Launch Member

Contributor III

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Mo
Member #

Welcome @Mojay101 ! I'm in Nashville proper and there are quite a few other members in the area.

I drove the Dirt Devil a few years ago and it's a nice scenic drive. Make sure you stay on public roads (the entire route is) and out of the creeks.
I drove parts of the Dirt Devil last Summer. It was beautiful. I love that is a short drive away.

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
I was at windsock the week before Christmas, Saturday to be exact and what a blast it was. We only got to do one trail because we got there late and one of the rigs we were with snapped a driveshaft on 16 way beyond the point of no return so we had to pull the shaft off the downed JKU and drag and winch her up all the obstacles remaining. Definitely an amazing place to wheel. We're planing on going back the weekend of presidents day 2/17/20 leave on a Thursday and come back Monday. It was supposed to be a wheeling trip but it turned into just a day thing so instead in Feb were going to physically stay at windsock and just wheel our hearts away.

Reactions: Theo

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
These were taken from the GoPro on trail 16. Definitely was an amazing ride. It was slick and cold and due to rains over the few days prior to us arriving the trail was wet and muddy but not soupy wet either. We had a lot of boulders and trees we crossed but the climbs were amazing! If your going to do 16 there is no way to complete the trail without winching up the last two obstacles. On the last two obstacles your almost vertical deep ruts with boulders that you have to cross and the footing was terrible but we made it up even pulling a dead jeep.
Windrock TRL 16.jpegTRL 16 Creeck Crossing.jpegRut Splitting.jpegRocky Way Down.jpegWindrock TRL 16.jpegWindrock TRL 16.jpegRocky Way Down.jpegRut Splitting.jpegTRL 16 Creeck Crossing.jpeg

Cdw4n

Rank 0

Contributor I

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
W
Greetings, beginner adventurer here. I recently got my first 4Runner and I am new to off roading. I was hoping to do the dirt devil route as that seemed like a great place to start. Does anyone have the map or the GPS points for the roads?

NashvilleKara

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Kara
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Greetings, beginner adventurer here. I recently got my first 4Runner and I am new to off roading. I was hoping to do the dirt devil route as that seemed like a great place to start. Does anyone have the map or the GPS points for the roads?
Welcome! Fellow Nashvillian here. I’ve heard that as of late, that trail has been over used and the landowners are getting rather annoyed. Also, unless you have a winch, I wouldn’t run that alone. But if you’re dead set: 223 Town Center Pkwy Spring Hill TN is where you can buy the map.
On another note, we take pretty regular trips up to LBL if you want to join once we’re allowed to be near each other again.

eloist

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Nashville
You absolutely do NOT need a winch to drive the Dirt Devil roads. They're just graded, dirt roads. Only one section is challening, Ben Fly Road, and that doesn't require a winch....

(I also just gave you a location clue)

Reactions: Cdw4n

Cdw4n

Rank 0

Contributor I

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
W
You absolutely do NOT need a winch to drive the Dirt Devil roads. They're just graded, dirt roads. Only one section is challening, Ben Fly Road, and that doesn't require a winch....

(I also just gave you a location clue)
Thank you I appreciate it for the clue! And I am glad to hear I don’t need a winch for it. Everything I have read was that you didn’t even need a 4x4 for it really. I thought it was a good place to start.

On another note, I would love to go with a group to land between the lakes. Especially being a bit new, going with some folks that know their way around would be great.

NashvilleKara

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Kara
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Thank you I appreciate it for the clue! And I am glad to hear I don’t need a winch for it. Everything I have read was that you didn’t even need a 4x4 for it really. I thought it was a good place to start.

On another note, I would love to go with a group to land between the lakes. Especially being a bit new, going with some folks that know their way around would be great.
My information was in accurate it seems. My apologies.
As far as LBL we really hoping for May. Lately we have been packing out to a spot that only has an outhouse. We have a new stock 4Runner that runs with us and rumors of an Outback joining, so you’re very much welcome.

Cdw4n

Rank 0

Contributor I

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
W
My information was in accurate it seems. My apologies.
As far as LBL we really hoping for May. Lately we have been packing out to a spot that only has an outhouse. We have a new stock 4Runner that runs with us and rumors of an Outback joining, so you’re very much welcome.
That would be great and sounds like a fun time! If you could just let me know when in May y’all decide on going (also depending on how this Coronavirus thing keeps going), my wife and I would be interested in trailing along.

eloist

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Nashville
Now as for LBL.... a winch is a very, very good idea. Especially if it's rained in the previous 90 days :)

I personally do not have a winch, but I dont go up there without maxtrax and making sure at least one truck in the group has a winch.

Colt Mansfield

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Colt
Last Name
Mansfield
Member #

You can get around a whole lot of LBL without a winch. You just have to pick reasonable lines...unlike me.

And for the record, just before me a stock 4Runner drove right past that around the side of the pit.
3211A18B-C153-4242-8D17-5C52B9A933D8.jpeg1F67D0D4-BFF5-4DF5-AC2E-A878172AFB86.jpeg

TheRealMcCoy

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fayetteville, TN, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREL219
GPX viewer

Attachments

TheRealMcCoy

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fayetteville, TN, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREL219
You can get around a whole lot of LBL without a winch. You just have to pick reasonable lines...unlike me.

And for the record, just before me a stock 4Runner drove right past that around the side of the pit.
View attachment 146423View attachment 146424
Yes, I remember that. I still think you got stuck on purpose just to refresh your winch skills. I'm in the F250 behind you wondering why it's taking you so long to pull that Rubicon out...JK

• Haha
Reactions: NashvilleKara

NashvilleKara

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Kara
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Yes, I remember that. I still think you got stuck on purpose just to refresh your winch skills. I'm in the F250 behind you wondering why it's taking you so long to pull that Rubicon out...JK
LOL! I was still driving the stock Xterra on that trip and she did fine. No winching necessary. The only reason I've needed a winch was the Raptor bellied out two trips ago. I think our crew does a great job of scouting trails.

Cdw4n

Rank 0

Contributor I

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
W
LOL! I was still driving the stock Xterra on that trip and she did fine. No winching necessary. The only reason I've needed a winch was the Raptor bellied out two trips ago. I think our crew does a great job of scouting trails.
I like the sound of that! As I said I am pretty new and definitely not looking to ruin my new 4Runner, but, at the same time I got it to have some fun so going out with some people that now what they are doing and can help recover me when I inevitably get stuck would be great!