Rank V

Traveler III

Colorado
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Brandon
Member #

Good evening - I have tried using GAIA to navigate to the trail. I'll be honest, it doesn't seem to work well for me... I could be the problem though...

What is everyone using to navigate to the trail head? If GAIA, what am I doing wrong? (really, what are you doing right?). The videos I have found for GAIA are all about on the trails.

Thanks
-B

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
I have been combining Trails Off Road and Gaia........getting to the trailhead has been mostly Google Maps when required.

Reactions: 5280Ranger

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

hummm....maybe i should give her the lat and long to the kichen and laundry room! :grinning:
:tearsofjoy:
A few years ago we were with a group of of friends and somehow the topic came up of what the wives would do without their husbands. I looked at my wife and said, "I know what you would do; laundry and dishes!":laughing:

Good evening - I have tried using GAIA to navigate to the trail. I'll be honest, it doesn't seem to work well for me... I could be the problem though...

What is everyone using to navigate to the trail head? If GAIA, what am I doing wrong? (really, what are you doing right?). The videos I have found for GAIA are all about on the trails.

Thanks
-B
Are you referring to the "guide to" feature? I haven't had much success with it either, although I've only tried it once or twice. To get to a trailhead, I usually plot out my route as one would with a paper map, then glance at the pointer occasionally in realtime to make sure I didn't miss a turn. But I'm not too keen on gps giving me directions, anyway. They seem more often than not to get me fouled up and somewhere I don't want to be.

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army

Thanks
-B
I've been using Gaia for about 6 months or so now and it seems to be working great for me. What is yours doing wrong? Also what level of Gaia are you using?

5280Ranger

Rank V

Traveler III

Colorado
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Brandon
Member #

Are you referring to the "guide to" feature? I haven't had much success with it either, although I've only tried it once or twice. To get to a trailhead, I usually plot out my route as one would with
a paper map, then glance at the pointer occasionally in realtime to make sure I didn't miss a turn. But I'm not too keen on gps giving me directions, anyway. They seem more often than not to get me fouled up and somewhere I don't want to be.
I am talking about guided. Years ago, when I rode with a motorcycle group, I got the nickname 'U-Turn'. I'm not so good with directions. Anything I can do to help myself, I will.

I've been using Gaia for about 6 months or so now and it seems to be working great for me. What is yours doing wrong? Also what level of Gaia are you using?
I am on the free version right now. I'm trying to decide if premium is worth it.

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army

Thanks
-B
Yea, Gaia “free” can be aggravating. About as good as google maps. Adventure Overlanding has an excellent video on YouTube

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I’ve said it many times before, but I’ll say it again- paper maps. Paper maps are reliable, they never break down, they don’t depend upon any kind of tower or satellite signal, and the good ones are waterproof. To be honest I have the Gaia maps downloaded on my phone along with google maps. I’ve only used Gaia once, years ago, and have no interest in another hobby. I already have 5 or 6 hobbies. I will use google to estimate mileage & time. Last week my 17 year old grandson was with me for a 2-1/2 hour drive to camp from Massachusetts to upstate NY. He was amazed that I knew how to navigate by reading signage and consulting a paper map before we headed out.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
When you tap on a waypoint, tap more, then tap driving directions. That bounces you out to Google Maps or Apple Maps depending on your settings in the app and or if you are on Android. OnX does the same thing. Neither app has native driving directions nor should they.

5280Ranger

Rank V

Traveler III

Colorado
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Brandon
Member #

When you tap on a waypoint, tap more, then tap driving directions. That bounces you out to Google Maps or Apple Maps depending on your settings in the app and or if you are on Android. OnX does the same thing. Neither app has native driving directions nor should they.
That's what I was doing wrong. I followed your directions and it worked. I had to enable Apple Maps in the settings, instead of Google because I don't have GMaps. I was able to get directions to my test point. Thanks!

Reactions: 1Louder

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
That's what I was doing wrong. I followed your directions and it worked. I had to enable Apple Maps in the settings, instead of Google because I don't have GMaps. I was able to get directions to my test point. Thanks!
There is the pinned Ask About Gaia GPS thread. I know it is long but there is useful info if you grab a favorite beverage and scroll through it. Glad it was an easy fix.

Reactions: 5280Ranger

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I just use google maps (backed up by downloaded offline maps for google maps) for street nav and GAIA once I get on the trail. I don't do turn by turn with GAIA I just incorporate the GPS into my gauge scan and turn when it comes up.