Launch Member

Contributor I

Landurm, SC
First Name
Adam
Last Name
J
Member #

I am about to purchase a new 4runner and would like to build it.

I am torn on whether to wait on the 2020 updates in a few months which are dumb to me mostly, but the new steering wheel could be cool. I also don't know if I want a radar system for the pedestrian crap, long term exposure to any radar is horrible for you, ask any highway trooper.

I am kinda forced to the SR5 model with the XP package for the grill, rails (cut off step), and TRD wheels n tires. I need the 3rd row cause I have 5 kids.

I am shying away from the premium cause I don't know about plastic seats and the sunroof considering I want a full roof rack.

Will I be okay w/ out the TRD model with all the crawl stuff and lockers? How much can an aftermarket locker cost if I pursue that route?

Do any of you recommend an affordable suspension to add to that between 2-3 lift? I am also considering the ARB front and rear bumpers, thoughts?

I know this is vague and general but most in the community have a wealth of knowledge and any advice on any of this will assist my decision. I fear the good rebates and finance offers will be gone by the time the 2020 model comes out. I just want a clean 5th gen at the end of its run to last forever.

Thanks, Adam

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

Great choice on getting a 4Runner! We've had ours for a couple years now and truly enjoy the interior size, shorter wheelbase, and availability of quality aftermarket parts.

I haven't paid much attention to the 2020 models. Seems like the functionality isn't changing much at all. Looks like the SR model would be your best (only) choice for the needed seating. The lack of a rear locker isn't that big of a deal for light to moderate offroading. The atrac system is more than adequate to get you the traction you'll need. Crawl Control is nothing more than a sales gimmick. We have it and have only used it once to see what it was all about. With a little experience with your feet working both brake and throttle at the same time will get about the same results. Just keep the RPMs up at around 1,800rpm with your right to activate the atrac, and control your speed with the brake.

For a lift; stay away from spacer lifts. I don't care what anyone else says, you will eventually bend a shock. And it doesn't have to be caused by heavy rock crawling. Just a good hit in a deep pothole will do the job. Old Man Emu has some quality kits at an affordable price. Bilstein also offers some cheaper kits but lately their quality and reliability is questionable. ToyTec Lifts is what we prefer, great quality, fair pricing, and exceptional warranty and customer service.

ARB makes good quality, affordable bumpers. They tend to be on the heavy side and (in our opinion) not that attractive. There's better ones out there.

If you want some inspiration and ideas on building your rig, give our YouTube channel a look see: DSC_1011.JPG

Hesko

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Landurm, SC
First Name
Adam
Last Name
J
Member #

Great choice on getting a 4Runner! We've had ours for a couple years now and truly enjoy the interior size, shorter wheelbase, and availability of quality aftermarket parts.

I haven't paid much attention to the 2020 models. Seems like the functionality isn't changing much at all. Looks like the SR model would be your best (only) choice for the needed seating. The lack of a rear locker isn't that big of a deal for light to moderate offroading. The atrac system is more than adequate to get you the traction you'll need. Crawl Control is nothing more than a sales gimmick. We have it and have only used it once to see what it was all about. With a little experience with your feet working both brake and throttle at the same time will get about the same results. Just keep the RPMs up at around 1,800rpm with your right to activate the atrac, and control your speed with the brake.

For a lift; stay away from spacer lifts. I don't care what anyone else says, you will eventually bend a shock. And it doesn't have to be caused by heavy rock crawling. Just a good hit in a deep pothole will do the job. Old Man Emu has some quality kits at an affordable price. Bilstein also offers some cheaper kits but lately their quality and reliability is questionable. ToyTec Lifts is what we prefer, great quality, fair pricing, and exceptional warranty and customer service.

ARB makes good quality, affordable bumpers. They tend to be on the heavy side and (in our opinion) not that attractive. There's better ones out there.

If you want some inspiration and ideas on building your rig, give our YouTube channel a look see: View attachment 108624

CPick

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West FL
Member #

I really like my 2017 SR5 Premium. Been super reliable and goes everywhere I want it to. Icon suspension has been the best upgrade I've done. Haven't needed a rear locker, but I've been thinking about adding an ARB to the rear, just because.... Don't worry about the roof rack with a sunroof, most manufacturers seem to be able to work with it. I have the BajaRack Flat rack, works fine with sunroof.

fullsizeoutput_1f0.jpeg

Reactions: boz4rnr

Thebighomie

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Riverside, CA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Goyette
Member #

I really like my 2017 SR5 Premium. Been super reliable and goes everywhere I want it to. Icon suspension has been the best upgrade I've done. Haven't needed a rear locker, but I've been thinking about adding an ARB to the rear, just because.... Don't worry about the roof rack with a sunroof, most manufacturers seem to be able to work with it. I have the BajaRack Flat rack, works fine with sunroof.

View attachment 108863
What stage icon did you go with?