Launch Member

Enthusiast I

El Paso, TX, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Nevarez
Member #

Exactly what my rig looks like today!! Where is your group from? I am looking for groups to join up for rides since I am new to overlanding.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Exactly what my rig looks like today!! Where is your group from? I am looking for groups to join up for rides since I am new to overlanding.
Most of us are in the Austin area. A few from San Antonio. We had a family from Florida join us this trip.

Overland Vic

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orange, CA, USA
First Name
Vic
Last Name
Member #

There is so much beauty in this world. Post your pics of any National parks, monuments, or forests you have visited. I'll go first.
Devil's Tower National Monument - Crook County, Wyoming.
View attachment 166648View attachment 166649

Nice travels Mike! Devil's tower at sunrise is an amazing site. When you were at Yellowstone, did you do the hike to the top of the mountain for the "Bird's Eye" view of Grand Prismatic?

Reactions: TxJeeper75

TxJeeper75

Rank VI

Steward I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heiman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LHN
There is so much beauty in this world. Post your pics of any National parks, monuments, or forests you have visited. I'll go first.
Devil's Tower National Monument - Crook County, Wyoming.
View attachment 166648View attachment 166649

Nice travels Mike! Devil's tower at sunrise is an amazing site. When you were at Yellowstone, did you do the hike to the top of the mountain for the "Bird's Eye" view of Grand Prismatic?
Thanks. Unfortunately very little hiking that trip. I would have loved to have seen it from that vantage point. I tried to pack too much into one adventure. I didn't even get to see everything I had planned at Yellowstone. Next time.

TxJeeper75

Rank VI

Steward I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heiman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LHN
Reactions: OscarMk

OscarMk

Rank III

Educator I

Humble, TX, USA
First Name
George
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5GDA
Denali National Park & Preserve

Alaska_2 (208).JPG
When you get a clear shot of 'the high one', you stop and take it. Parks Highway, Trapper Creek Area.

Alaska_3 (26).JPG
Toklat River Rest Stop. Denali Park Road, Mile 53

Alaska_3 (15).JPG
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

OscarMk

Rank III

Educator I

Humble, TX, USA
First Name
George
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5GDA
Got to love the Tetons on a clear day! I am torn... My mechanical side loves the Jeep pic. My artistic side loves the stream reflection pic. Thanks for sharing.

Fairbro

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlingame, CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KW6WJF
Since all eyes are on Nevada now here are some shots of the underground world of Lehman Caves, Great Basin National Park, NV.

IMG_3603.jpegIMG_3562.jpegIMG_3572.jpegIMG_3591.jpegIMG_3638.jpeg

FindAReason

Rank 0

Traveler I

CA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Hale
Just got back from Sequoia and King's Canyon. Now THAT is an area that blends national park, forest, monument, state, and God knows what else land. One second you think youbare in a national park, the next you are on a dirt road heading through a gate into an area that looks like you might be the second person through the burn zone in the last 3 years.

None of this is particularly adventurous, and if you are familiar with the area you mostly understand why. Nothing is too technically adventurous anyway.

There was one section that was just recently reopened as far as I can tell. Little sand dunes plants still growing in the tire tread marks and everything when I went through. That meant that some sections were nothing but wood under tire from the trees shedding limbs.

According to the maps, there were at least three ways out of the area I made my way into. According to the 6 foot berm in the road, the two paths completely block by a tree, and the one path blocked by a tree, that someone only cut a path wide enough for a side by side to get through, I need a God damn chain saw.

The dirt roads were an absolutely fantastic break from the hiking trails.

Attachments

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Grand Canyon / Meteor Crater / Carlsbad Canyons / Painted Desert / Petrified Forest / Sunset Crater Volcano / Route 66 / Great Sand Dunes / Padre Island National Seashore / Niagara Falls

P1020467.JPG P1020498.JPG P1020585.JPG IMG_20130701_143417.jpg P1020290.JPG P1020374.JPG P1020487.JPG P1020876.JPG IMAG1283.jpg 100_2176.JPG