buffalo

Rank I

Contributor II

Twin Falls, ID, USA
First Name
lee
Last Name
senn
Has anyone mounted a nature nest rooftop tent to a harbor freight trailer ? It seems like it would fit and make a really lightweight camping rig . I drive a prius with the prius "off rpad " lift kit ( gains me a lift of 1 1/2 inches ) and although it will tow my teardrop trailer fairly well it works harder than I would like on uphills ( most towing is in Idaho, Nevada, Montana and Wyoming ) so lotta mountains and hills . The combined weight of the Nature nest and Harbor Freight trailer is only about 100 lbs lighter than the teardrop but there would be a world of difference in the aerodynamics ! Any thoughts. Thanks Buffalo

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Pop over to the trailer section and look at some of the DIY stuff. I'm pretty sure I saw someone do something similar. I put a standard RTT on my M-100 and pulled that for years. I think loaded I was almost 1000 pounds. What your looking at will be way less.

Contributor III

Philippines
First Name
James
Last Name
Smith
I've actually had some experience with a similar setup. I mounted a rooftop tent on a small trailer for my camping trips, and it worked out pretty well. The lightweight nature of the tent and trailer combination made it easier for my vehicle to handle, especially on uphill drives through mountainous terrain. The improved aerodynamics definitely made a noticeable difference in fuel efficiency too. I'd say go for it, but just make sure you secure everything properly and take necessary precautions for a safe and enjoyable camping experience. Let me know if you have any other questions! ️

buffalo

Rank I

Contributor II

Twin Falls, ID, USA
First Name
lee
Last Name
senn
Thanks for your responses, both have been helpful or encouraging . I am new to the forum and was unaware of the trailer build thread and have gone through it for info . Diamon King it is always helpful to hear from someone who has actually done what you are thinking of doing . I will continue to move forward . Thanks again .

Reactions: smritte