Contributor III

Portage la Prairie, Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Leonhardt
Member #

Hey all,

I recently bought a subscription to Gaia GPS because it’s on sale for Christmas. I am really blown away by the map selection. I’ve always used backroad map books or topo Canada maps for trail navigation, but I was wondering what other people would consider the best map for off road trails?

Spaceburger

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Modesto
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6RUF
Hey all,

I recently bought a subscription to Gaia GPS because it’s on sale for Christmas. I am really blown away by the map selection...?
I've used an older version of Gaia on my Ipad for the past 3 years and found most off-roaders use it. I've tried others but nothing new since Gaia. Its pretty cool you can post your trail adventure as well as photos along the way. What I have found is the GPS chipset in older Ipads do not work well so I bluetooth to a Garmin Glo and that device provides sub-meter resolution.

Joshua_Lionstrong

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Leonhardt
Member #

I've used an older version of Gaia on my Ipad for the past 3 years and found most off-roaders use it. I've tried others but nothing new since Gaia. Its pretty cool you can post your trail adventure as well as photos along the way. What I have found is the GPS chipset in older Ipads do not work well so I bluetooth to a Garmin Glo and that device provides sub-meter resolution.
What map overlay on Gaia do you run?

Spaceburger

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Modesto
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6RUF
I liked their USGS Topo maps in the older version of Gaia. I understand the newer version can import and use custom maps I create in Caltopo (com). I like planning in Caltopo then importing waypoints into Gaia. When I upgrade Gaia I may try that import but haven’t yet.

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
I use Gaia Pro and find I don't need anything else as long as I have downloaded the area ahead of time.

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Hey all,

I recently bought a subscription to Gaia GPS because it’s on sale for Christmas. I am really blown away by the map selection. I’ve always used backroad map books or topo Canada maps for trail navigation, but I was wondering what other people would consider the best map for off road trails?
For Canada, the premium Backroads Mapbooks layer is the real thing!

Reactions: Joshua_Lionstrong

Wanderer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carlsb CA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Jeffery
Member #

How large an area arevyou able to down load ? How much detail?

Joshua_Lionstrong

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Leonhardt
Member #

How large an area arevyou able to down load ? How much detail?
Usually I just download the whole national/provincial park that I’m planning on exploring. I’m using the backroad map books map now, but I was wondering if anyone had taken the time to try out all the different maps that Gaia offers and if there was one that showed even more details than BRMB

Reactions: jeep670

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

My advice would be to look at all layers and maps before hand. I'll usually load every one I think I'll use, but then only turn on the ones I like/need for that particular trip.

Reactions: jeep670

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Usually I just download the whole national/provincial park that I’m planning on exploring. I’m using the backroad map books map now, but I was wondering if anyone had taken the time to try out all the different maps that Gaia offers and if there was one that showed even more details than BRMB
IMO, the brmb maps are most detailed with the most pleasant graphics.
You can download multiple layers of the same area and activate only the one you like or blend multiple layers.

Reactions: Red Mountain

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
I think people have misunderstood my question...what maps are people using in Gaia that they consider the best, given that there are so many to choose from
I did misunderstand. I use the gaia topo, roadless areas and roads and trails the most. Then use NPS if in a Park, USFS if on forest service land etc. Sometimes I tryout a new one to see how I like the look but usually go back to top three. Hope that helps

Reactions: Joshua_Lionstrong