Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Background:

My 1989 Ford Bronco stock stereo headunit (single din) is outdated and in dire need of a face lift, as well as the rest of the instrument panel. My plan is a complete gut out of the stock interior from driver seats forward: building a new center console, dash rework, adding in an overhead console, replacing the front seats (for a second time), updated steering column, updating gauges (and adding in a few), relocating the climate controls, and adding in a couple of switch panels, getting a mobile Ham and GRMS radio, and a trailer brake controler.

Now onto the questions:
For the most part I have this build pretty well thought out. Where I am having problems trying to decide on what to do about my head unit.
First option (cheapest): use my current single din unit that I have in a truck I am going to take to the scrap yard. Then get a dedicated backup camera with display, and a stand alone used or cheap navigation device, and use my iPhone XR as a backup GPS.
(This option uses the most dash realestate, not very factory looking)

Option 2: Get a new Multimedia head unit, gps antenna, and a backup camera. (Not as cheap as option 1, as far as I can tell (somone educate my ignorance please) I cant use my own navigation software, can be made to look factory)

Option 3 (most expensive): an android head unit, gps antenna, and backup camera. Glitchy, most screens are hard to read in direct sunlight or with glasses on.

Option 4: get a dedicated wifi tablet with gps, 4 channel amp, bluetooth module, some kind of mic for hands free phone use (might be able to use the tablet mic), backup camera. Biggest drawback here is the backup camera probably needing its own screen.

All 4 options have their own strengths and weeknesses. I am leaning towards options 2 and 4 because I can make a clean factory installed look without a whole lot of extra work.

If you guys could give me some ideas on different products to look at, or options I havent thaught of yet, that would be great.22604050003_large.jpeg

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I'd keep it as clean looking as I could, personally, so it can be easily modified in future, if need be. Or I'd regret it in the long run, if I had to remodel everything for some new tech.

And. . . do ya really need a back up cam, or are you doing it 'cause it would be cool? A Bronco is hardly long enough to really need a back up cam for hooking up to a trailer or anything else.

I have a long wheelbase cargo van with no windows in the sides or rear and tow an off-road trailer all over America. I installed a rear-view cam for convenience, and found over time that I only use it for over the road to check on the canoe on my trailer when I'm on the interstate (I wired it so I could see it whenever I want), and now never use it for backing up, even when hooking up to my trailer.

Another thing to consider is resale, if you think you might *ever* need to sell the Bronco. Having it as close to stock or original would be wise. If a fully custom dash, there's a huge chance that what's available to fit in your custom openings by then wont fit.
Road

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
First, the backup cam... I cant see my boat when im towing it, my teens block myy rear view mirror when they ride with me, and the elephant mirrors vibrate badly, and lastly I have a hard time turning to check my right hand blind spot due to a back injury. So in short, the backup camera is almost a must.

Onto the custom dash. This won't be my first, and it wont be my last. Im not going to hack up any of my pristine dash in the process, the whole thing is coming out and going into storage, a junkyard dash skeliton is going into its place, and everything is going to plug in with Ford OEM 1987-1991 connectors. For places that I have to splice, I willbe getting that harness from the junkyard so I can splice my new wire (backup cam for instance)off the existing connector and keep the stock plugs.

As for keeping it stock, or as close to as possible, that was thrown out the window before I got it. A ZF5 transmission, twin sticked 205 behind a 300 rang box. 2008 ford F250 seats and center console. Then there is the issue of the steering system converted over to a hybrid dodge ram saginaw conversion, hydroboost, and flipped steering knuckles. All of the features minus the seats is what led me to buy this rig in the first place. I had been looking for a bronco to play hard with, and found thismproject 90% done for a price tag I couldnt refuse... 1700 for all of it... it was listed on the local CL as a ZF5 transmission with dana 300/np205 doubler. 1700 for one or the other around here is a steal, having it in a 1989 Bronco was a bonus.

Reactions: tundra21 and Road

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Well I finally came to a decision. I Kind of came up with a solution by accident. GoWireless (Verizon) is having a Christmas Sale on the Apple iPad 10.2 32 GB (7th generation) for only $369 with free activation, and $30.00 off select cases. I picked up my new iPad last night, found a sweet deal on a single din receiver headunit with a backup camera for less than 50 bucks. When the headunit comes in, I will get a install kit from Walmart to make the installation perfect.

More to come as I continue to gather goodies. I’ll continue to update here as I get more tech gadgets for my build.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I know every ones GIA on their iPads, but coming from BCN Pro, I can’t fathom spending 30 a year, there has to be a better solution.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I found a couple of older HAM Radios for sale on craigslist, are either of these a good deal?