Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arvada, Colorado, United States
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

I've got a 2000 watt renogy inverter I'll be installing in the back of my pickup. This inverter has the ability to hardwire a 110v circuit. I'd like to install a receptacle in the topper interior and maybe a waterproof receptacle on the outside. My question is how do you fuse/breaker this circuit. I cant find any definitive info online. It seems alot of camper/RVs use a large breaker panel with the kind of breakers youd use in a house panel. That seems like over kill. Is there something else I could use or would work? ANL fuse? The small 20 or 30 amp breakers they use with 12volt systems? The glass tubular fuses used in car audio? Any help is appreciated

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
If you want a breaker on that AC circuit, you will absolutely need to use an AC breaker. AC and DC breakers are NOT swappable as they work in different ways. Whenever i'm wiring AC circuits in vehicles, i always use AC breakers just as you would with normal house wiring. Blue Sea Systems makes some really nice AC breakers and breaker panels if you are looking for a recommendation.

GMC Tank

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

I'm leaning towards a box like this. Like I said seems like overkill for a vehicle. But that seems like what the big RVs use. I'm unsure why a 12volt 20amp breaker wouldn't work even though it would be for a 110v receptacle, the amperage is the same. Thanks for your response

GMC Tank

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

Blue Sea. That the brand I'm going to go with if I absolutely need to use a real breaker
They sell a small surface mount box that isn't too huge. Also I guess I'll use 10 gauge stranded. I read that solid wire is never recommended for vehicle applications. Even though some people say they've used Romex. Alot of conflicting info out there

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Blue Sea. That the brand I'm going to go with if I absolutely need to use a real breaker
They sell a small surface mount box that isn't too huge. Also I guess I'll use 10 gauge stranded. I read that solid wire is never recommended for vehicle applications. Even though some people say they've used Romex. Alot of conflicting info out there
FWIW, Conqueror uses Romex for all the 110/120/220 in their trailers - note that all that is contained INSIDE the trailer behind panels/walls, none of it is ever exposed to the outside environment. The newer ones are also wired to normal home-use GFCI outlets

Reactions: GMC Tank

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Always use stranded wire for mobile use to prevent stress cracking from vibration. good advice above on diference between 120 and 12 volt electrical devices. You should be able to go online and find an installation manual and wiring diagram for your inverter. for the output 12 gauge wire would be fine for a 20 amp receptacle, 14 gauge for 15 amp receptacle. also make sure the wire is approved for exposed use if not in conduit or behind protective coverings. Some inverters have output protection built in, some of the larger ones have output protection for the unit, but it is to big for the individual circuits, also make sure to properly size the input wires, 2000 watts output at 120 volts is 16.7 amps, however the input at 12 volts is 166.7 amps. size of wire is very dependent on distance from battery to inverter, a 3 foot run of cable with a 2k inverter would work on #2 wire but the volt drop would be on the high end, I would go with 2/0 cable which will result in a 1% loss at full load. There are charts on line that will let you know what wire size to use based on distance and load. Make sure to use good quality full copper wire not copper clad aluminum with lugs pre pressed on, if pressing your own lugs make sure to use a good brand such as Ancor, not the cheap ones from Amazon as they will not take or keep a proper crimp and loose crimps cause heat and worse issues. also use a good quality fuse and holder or circuit breaker on the input side near the battery, Bussman or similar, had a knockoff from Amazon fail on my Jeep within 2 months, never again.

Z714XPLOR

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast II

Orange County, California
First Name
Jorge
Last Name
Vazquez
Member #

I've got a 2000 watt renogy inverter I'll be installing in the back of my pickup. This inverter has the ability to hardwire a 110v circuit. I'd like to install a receptacle in the topper interior and maybe a waterproof receptacle on the outside. My question is how do you fuse/breaker this circuit. I cant find any definitive info online. It seems alot of camper/RVs use a large breaker panel with the kind of breakers youd use in a house panel. That seems like over kill. Is there something else I could use or would work? ANL fuse? The small 20 or 30 amp breakers they use with 12volt systems? The glass tubular fuses used in car audio? Any help is appreciated
20A GFCI Breaker, DIN Rail Mount, C Trip Curve 120V AC, 30mA Earth Leakage, NDB1L-32C-20-120V could be used on output. Place breaker inside a mounted box. Same for receptacle.

Reactions: GMC Tank

GMC Tank

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

After all the advice and all the research I ended up just wiring the inverter directly to the battery and hard wiring a receptacle to the 120 volt outs on the inverter. The Renogy inverter has a blade fuse which I assume would cut power to the receptacle and shut off the outlets on the unit itself.

Z714XPLOR

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast II

Orange County, California
First Name
Jorge
Last Name
Vazquez
Member #

If you want to improve your installation for safety precautions / fire prevention / short circuit protection add a breaker before the receptacle. Use GFCI type receptacle.

Renogy inverter has 90% efficiency
2000W VDC to AC = 2000 x .9 = 1800W VAC power available
1800W/120VAC = 15 amps AC / 20 amp breaker should work or you can carry a handful of 20 amp fuses.

Reactions: zgfiredude

GMC Tank

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

If you want to improve your installation for safety precautions / fire prevention / short circuit protection add a breaker before the receptacle. Use GFCI type receptacle.

Renogy inverter has 90% efficiency
2000W VDC to AC = 2000 x .9 = 1800W VAC power available
1800W/120VAC = 15 amps AC / 20 amp breaker should work or you can carry a handful of 20 amp fuses.
You're probably right. I'll do it if I can find a breaker option that isn't a box/breake3 combo that's like out of a house. Seems like over kill. I'm wondering if I could use a 15 amp breaker like for car audio

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
You're probably right. I'll do it if I can find a breaker option that isn't a box/breake3 combo that's like out of a house. Seems like overkill. I'm wondering if I could use a 15 amp breaker for car audio
I don't think so the voltage is too low most of them seem to run out at 42V.

But you led me down the rabbit hole of checking, it is bizarre to me that there is nothing for small trailers outside of Blue Sea. I found some Chinese stuff that was cheap but none of it is UL or CSA approved, and the reviews were pretty mixed.
But you could use that add a couple of breakers and the box for about 50.00 and it is small.