Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
DiMauro
Member #

Hey guys! We were planning a camping/overland trip this weekend in North Carolina to just get away from everything for a few days.

I can see that all the state run campsites are closed but can anyone confirm if free camping and boondocking is still allowed.

We wanted to find a nice secluded spot off Old NC 105 and camp for sat and sun.

Mitch65

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
DiMauro
Member #

Only one way to find out. Just make sure you report back what you discover.
Haha yep I sure will. I would think I’m ok since I won’t be in a state park but rather a national forest. Old Nc 105 is in the pisquh National Forest

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Can't help with info on that end of the state but, at this time, Cape Lookout National Seshore is open. The cabins on South Core Banks will be closed starting 3/23 but beach camping is allowed and the two ferry services to get you there are open. Ferry service to Portsmouth Island (North Core) will start on April 3. The following update (as of 3/21) was pulled from the PI Fishing facebook page;

We will be opening April 3 unless otherwise notified! Even with Carteret County putting out bulletin about entering the county! Just got back from a NPS meeting and YES you can still get thru to your favorite island ... North Core will NOT have ice and gas (as stated before) there is new road signage and please follow all rules for creatures! This is your park treat her like you would like to be treated! Make sure you bring trash bags and you have to bring all your trash off with you! See you soon! Call if you have questions, dont forget to get your Off Road Vehicle Permit (call the NPS and they will help you 252-728-2250)

No big deall on the absence of ice and gas - just need to make sure you have plenty of beer and bait!!! Takes me back to the good old days of the sixties. Social distancing is not a problem at CALO.

Al

Reactions: grubworm

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

From what I've read most states are doing the following, which is in line with what the NPS is doing. I've seen several of our parks with historical items such as lodges, trams, forts, visitor centers are closed for preservation of those places while no one is manning them. Some parks are being manned by staff who live on site, but will not have direct contact with the public. Some will answer phones and aid in emergency situations. Essentially, parks that have visiting hours only are closed. Where I am, Texas:

Buy all permits online ahead of time. Self pay stations will have very limited availability.
No new backcountry camping permits, but if you have one already, you can still use it.
No staffing of any kind except if the park has police/security and/or fire/rescue. NPS parks are free to enter. No trash, guided tours, ranger services, etc. Texas is pay station only access, but there is no one from TPS monitoring campsites.
No group camping or picnicking allowed. (10 or more).
No gatherings of any kind of more than 10 people anywhere.

Guidelines that should be obvious now.

Bring some kind of comms due to very limited police/fire presence at most parks. A mobile phone may not be enough.
Pack out way more than you pack in. People are stupid and figure "someone else will pick up this trash if I lay it next to the overflowing trash can".
Social distancing (which is the whole point of camping)?
Consider self portable toilets as vaults and port-a-johns will fill and are not being maintained.

Boondocking shouldn't be an issue at all, anywhere... and more importantly, there really isn't anyone policing the parks so be safe, be smart and keep an eye on your potential neighbors.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I think the order to stay home, travel only for neccessities of life, might give a peace officer huge leeway to ticket you.

The big difference, stay at home vs travel and camp solo is the risk you put everyone else in if you need assistance for anything.
Including the peace officer asking what you are doing.

My interpretation is no, travel is the issue, no matter how you do it.

90509383_3572118756195270_952636764298674176_n.jpg

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

The big difference, stay at home vs travel and camp solo is the risk you put everyone else in if you need assistance for anything.
Granted we are in strange times but with this mindset you should never leave your house for fear of putting someone at risk for the possibility "if you need assistance for anything".

I think it is more about risk management; obviously you don't go into the outback if you know your vehicle isn't mechanically sound. Same can happen if running to the store or even the emergency room.

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

Billiebob said: The big difference, stay at home vs travel and camp solo is the risk you put everyone else in if you need assistance for anything.

Granted we are in strange times but with this mindset you should never leave your house for fear of putting someone at risk for the possibility "if you need assistance for anything".

I think it is more about risk management; obviously you don't go into the outback if you know your vehicle isn't mechanically sound. Same can happen if running to the store or even the emergency room.
Just found this on the news feed... "Some police Departments are responding to only calls that involve emergencies – calls like fender benders and lost items are being handled over the phone or people are required to go and give a statement at the police station." Guess it depends on where you are but those peace officers may not be responding in the first place. If you go out plan on some means of self extraction and make sure you pack your first aid kit.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

This from Travel BC today.
All our tourism agencies are asking you to stay home.

89927740_10158016572074932_2024004227298230272_n.png