Jostr

Rank I

Contributor III

Monroe nc
First Name
josh
Last Name
adams
I was looking into the national forest annual pass which is 80$ a year. But as I was doing some digging it looks like the pass doesnt cover OHV trails that requires a special permit pass? Does anyone have any info on this subject?

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

I was looking into the national forest annual pass which is 80$ a year. But as I was doing some digging it looks like the pass doesnt cover OHV trails that requires a special permit pass? Does anyone have any info on this subject?
I am not an expert, but I think the OHV passes are granted for specific Forests. There doesn't seem to be a Special Recreation Pass that covers you, NFS-wide.

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

If I'm not mistaken (and I could very well be blowing it out my rear), OHV permits are a State thing.

On a side note, if anyone happens to be a disabled vet, your national forest/park pass is FREE! for a LIFETIME pass! (Also Free for State parks, at least here in OR, and hopefully all the other 49 states).

Jostr

Rank I

Contributor III

Monroe nc
First Name
josh
Last Name
adams
Thanks everybody that's what I was thinking but I guess i wasnt asking the forest service the right questions.

Cavegorilla

Rank I

Contributor III

New Mexico
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Skelton
Any permits will be above the pass. The OHV pass is specific to a mostly NPS. There are a few NF that are also have some permitted areas that are in attempting to reduce impact and again if there is cost it above the pass you buy. I've not actually been in one of the NF permitted areas but I have been in a meeting where it was being discussed and there wasn't going to be a fee associated with the pass. The NPS on the other hand....

Reactions: mjohnson_kc

BagelVan

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Saint Petersburg, FL, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Herring
Member #

My wife and I just recently bought a Florida State Park annual family pass with 25% off for Active Duty or Veteran status. Florida offfers Free Lifetime Military Entrance Passes for honorably discharged United States veterans who have service-connected disabilities. Many other categories for discounts. Hopefully the other states are similar.

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

National Parks Service plus a bunch of others... America the Beautiful Access Pass for United States veterans who have service-connected disabilities; doesn't have to be 100% either. Free if you pick it up in person; $10 will get it through the mail.

IMG_0284.JPG

John21powerwagon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Miller
Member #

In Southern California, a pass is not required for driving through the National Forest, or stopping to snap a photo, picnic along the trail. If you opt to use a developed site, such as picnic area or other selected sites, a pass is required Federal websites will tell you what sites require a pass or not (USFS, BLM, NPS, USFWS, etc).

Reactions: BigH2OChief

al415

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Highlands, NJ, USA
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Sweeney
Hello,
As of Veteran’s Day 2020, any Vet (not just Disabled Veterans) is entitled to free entry to our National Parks. When I entered Grand Canyon earlier this month, the ranger gave me a Military Pass that I subsequently used to get into several other parks free of charge.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Hello,
As of Veteran’s Day 2020, any Vet (not just Disabled Veterans) is entitled to free entry to our National Parks. When I entered Grand Canyon earlier this month, the ranger gave me a Military Pass that I subsequently used to get into several other parks free of charge.
That’s good to hear. I wondered if there would be any questions about it from the folks at the gate.

Reactions: al415

HaVeeBear

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Elkridge, Maryland, United States
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Armendariz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3VWL
National Parks Service plus a bunch of others... America the Beautiful Access Pass for United States veterans who have service-connected disabilities; doesn't have to be 100% either. Free if you pick it up in person; $10 will get it through the mail.
I believe the Access Pass is for anyone with a disability. Not just reserved for Veterans.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I believe the Access Pass is for anyone with a disability. Not just reserved for Veterans.
You are 25% correct. Any disabled person can get an access pass... the new laws state ANY United States Armed Forces Veteran that is NOT disabled is entitled to the pass free of charge.

2dub

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Moyock, NC
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Workman
Some things to know is that these passes:
  • Will get you into the park free (generally speaking)
    • I was shocked when I went to Mt Rushmore and they didn't accept our pass. They said the park was free but at the entrance you were paying for the parking.
  • Often you can get free/ discounted camping from recreation.gov or in person. A couple of places we've visited didn't offer discounted campsites.
  • From there other amenities/perks vary from location to location in terms of other discounts on giftshops/ dining
But well worth the cost and supports our parks.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

We got ours when they were $10, the next year they jumped to $80. We also have a Fl State Forest Annual Pass and get bimonthly permits (free) with the gate combinations to get on the trails. Fl. State Park Pass, we also belong to several Boondocking free on private property memberships which is really working out nice for overnight stops while traveling.

John21powerwagon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Generally the annual/lifetime passes will allow access and fee reductions. However as stated above, Mt Rushmore, camp sites, boat launches may require an additional fee. The annual pass is the best bargain, whether it’s general version or one of the free or reduced cost passes.

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
If I'm not mistaken (and I could very well be blowing it out my rear), OHV permits are a State thing.

On a side note, if anyone happens to be a disabled vet, your national forest/park pass is FREE! for a LIFETIME pass! (Also Free for State parks, at least here in OR, and hopefully all the other 49 states).
I believe as of last Nov 11, the parks are now free to all Veterans. From what I read I can use my Colorado DL because it shows my service.