(Need assistance) Connecticut to Washington (and back)

• HTML tutorial

Hands-on-Overland

Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Connecticut, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Schneider
Hello everyone, I could use some guidance, I'm feeling overwhelmed and having a hard time trying to figure out how to plan a trip from Connecticut to Washington and back. Long story short, I'm a single Dad with shared custody. My sons mother is moving to Washington state next year so the school year I have my son and the summer he is with his mother. My son is turning nine this year and we enjoy camping and just got into "Overlanding" I look at this as an opportunity to see the USA and share a great experience with my son. My plan is to take about 2-3 weeks to make the trek. Because of the distance, I'm finding it difficult to plan routes that we can take a bit of time, sight see and explore. Can any of you give me some guidance? I know there is so much that can be seen and done between the east coast and the west coast. I just don't know where to start.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
What do you think about visiting the National Parks along your route?

Reactions: EXPO_D1

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I have really never been out of New England. The biggest thing we've seen is Mount Washington which is only 6000ft high. We would love to see and visit anything.
In that case I highly recommend CO & UT, but admittedly I'm a biased.

What time of year will it be?

Hands-on-Overland

Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Connecticut, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Schneider
In that case I highly recommend CO & UT, but admittedly I'm a biased.

What time of year will it be?
Beginning of June after school gets out and then again end of August, Early September just before school starts. Still deciding on driving both or if I ship my truck out, fly, then drive back. But the first time we go will be in June Take our time out. drop off my son and try to make it back a bit quicker while still enjoying the trip.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Sounds like an epic adventure. I do not have any advice on the trip...but I will be following along to learn. I would truly enjoy the time and be sure to flow at your sons pace.
Are you planning to camp, use hotels, stealth sleep in the vehicle or a little of each?

Russell & Eve

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Elkridge, MD, USA
First Name
JohnRussell
Last Name
Wooldridge
Member #

Been there. My daughter lived with her mother at that age.

Connecticut west is doing to be what you're used to... farmland, suburbs, etc. (If Canada is open), slip between Lakes Ontario & Erie (Niagara Falls & a terrific zoo in Oroano called Jungle Cat World). Then, north through Michigan and through the UP to and through Wisconsin, literally the area the coined the phrase "the great outdoors". From there it's prairie until you get western SD, WY and MT (Rushmore, Badlands, Little Big Horn and Yellowstone). Then, head north to Glacier and then Rt. 2 all the way to wherever Washington. That should take you the way and the time you need. Getti

Hands-on-Overland

Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Connecticut, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Schneider
Sounds like an epic adventure. I do not have any advice on the trip...but I will be following along to learn. I would truly enjoy the time and be sure to flow at your sons pace.
Are you planning to camp, use hotels, stealth sleep in the vehicle or a little of each?
I just picked up a 2019 Tacoma and have it out fitted with a 23Zero RTT, awning, and shower room. Along with Dometic fridge/freezer, goal-zero yeti battery pack and solar panels. So camp along the way will be the plan. :-)

camelgonz

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Boston
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Gonzalez
Member #

I just drove from LA to Boston and since you’re staying a bit north, I would recommend Yellowstone and Grand Teton, although it might be easier to find a camping spot in the National forest areas right outside the national parks. I didn’t get to camp much because I had all my stuff with me (moved to Boston) but I have always had luck looking to camp in national forests. I saw some amazing trails near Mt Rushmore as well, just didn’t get a chance to check them out myself.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
My suggestion, High Tail it out of New England/Mid Atlantic and dont look back until your past Chicago somewhere. You can start to decide North or South Dakota (SD). Hit the Black hills, Mt. Rushmore, Deadwood. Then you have real choices to make. I go to Montana (Glacier NP) then south through Yellowstone. You want to hit Washington as a final destination so you can either double back up to Idaho or find a route up and out of Wyoming maybe.

I am doing this drive next year. I did PA >MT > WY > UT> CO last year.

Reactions: Hands-on-Overland

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We go west every year. Close our eyes and hammer on the interstates until we get west of the Mississippi. Once past the river, get off the interstates and connect the dots between state & national forests using regular two lane country roads. Keep track of your time, but other than that, don’t plan a thing. Each morning, get your maps out and pick your next destination. We have stumbled upon some really great places to camp and explore doing it this way. Not keeping a set schedule allows one to have an adventure and to experience just a bit of freedom. Good luck and have fun.

• Love
Reactions: Shokgoblr

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

I am near Connecticut and did a large cross country trip last summer. I did a small write up on it here. It sounds like the trip you are planning will be during the summer? I would suggest, like others have said, to see the national parks. If you were to follow I90 basically across, you can hit a lot of them in the one trip. Badlands, Custer State park, Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Glacier. Those are all in the general direction you are headed. If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

Reactions: Shokgoblr

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

First, congrats on a being a stand up single dad. I've been there. My daughter who is now 16 and I have an amazing relationship and we have traveled by Jeep all over.

As for travel, I think its a safe bet Canada is going to be tough to get into for some time. As much as I love Montreal, Toronto, Banff, Lake Louise, Vancouver and even Thunder Bay, I'd have two plans... one Canada and one south. When it comes time to pick him up in August, drive. Enjoy some solitude and see the scenery for yourself. I love traveling solo. So much to see and no one to worry about.

Look at the National Parks Map to see a rough flow of travel. One line goes slightly north along I-90, one goes slightly south along I-40. If it were me, I'd drop down into the Blue Ridge and Shenandoah mountains and then head west to Mammoth Cave. Catch I-40 and bang out some miles and start in Colorado. Rocky Mountain NP is a great place for you to get a real sense of what Colorado's numerous 14,000' peaks are all about. Then either north to Wyoming - Jackson Hole, Yellowstone or west to Utah and Moab, Arches NP, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Zion and then to Idaho and Snake River Valley, Craters of the Moon. Either way, then west to Oregon and Crater Lake, Williamette Valley (tons of waterfalls in the area) and then north to Mt Hood (OR), Mt St Helens (WA), Mt Rainier(WA) and not knowing where your ex is, Mt Baker (Canadian US border area). Access to the mountains is terrific. Mt Rainier is the tallest volcano in the US and seeing the devastation left by the 1980's eruption of Mt St Hellns is unreal. Trees as far as the eye can see all facing the same direction on the ground like matchsticks. Its crazy.

All of the places I have mentioned I have been. They are all worth the stops and travel. Selfishly, I'd go north to Wyoming as Yellowstone has so much to offer for a kid your sons age. Utah has amazing topography, but Yellowstone has amazing animals, topography, geology and its not quite as hot as Utah is in June.

Buy a National Parks Pass before you go. Makes travel easier and a lot less expensive. America the Beautiful National Park Pass - Expires September 30, 2021

Make sure your son gets a sticker from every park you visit. This kind of trip they will add up quickly. National Park Decals - Shop Americas National Parks

Great maps selection for planning: Find a National Park Service Map

If you need specifics to Yellowstone, drop me a message. I lived in the park for 2.5 months in 2018. There are definitely some tips and tricks to get the best out of the park.

On a side note... I'd avoid California like the plague right now. Instability on every level is an understatement.

This is a regular occurrence in certain parts of Yellowstone.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Nftyper and EXPO_D1

Hands-on-Overland

Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Connecticut, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Schneider
Update:
So I've really been struggling to get started on mapping out a route. But I did get started and I'm feeling better about it all. I put in for my time off, leaving June 12 and returning July 5th. I figure like you all suggest, hammer down out of Connecticut and try to get to into Indiana for day 1. Then shoot for mid Kansas on day 2, followed by a lighter days drive to get to Colorado.
Here is where I start to get overwhelmed again. There is so much I want to see and do when I get to this point. Maybe this is where you all can chime in again. Do I head across Colorado to Utah or go more North to Wyoming for Yellowstone? Here are some of the things that have perked my interest for seeing and camping. Obviously there is too much to see all at once and i know this trip will make so I have to do it again. I'm just having a hard time figuring out a good route to go in what's going to feel like a very short amount of time.

- Pikes Peak (CO)
- The Great Sand Dunes (CO)
- Dinosaur National Monument (CO/UT) rt40 to a dirt road labeled as 14 to 14N near Elk Springs Calls my attention for some reason. Just looks neat on google maps.
-Moab & everything around it (UT)
-The Salt Flats (UT)
- Yellowstone (WY)
- Telluride (Black Bear Pass) (CO)

Being that my trip is a total of 24 days that I need to make it from CT to WA and back. I also have the opportunity to come back through and do some things that might be a little more fun for myself. I.E. meet up with other Overlanders and find some not so crazy trails. (Honestly I'd be nervous to do them alone with my son)

So what are your thoughts?

Thanks again for all the info you've already given me above.

Reactions: EXPO_D1

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

Looking at the map with those destinations roughed in, it looks like this image below. The Salt Flats or Yellowstone look like the outliers when it comes to planning the route, considering you are heading to WA. You might have to do some back tracking to get to all of your destinations. From the Salt flats I would head to Twin Falls and towards WA. I hope this helps. This is probably the route I would take.Screenshot (50).png

Tango Tiger

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

First off I want to sincerely say kudos to you for making adventurous memories with your son. As for planning your route and choosing what to see (and consequently what you won’t see), I would consider what things you and your son are most interested in seeing. Different areas will offer different things- scenic value, 4x4 trails, wildlife viewing, seclusion, historic sites, restaurants, hiking, climbing, rafting, etc. You may have already discussed this with your son, but if you have not, I think it might be cool for him if you asked for his input. Obviously it would help you better cater the trip to his interests, but it may also get him even more excited about the trip knowing he has a say in the planning. I’m not suggesting overloading him with the details, instead I would find some images of different areas you’re considering and have him take a look to get his opinion. My wife and I have done this with our two kids (age 10 and 6). Once I get their opinions I start trying to figure out how to route things and research other things in the areas where we’ll be. I create a list of attractions, trails, restaurants, historic sites, museums, lakes, rivers, monuments, etc and I also pin this points on Gaia GPS. Once on the trip I try to keep things fluid by only making plans one day at a time. Typically while eating dinner we’ll tell the kids the options for the next day and ask what they would like to do. Sometimes this leads to me doing things I don’t want to do (haha), but there are plenty of times we also say “mom and dad want to do this so we’re doing this.” Either way, I’m really jealous of this trip regardless of what route you choose.

Reactions: Hands-on-Overland

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Sounds like you'll be doing this trip more than just once? If so I wouldn't be too worried about having a set route but instead kind of take the trip with the idea of checking out places you would like to explore more in depth on a later trip. I've worked and traveled quite a bit in the upper midwest. Definitely get off the interstate and take two lane state highways through the midwest, you'll see a part of America that time has forgot. Get input from your son on what he wants to see. If you've never seen the Pacific coast save some time for that, N CA has Redwoods and OR/WA coasts have some cool places along 101.