Heath, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Rayne
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5ENL
I can agree with several points and not others.

I always have an America the Beautiful pass. It never gets me discounts at Forest service campgrounds (official grounds with marked sites, vault toilets, etc).

There are forests where offroad passes are required. Especially in the PNW, more specifically, Washington state. The vast majority of our national forests are free dispersed camping with no need for any passes unless you enter a designated campground where there will be an attendant to take your money and offer to sell you firewood.

The access passes are for disabled and elderly. They do get small discounts at National forest camgrounds. Just reduced pricing. Still have to pay.

Reactions: Submariner

DMASE

Rank 0

Contributor I

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Mason
If I'm not mistaken (and I could very well be blowing it out my rear), OHV permits are a State thing.

On a side note, if anyone happens to be a disabled vet, your national forest/park pass is FREE! for a LIFETIME pass! (Also Free for State parks, at least here in OR, and hopefully all the other 49 states).
It is my understanding that spouses and children of veterans are also included in the free pass.

BigH2OChief

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Carmel Mountain Ranch, San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Woody
Member #

Service Branch
US Army / US Navy
Ditto on US Park Pass for disabled vets. I never new this... till a time I was up in the Northern Cascades pulling a permit at the Mt Baker-Snoqualmie station. The Ranger saw the VA ID in my wallet and started the paperwork. She handed it to me and told me what I need to add and where to sign. I asked what it was? She said her husband is a DV so she was familiar with my ID card and BAM! I had a lifetime pass. California also provides a lifetime pass for DVs with a rating of 50% or greater.

dakight

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Gilbert, AZ, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Kight
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7DK
The America the Beautiful pass is now an annual purchase. I was fortunate enough to get mine when they were lifetime passes and I had my wife get one before they went annual. I guess it's still a good deal but the luster has dimmed a bit.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I got my America the Beautiful pass 2 years ago at my local lake run by the Army Corps of Engineers. Took all of 2 minutes and just needed the proper docs. According to the pass itself, it is a lifetime pass and good for the following locations: US Fish and Wildlife Service, Forest Service, US Army Corps of Engineers, Bureau of Land Management, National Park Service, Bureau of Reclamation.

IMAG1644.jpg

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I got my America the Beautiful pass 2 years ago at my local lake run by the Army Corps of Engineers. Took all of 2 minutes and just needed the proper docs. According to the pass itself, it is a lifetime pass and good for the following locations: US Fish and Wildlife Service, Forest Service, US Army Corps of Engineers, Bureau of Land Management, National Park Service, Bureau of Reclamation.

View attachment 201834
Yes, however, your is an Access Pass. That's different than the standard pass.

Reactions: roots66

Submariner

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Montesano, WA, USA
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Harper
Member #

As a disabled vet, I do get a lifetime pass, used it several times this summeer already. Grand canyon, chaco canyon, Aztec ruines. and 1/2 price at forest service and blm campgrounds. I do get discount at Washington State parks but not in other states.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

As a disabled vet, I do get a lifetime pass, used it several times this summeer already. Grand canyon, chaco canyon, Aztec ruines. and 1/2 price at forest service and blm campgrounds. I do get discount at Washington State parks but not in other states.
Yes. The "Access Pass" is for people with permanent disability. It does not have to be a 100% and I beleive the Access Pass is a free and lifetime pass

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

So...actually, the very title of this thread seems to be a misnomer. The America The Beautiful pass is for National Parks and other federal reserve and recreation sites. Most Forests dont charge entry. But campgrounds do, and often. You can get 40% - 50% off camping. When we got to the Badlands last month, we entered for free. We made our way to a campground at Cedar Pass and got something like half off there.

We later made our way through the Black Hills. When we got to Yellowstone, we entered for free at Gardiner.

Submariner

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Montesano, WA, USA
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Harper
Member #

As the rules stated before I left the forest Service, Any Vet with 20% disablity can get a forest access pass. They will not ask for proof of this. But if you have a letter from the VA, it willmake it smother. and it will get thur gates for free and campgrounds at 50% off. Of course Dispersal camping is free in any National forest.

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I was in Michigan at the end of May, I showed my Colorado drivers license with my military emblem on it and was given a free National Parks pass

Enthusiast I

İstanbul, Turkey
First Name
konstantine
Last Name
jaquavis
I was looking into the national forest annual pass which is 80$ a year. But as I was doing some digging it looks like the pass doesnt cover OHV trails that requires a special permit pass? Does anyone have any info on this subject?
Speed Test
I've not actually been in one of the NF permitted areas but I have been in a meeting where it was being discussed and there wasn't going to be a fee associated with the pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrChris