Rem
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HMC
Service Branch
USMC
I had my military ID card and they accepted it. (NJ only recently added the “veteran” identifier on state issued ID) Here is what they gave me at GC:
I had my Veterans ID card and got the same card you got last time I was in Death Valley.

• Love
Reactions: MrChris and al415

Geolark

Rank 0

Traveler I

Royal Oak, Michigan, USA
First Name
George
Last Name
Larkins
Just got mine recently. 1/2 price camping comes with it too.
I was dissapointed that the annual pass does not provide 1/2 price at N.F. Campgrounds. I was informed it is only the senior and disability passes that offer it. There is much confusion as it is an interagency pass. The N.F. Ranger station told me one thing and Recreation.gov told me something different. I’m east of the Mississippi so not a lot of admission discounts. I am still glad to support the parks.

U

UgotWheelz

If I'm not mistaken (and I could very well be blowing it out my rear), OHV permits are a State thing.

On a side note, if anyone happens to be a disabled vet, your national forest/park pass is FREE! for a LIFETIME pass! (Also Free for State parks, at least here in OR, and hopefully all the other 49 states).
HooYah

Reactions: MrChris

Submariner

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Montesano, WA, USA
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Harper
Member #

To go into a national forest is free, National Park are different.
The US Forest Service is ran by the Department of Agriculture
The US Park Service is ran by the Department of Interior and the Interior also runs the BLM

In the Forest you can stay in a UNDEVELOPED camp site (dispersal) for free up to 2 weeks and at a develope (has an outhouse) will cost you.
Parks will cost you and have more restrictions.
BLM has alot of differanat rules that I am not up on.

The National Park Pass will get you in free or at 1/2 cost but there are a lot of differant stipulations on that to and to many to go into here. Just know that with a park pass don't plan on it covering everything. But if you hit a lot of "parks" it will pay for itself in a year.

egilbe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Biddeford, Maine, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Gilbert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFT263, HAM:
My GF and I went up to Acadia National Park a couple weeks ago to get our Veteran's pass. We figured there was a better chance there than at the WMNF. Nope, drove the 3.5 hours to Bar Harbor and they didn't' have any passes, but it was nice driving around the parts of the park that was open with no tourists. We got there when the tide was low, so we drove out to Bar island. Its a rough drive on fully inflated tires, haha.

bar harbor.jpg

Jordan Pond was closed, but it wasn't crowded at all
bubbles.jpg

Even Sand beach was empty of tourists
sand beach.jpg
ice.jpg

We then picked another day and drove to WMNF and the Saco Visitor's center and picked up the Veteran's passes. It saved us the annual pass fee of $45 we've been paying the last 10 years as we worked on our NE67 hiking list.

Being a Veterans, the GF and I already get free Maine State park passes, except for 4, which are privately run State parks.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

My GF and I went up to Acadia National Park a couple weeks ago to get our Veteran's pass. We figured there was a better chance there than at the WMNF. Nope, drove the 3.5 hours to Bar Harbor and they didn't' have any passes, but it was nice driving around the parts of the park that was open with no tourists. We got there when the tide was low, so we drove out to Bar island. Its a rough drive on fully inflated tires, haha.

View attachment 192433

Jordan Pond was closed, but it wasn't crowded at all
View attachment 192434

Even Sand beach was empty of tourists
View attachment 192435
View attachment 192436

We then picked another day and drove to WMNF and the Saco Visitor's center and picked up the Veteran's passes. It saved us the annual pass fee of $45 we've been paying the last 10 years as we worked on our NE67 hiking list.

Being a Veterans, the GF and I already get free Maine State park passes, except for 4, which are privately run State parks.
I'll try and hit Parker River this week. If not I guess I'll make a trip to Saco for my America the Beautiful pass

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Sorry, Saco River Ranger station

Right. I understood Saco. There happens to be a river and wetland area in Newburyport, Massachusetts run by the feds called Parker River. I stopped by there today at lunch as it's only half hour from work, and submitted my request for the America The Beautiful pass. Should get it in a week or so. I'll chime in here when I do.

Thanks!

Reactions: egilbe

MrChris

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Port Hueneme, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
March
Member #

Service Branch
Army Airborne Ranger
So, I can use my Vets card to get into NF or other places for showing my card? Am I getting this right??? TOO COOL!!! HOO-AH!!!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Parker River in Mass was not issuing in the spot. I could either go to the online store MRose listed, or send a check (made out to USFWS) and self addressed stamped envelope to the Parker River station and wait for them to send it back. I spoke with someone on the phone, and although the station and visitors center were technically closed, I opted to drive there and drop it in thier mailbox, cutting down transit time.

Reactions: UgotWheelz
U

UgotWheelz

To go into a national forest is free, National Park are different.
The US Forest Service is ran by the Department of Agriculture
The US Park Service is ran by the Department of Interior and the Interior also runs the BLM

In the Forest you can stay in a UNDEVELOPED camp site (dispersal) for free up to 2 weeks and at a develope (has an outhouse) will cost you.
Parks will cost you and have more restrictions.
BLM has alot of differanat rules that I am not up on.

The National Park Pass will get you in free or at 1/2 cost but there are a lot of differant stipulations on that to and to many to go into here. Just know that with a park pass don't plan on it covering everything. But if you hit a lot of "parks" it will pay for itself in a year.
Those Frogs and UDT know everything, they have lots of time to research.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

So, ok...I received my America the Beautiful pass in the mail. I opened the envelope today and was excited to see a card with a guy skiing on a mountainside, and a small authenticity chip shaped like a compass!

Although...the picture on the website is of a guy walking in the Redwood Forest. Well, who knows. The picture on the card could vary, right?

Nope. I was disappointed when I flipped the card over and saw that the card expires the end of this month, this year.

20210417_164401.jpg20210417_171705.jpg

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Seems there was a clerical error over at Parker River. Understandable. Their visitor center has been closed a year, so they likely just dealt one off the top of the deck, not realizing it was set to expire on the punch date of THIS year. So I called them and left a message. Hopefully we can get this sorted out.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Not one to gamble and leave things to chance, and knowing we have a holiday on Monday, I drove to my local REI and purchased another America the Beautiful pass, for another $80, just to make sure I have a valid one in-pocket by the time we leave on a trip.

20210417_164421.jpg20210417_173148.jpg

Last edited:

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

So, those of you who are right now sending away for, or ordering online, these ATB passes, do double check when you get it hat the expiration date is at least as far off as this month, 2022. The guy walking in the Redwood Forest is the visual you want. If you receive a card with a skier on it, make a call.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Well, this past Monday I got a call from Denise over at the Parker River in Newburyport MA. She was so apologetic and said she was sending another card out right away.

I've already got the new card, and have sealed the expiring one in an included envelope back to her, for accountability purposes.

I just wanted to point out good service wherever I find it, and Denise at Parker River in Newburyport is that person.

At this point, I have two valid passes because I bought one at REI in case the new one disnt arrive on time. But I can always give it to a friend