First Name
Travis
Last Name
Putnam
Member #

Service Branch
USAF (ret)
Hey everyone
I just got into overlanding here in NC and I'm in need of help finding routes. My problem is I'm in a 2WD 2008 4Runner (Daystar Lift and KO2 Tires), so I think Uwharrie National Forest might me to much from the videos I have seen. I live in the Wilson NC area but like adventure and willing to travel out the area to try something new. I moved out here from Montana and it was a different beast out west, i have yet to find very many dirt roads even around Wilson area.

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

Welcome to NC. Most of the fun stuff is in western NC from my perspective. Here's a link to a thread that will be worth reading through including a map for the northwest corner of the state. Most of those roads are either county gravel or easy forest service roads.

Reactions: BackwoodsRider

BackwoodsRider

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Wilson, NC, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Putnam
Member #

Service Branch
USAF (ret)
Welcome to NC. Most of the fun stuff is in western NC from my perspective. Here's a link to a thread that will be worth reading through including a map for the northwest corner of the state. Most of those roads are either county gravel or easy forest service roads.
justjames, that is kinda what I figure. But I have no issues driving out there for a weekend trip. Do you have the link you mentioned above.

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

Duh! Forgot the link!

THorner

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Sharpsburg, NC, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Horner
Member #

Welcome to OB. You're just down the road from me. I've been heading west to go on runs with the NC/SC Charlotte group. We've done Old NC 105 and Gorges State Park in the past couple of months. There is another run planned for the first weekend in September. Not sure where just yet, but, it'll probably be in western NC.

Reactions: NC-Trooper

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Uwharrie (URE) has a lot of trails varying in difficulty but 2WD does put you at a disadvantage. There are plenty of dirt roads in URE that will take you to other cool stuff (hiking, fishing, mountain biking, etc) so it is still worth the trip if you like that stuff that doesn't require an off-road rig.

You are more than welcome to join us in the CLT area for our trips. When we have large groups at a place like URE we will split up based on rig capabilities so people aren't left behind or held back and then reconvene for camp and meals. Generally speaking, we mostly do dirt road stuff and camping that technically doesn't require 4WD.

The Rally Point set for the trip SHOULD distignuish whether or not 4WD is needed but even then I have a winch and love to use it!!

"It doesn't matter what you drive." but it does matter where you drive it! We are excited to have you in NC and I hope to see you at some of our meet ups!

Reactions: HeelsFan72