance; as well as, making it easier to roll over obstacles.

I'd love to put 35's on, but don't wand to have to re-gear.
Are your General Grabber X3's loud?

Stepsride

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Palm Harbor FL
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stepkoski
Member #

Look at the Rock Krawler 1.5 if you are going 33. It will look better and may drive better because caster will be closer to stock. Also consider the Prodigy shocks. Tires are tough to recommend. You will get a flurry of answers. I am running 32 General Grabber at2 on a Grand Cherokee and they are great. My brother is running 33 inch Pit Bull All terrain tires on the lift above and he loves them. There are so many tire threads my suggestion is to search the forums. Make sure you stay away from the Kool Aid

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Sparky and CaliRN

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

Look at the Rock Krawler 1.5 if you are going 33. It will look better and may drive better because caster will be closer to stock. Also consider the Prodigy shocks. Tires are tough to recommend. You will get a flurry of answers. I am running 32 General Grabber at2 on a Grand Cherokee and they are great. My brother is running 33 inch Pit Bull All terrain tires on the lift above and he loves them. There are so many tire threads my suggestion is to search the forums. Make sure you stay away from the Kool Aid

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I second this. If you're sticking to 33's I wouldn't bother with a 3" lift, it will only increase the potential for more problems that cost more money, and you may find yourself in a rabbit hole of mods and bigger tires.

I personally find a mildly lifted jk with 33's a very appealing package because it maximizes the potential of the factory engineering and, relatively speaking, is low maintenance. People do all sorts of things which is fine, but from my experience with jk's and your stated desires this is what I recommend. Best of luck.

Reactions: CaliRN

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

I have a 2017 Rubicon 4dr. It is my daily driver.

I am want to put a 2.5-3" lift and 33's on it. However, I am completely overwhelmed with the options and information out there. Every time I think I have found a good package, when I research it further there are more things I would need to purchase - track bars, control arms, exhaust spacers, etc....
In addition, I'm having difficulty choosing the best tires. I like a big beefy appearance but don't want it to be loud.
Wont be any crazy 4wheeling; mostly snow, granite slabs, fire roads and cobbles.
Any push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
I bought a kit, not only for my LJ but I just bought a kit for the Taco.
Take your time and do it right! Don’t be in a hurry. Do your research and for drying out loud don’t believe everything you see and read.
I am a fan of Rubicon Express Superflex lift kits. I have a 3” on the LJ. It is a good kit, reliable, easy to install on a new Jeep, and is good on maintenance. This kit will not adversely affect your angles on your drive train. I did not go long arm, that opens up a rabbit hole that will drain your bank account. By the looks of what you want to do, this kit will do ya. I added JKS disconnects on the front, back spacing on my ProComp rims and put a set of 33’s on it with no additional spacers. As for tires, I like BFG KO2, General Grabber ATs are same class and just as good. Stick with a reputable all terrain since your not doing any crazy wheeling.
Keep your weight down, gas is not getting any cheaper. Every big mod like lift and tires comes with the cost of higher gas consumption.
There is the challenge. You can mod it up like crazy and armour it up, but you won’t pass a gas station.
Have fun, I love building vehicles, don’t be afraid to ask someone to take you out on a run and experience their mods first hand.....you will be shocked at how perspectives change once you have driven in a modified vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
Is there a reason that you would like to lift your Jeep? I would say find a lift that suits your needs. If you 4 door is like the 2 door, I would find one with front LCA's. I went with the AEV Dual Sport and I definitely wish some things were different with it. If you are looking to upgrade tires then I would look at the KO2's. I have these in 35 and absolutely love them. The ride quality is great and the noise is minimal.

Reactions: T-88

CaliRN

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rocklin, CA
Member #

Is there a reason that you would like to lift your Jeep? I would say find a lift that suits your needs. If you 4 door is like the 2 door, I would find one with front LCA's. I went with the AEV Dual Sport and I definitely wish some things were different with it. If you are looking to upgrade tires then I would look at the KO2's. I have these in 35 and absolutely love them. The ride quality is great and the noise is minimal.
I wanted to have some more clearance for the tires. Not going to do any crazy wheeling, but took it to Lake Fordyce last weekend and can see how a small lift would be advantageous

CaliRN

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rocklin, CA
Member #

I bought a kit, not only for my LJ but I just bought a kit for the Taco.
Take your time and do it right! Don’t be in a hurry. Do your research and for drying out loud don’t believe everything you see and read.
I am a fan of Rubicon Express Superflex lift kits. I have a 3” on the LJ. It is a good kit, reliable, easy to install on a new Jeep, and is good on maintenance. This kit will not adversely affect your angles on your drive train. I did not go long arm, that opens up a rabbit hole that will drain your bank account. By the looks of what you want to do, this kit will do ya. I added JKS disconnects on the front, back spacing on my ProComp rims and put a set of 33’s on it with no additional spacers. As for tires, I like BFG KO2, General Grabber ATs are same class and just as good. Stick with a reputable all terrain since your not doing any crazy wheeling.
Keep your weight down, gas is not getting any cheaper. Every big mod like lift and tires comes with the cost of higher gas consumption.
There is the challenge. You can mod it up like crazy and armour it up, but you won’t pass a gas station.
Have fun, I love building vehicles, don’t be afraid to ask someone to take you out on a run and experience their mods first hand.....you will e\be shocked at how perspectives change once you have driven in a modified vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
I looked at the Rubicon Express Superflex kits, there are sooooo many choices. I don't know what I NEED and what I DONT need.... Grr

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
I wanted to have some more clearance for the tires. Not going to do any crazy wheeling, but took it to Lake Fordyce last weekend and can see how a small lift would be advantageous
You have a Rubi so stock 32ish tirea right? 35s are what you want? Feel likw with 4 doors its all about break over angle. Have you looked at Offroad Evolutions line of lift? Feel like that would be a good place to start.

Otter155

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
J
Last Name
N
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AJ3EP
Hey CaliRN, I hope your having fun with your Jeep.

I have to 2nd (or third) the general grabbers x3, that is what I run on my daily driver in 35s. They are quieter than other meaty treads, and have plenty of grip for 4wheeling. I try and get out to Prairie city once a month if I can, and so far they have held up well.

On your lift question, I would agree that a 2" lift would be more than adequate for you on 33s. However if you ever think that 35s are in your future then plan now and go 2.5"-3".

Your Rubicon would not need a regear right away, but you would probably want one if you did go to 35s. I ran 35s on 3.21 gears for months and it was a great daily driver, but it didn't have the rock climbing ability I wanted. (Now I have 4.88 gears) I have a stick and the 3.8 engine in my 2007 JK unlimited.

Personally I think your 4.10 gears (standard on the Rubicons) and 3.6 engine is decent for 35" tires. When in four-lo your final crawl ratio will be enough with 4.10s and the 4:1 transfer case the Rubicons come with.

When looking for a lift you need to be careful of a few things. On the unlimited anything over about 3.5"-4" will require other major modifications, like a longer driveshaft etc. If you stay under 2.5" you could stay with a basic spring lift, and in the future change out any control arms. Look for a lift that also provides proper bump stops, and longer shocks.

When it comes to lift brands, Rubicon Express is in your back yard (Rancho Cordova), Rock Krawler is a solid brand, but you pay for their quality. I run a basic RE 2.5" lift, and I ran a 4" Krawler lift on a TJ. There are a lot of other good brands too, Metal Cloak, EVO, etc....but it all depends on what you want to do with your Jeep.

You have already done the best thing possible, run your Jeep and identified an area where you want change. Many introduction lifts will allow you to grow into a more modified rig later, but I wouldn't spend $2k on a lift right now. A good $500-$1000 lift will provide the 3 basics; new springs (which actually give the lift), new bump stops (to protect from larger tires hitting frame, fenders etc.), and new longer shocks (allowing for more flex, taking advantage of the new lift).

You didn't mention if you would be installing the lift or having a shop do it. A basic lift could be put on in 1 day, and is a great way to learn about your Jeep and save a few dollars, so I encourage doing the lift yourself.

If you have any questions, or would like to ever see my rig, I'm in your area.

Reactions: Clifford Zwiercan

Fellow Jeeper

Rank V

Influencer II

Latrobe Pa
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Bobincheck
If I had it to do over again, I would just go with the straight Rubicon express lift. I have the superflex on my 2010. I don't need it. But its a quality lift. As far as height goes, it's a 4 door. So your advertised height will go down since I think all is based on a 2 door. And 35s are the way to go. My buddy has a 2013 rubi and he runs 35s and never regeared. That 3.6 is night n day vs my 3.8. He rocks the nitto trailgrapplers. Ez balance and good road balance. Loves em. Enjoy your jeep.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: canadianoverlanders

bluefalconjku

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Wake Forest NC
Member #

Check out Tera Flex, as I'm a huge fan, I've had several jeeps with there suspension on it and always performed great, intend on putting a terra flex lift on my JKU next fall as well, right now I have there leveling kit, which is just an economic way of making the jeep look level while also giving the tires some space between the fenders.

4eye4valve

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pontotoc, MS, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Spurr
Member #

I had a 14 JKU Rubicon. All the lift I had was a leveling kit to make up for the winch bumper. With the factory BFG's, I went over and through everything I needed too. As well as some level 3 and 4 trails I had no business on. I never felt I needed more lift. 33's with a leveling kit should serve you well. It will be the most "stock" like ride and low maintenance.
If you have to have a lift, I feel the Metal Cloak stuff is hard to beat.

IMG_7566.JPG IMG_6120.JPG

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
I put Nitto Ridge Grapplers on last month. I have been very impressed with their on-road manners and how quiet they are on-highway so far.
For the win! These tires are awesome. I have them on my Jeep. I don't hear a peep from them on the road and they perform surprisingly well for an AT off-road. I think they are the best all terrain out there right now.

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
I don't know what you're budget is or what kind of lift you are looking at. If you do a lift with 33"s, they are going to look tiny under there. You don't really need more than a leveling kit for 33"s. I would get the tires on there and see what you think before going with the lift. Or, do the lift first and realize you really want 35"s. As soon as you get 33"s, you are going to wish they were 35"s anyway.