Need a new rig, and want you opinions!

• Thread starter Deleted member 16081
  • Start date
  • HTML tutorial
D

Deleted member 16081

Hey guys so I’m down in Columbus, GA. My rig was my rusty old 95 k1500 Silverado 3in loft with 33s. But I recently sold that for money to buy a motorcycle. Now I’m missing owning a 4x4 AND a truck, to the point that I’m actually considering selling my 2015 Scat Pack Shaker for money for a new rig to go exploring in. I want it to work effectively as both a daily driver and a off road/camping vehicle, that I could keep for years to come. The issue is that in my price range there is just about everything. I’d like to list off some of the possible rigs and a short reason as to why I’m thinking about that rig. And I’ll do so in the order that I am thinking.

1. TOYOTA TACOMA TRD OFF ROAD / PRO
-long term reliability
-resale value is amazing
-after market parts if wanted
-I get a truck again

2. TOYOTA 4RUNNER TRD OFF ROAD
-shorter wheel base
-long term reliability
-resale value is amazing
-my wife gets an SUV she’d like

3. TOYOTA FJ CRUISER
-that easy to maintain interior
-can find for the cheapest price
-long term reliability
-wife thinks it’s ugly but it’s definitely different
-that Toyota resale value

4. CHEVY COLORADO ZR2 OFF ROAD DIESEL
-lift
-comes with aggressive tires
-midsize & Diesel
-engine and trans should last forever
-FRONT AND REAR LOCKERS IS AMAZING

5. CHEVY SILVERADO 2500 DURAMAX
-get my truck
-a Duramax & Allison trans that both my father and brother have and know everything about
-will last forever
-long range per tank
-heavy duty parts can take a beating
-heavy duty parts can be expensive
-it’s spacious and full of power
-too big for some trails

6. FORD EXPLORER GEN 6
-wife wants one anyways
-cheap to maintain
-cheap to keep gas in the tank
-I relied on it in foreign countries (Middle East) and It never let me down

So I’ll be in GA for awhile and I’m trying to move to NC this summer. And like I said looking for something that could be used for daily driving. I am not going to heavily modify any of them. The major things to just about any will be aggressive all terrain tires and a heavy duty bumper. Other than that I’d like to keep it fairly stock. I’m military and have survived weeks out in the swamps and mountains on my feet with just MREs. And I don’t need all the luxuries brought by lets say a fridge in my truck. Don’t get me wrong it’s awesome but for me I’m happy with getting a good cooler and making a fire to cook. Thanks guys I’m open to all your opinions as it is such a variety!

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Hey guys so I’m down in Columbus, GA. My rig was my rusty old 95 k1500 Silverado 3in loft with 33s. But I recently sold that for money to buy a motorcycle. Now I’m missing owning a 4x4 AND a truck, to the point that I’m actually considering selling my 2015 Scat Pack Shaker for money for a new rig to go exploring in. I want it to work effectively as both a daily driver and a off road/camping vehicle, that I could keep for years to come. The issue is that in my price range there is just about everything. I’d like to list off some of the possible rigs and a short reason as to why I’m thinking about that rig. And I’ll do so in the order that I am thinking.

1. TOYOTA TACOMA TRD OFF ROAD / PRO
-long term reliability
-resale value is amazing
-I get a truck again

2. TOYOTA 4RUNNER TRD OFF ROAD
-shorter wheel base
-long term reliability
-resale value is amazing
-my wife gets an SUV she’d like

3. TOYOTA FJ CRUISER
-that easy to maintain interior
-can find for the cheapest price
-long term reliability
-wife thinks it’s ugly but it’s definitely different
-that Toyota resale value

4. CHEVY COLORADO ZR2 OFF ROAD DIESEL
-lift
-comes with aggressive tires
-midsize & Diesel
-engine and trans should last forever
-FRONT AND REAR LOCKERS IS AMAZING

5. CHEVY SILVERADO 2500 DURAMAX
-get my truck
-a Duramax & Allison trans that both my father and brother have and know everything about
-will last forever
-long range per tank
-heavy duty parts can take a beating
-heavy duty parts can be expensive
-it’s spacious and full of power
-too big for some trails

6. FORD EXPLORER GEN 6
-wife wants one anyways
-cheap to maintain
-cheap to keep gas in the tank
-I relied on it in foreign countries (Middle East) and It never let me down

So I’ll be in GA for awhile and I’m trying to move to NC this summer. And like I said looking for something that could be used for daily driving. I am not going to heavily modify any of them. The major things to just about any will be aggressive all terrain tires and a heavy duty bumper. Other than that I’d like to keep it fairly stock. I’m military and have survived weeks out in the swamps and mountains on my feet with just MREs. And I don’t need all the luxuries brought by lets say a fridge in my truck. Don’t get me wrong it’s awesome but for me I’m happy with getting a good cooler and making a fire to cook. Thanks guys I’m open to all your opinions as it is such a variety!
I would go with a 4Runner. I am bias of course. It's perfect for a DD and overlanding/off road vehicle...even stock with proper tires. I modified mine slowly over 2ish years for where I eventually wanted to go with it.

It is versatile enough to change the inside to your needs for work and play and still look good, have room for passengers, and of course outfit it with needed supplies for getting away from the maddening crowds.

Look forward to seeing what you choose.

Reactions: Desert Runner

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Don't forget the Nissan Frontier! You can get them in crew cab with a full 6' bed and the Pro4X off-road package that includes a rear locker! I've been very happy with my Xterra and would gladly own a Frontier if I was in the market for a small pickup.

Damil

Rank III

Advocate II

Do you need something new??? I daily my 82 and love it. The money I save goes directly into camping gear and performance/maintenance parts and would jump into it tomorrow and head off to the west coast without thinking twice.

I agree with MazeVX, I think it should really pivot on what the wife likes if you plan on her being apart of it all.

Sounds like you are really pushing for a duramax... Personally, I wouldn't own a diesel again unless it was used to make money. We have had a lot of issues with heavy diesels on the trails on the north/south east. I just feel it takes a lot more money to make a diesel do what a lighter/smaller vehicle do out on the trails. Weight has a significant factor out on the trails, and something with that much power can really tear stuff up on itself if not built correctly.

I am not against fords, but I wouldn't take that out on a lot of the trails I go on just due to how its built.

Against FJ cruiser as well. They are a beautiful looking truck but I think there are more practical options.

The ZR2... I honestly don't know... Could be an awesome rig if the price is right, but sounds like it could be a money pit.

4runner is good...... ....... BUT,

Personally, I would stick with an older Toyota Tacoma with the TRD package. Something you can purchase outright and not have to have a mortgage on.... I have ran a lot of suvs, but love having a truck bed and shell to keep my gear separated. Plus you can actually use it as a truck like God intended men to drive ha!

But if the wife wants a ford.... I would get a ford lol..

Reactions: MazeVX
D

Deleted member 16081

Do you need something new??? I daily my 82 and love it. The money I save goes directly into camping gear and performance/maintenance parts and would jump into it tomorrow and head off to the west coast without thinking twice.

I agree with MazeVX, I think it should really pivot on what the wife likes if you plan on her being apart of it all.

Sounds like you are really pushing for a duramax... Personally, I wouldn't own a diesel again unless it was used to make money. We have had a lot of issues with heavy diesels on the trails on the north/south east. I just feel it takes a lot more money to make a diesel do what a lighter/smaller vehicle do out on the trails. Weight has a significant factor out on the trails, and something with that much power can really tear stuff up on itself if not built correctly.

I am not against fords, but I wouldn't take that out on a lot of the trails I go on just due to how its built.

Against FJ cruiser as well. They are a beautiful looking truck but I think there are more practical options.

The ZR2... I honestly don't know... Could be an awesome rig if the price is right, but sounds like it could be a money pit.

4runner is good...... ....... BUT,

Personally, I would stick with an older Toyota Tacoma with the TRD package. Something you can purchase outright and not have to have a mortgage on.... I have ran a lot of suvs, but love having a truck bed and shell to keep my gear separated. Plus you can actually use it as a truck like God intended men to drive ha!

But if the wife wants a ford.... I would get a ford lol..
Some awesome points! With the wife it’s pretty easy because It seems she really wants to save up the money from her paychecks and know she worked hard to get her own SUV. And on the other end my challenger scat Pack should be paid off this summer. Being limited to only 2 cars after selling my truck I do need something a little newer and very reliable as well as decent gas mileage which should be easy after a old lifted Silverado and a 6.4L v8 muscle car.

I also feel you about the older trucks I loved having an older truck, the engine and trans had 250k but we’re perfect, and would drive it anywhere but the fact is when I don’t have a spare car things go on older vehicles maybe not the drivetrain but even parts like window, door handles, etc. I will one daily another old vehicle I don’t need to worry about getting hit but it is just not that time yet. Getting out of the military about to buy my first house and finally get a good job with what I’ve been doing. I’m actually trying to get a reliable truck that will last a long time and when I get my garage I want my cheaper car to be an old muscle car to fix up if you feel me haha

That is also what I’ve been thinking about with the diesels, but I am as of now leaning towards the Tacoma as the best all around option between size, weight, lockers, gas mileage, resale value, etc. I think my biggest concern is getting heavy duty bumpers and needing to do some work to the suspension. And that truck should last me years until I feel it’s time to get my duramax. And if I got the 4 runner I think I’d end up just letting my wife daily it and start daily driving her 01 focus as my work car. I will be talking it over with her some more though for sure.

IM LOVING ALL THE INSIGHT PLEASE KEEP IT COMING GUYS!

Vadim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Hey I second the consideration of a Nissan Frontier. I recently acquired a 2014 Pro-4x model and they are great trucks. Yes the overall look of the truck hasnt changed in 14 years but that also makes it more affordable over a Tacoma. Dont get me wrong, Tacomas are great and that was my first consideration but they were way over priced for my needs/wants/budget.

My frontier came stock with Bilstein shocks, 265/75/16 (31.5") tires, rear diff locker, heated seats, navigation, descent control, back up cameras. Im sure there is more that I may have missed. I currently added a front winch bumper and a 2"F/1.5"R leveling lift to it along with 1" wheel spacers and the truck is perfect for my daily needs and occasional off road adventures.

Reactions: TerryD
D

Deleted member 16081

Hey I second the consideration of a Nissan Frontier. I recently acquired a 2014 Pro-4x model and they are great trucks. Yes the overall look of the truck hasnt changed in 14 years but that also makes it more affordable over a Tacoma. Dont get me wrong, Tacomas are great and that was my first consideration but they were way over priced for my needs/wants/budget.

My frontier came stock with Bilstein shocks, 265/75/16 (31.5") tires, rear diff locker, heated seats, navigation, descent control, back up cameras. Im sure there is more that I may have missed. I currently added a front winch bumper and a 2"F/1.5"R leveling lift to it along with 1" wheel spacers and the truck is perfect for my daily needs and occasional off road adventures.
I’ll be honest I have a hard time getting over the overall look and appearance... but looking past that and trying to open my horizons, how would you rate the overall reliability and capabilities of the frontiers?

D

Deleted member 16081

No love for the Ranger? ;)
I don’t know maybe I’ll stop by a ford dealership to take a look. but I think they’re too new here in the US for me being that I refuse to buy a brand new vehicle

Vadim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

I’ll be honest I have a hard time getting over the overall look and appearance... but looking past that and trying to open my horizons, how would you rate the overall reliability and capabilities of the frontiers?
Yeah all the Nissan truck guys are waiting for an update any day now. I just couldn't justify paying double for a Tacoma because I only really liked them in the 2016+ years. The frontier has good reliability, that is why its stuck around for so long. I've included an article below but the truck has ones quite a few awards by JD Power and Associates.

As for capability, the Pro-4x has all the exact specs as the Tacoma TRD Off Road but a bit more power. I also like the new Ranger FX4 and Colorado ZR2 that came out but the budget wouldnt allow it. I would definitely consider one in a few years once the used market prices start to drop.

https://www.autoguide.com/manufacturer/nissan/trucks-getting-too-expensive-10-reasons-to-get-a-nissan-frontier

D

Deleted member 16081

Yeah all the Nissan truck guys are waiting for an update any day now. I just couldn't justify paying double for a Tacoma because I only really liked them in the 2016+ years. The frontier has good reliability, that is why its stuck around for so long. I've included an article below but the truck has ones quite a few awards by JD Power and Associates.

As for capability, the Pro-4x has all the exact specs as the Tacoma TRD Off Road but a bit more power. I also like the new Ranger FX4 and Colorado ZR2 that came out but the budget wouldnt allow it. I would definitely consider one in a few years once the used market prices start to drop.

https://www.autoguide.com/manufacturer/nissan/trucks-getting-too-expensive-10-reasons-to-get-a-nissan-frontier
You’re getting me pretty intrigued. You have any pictures of yours?

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
If you are planning to buy a home I would not be planning to buy a vehicle with payments, but that is more of a budgetary discussion.

.... If you are planning to buy a home, you will want a truck of some sort. I really like my '99 Land Cruiser and '86 Comanche (comparing SUV and Truck), but if I had to downsize to one vehicle, I would pick a 'compact/midsize' truck with an extended cab. You get the best of both worlds.

Reactions: Damil

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I don’t know maybe I’ll stop by a ford dealership to take a look. but I think they’re too new here in the US for me being that I refuse to buy a brand new vehicle
We have the ranger for some time over here in europe and it's known as a reliable workhorse, the thing is that the new one isn't only new to the US it's completely new, so no one can really say something about it.
We get the ranger raptor and I'm curious about it, even if I don't think about selling my jeep.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel TrailHawk? Also if you can find GC Diesel Limited or V8 with Off-Road Adventure Group II. No air lift normal struts but it has Quadra Drive instead Quadra Trac II.

D

Deleted member 16081

If you are planning to buy a home I would not be planning to buy a vehicle with payments, but that is more of a budgetary discussion.

.... If you are planning to buy a home, you will want a truck of some sort. I really like my '99 Land Cruiser and '86 Comanche (comparing SUV and Truck), but if I had to downsize to one vehicle, I would pick a 'compact/midsize' truck with an extended cab. You get the best of both worlds.
I agree but that why I will not have payments on this vehicle

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Chevy Silverado 2500 gets my vote, why?
Because I like fullsize rigs and wan to see something other then 4runners/Tacomas

Reactions: Built By Fluffy