Nashville, Tennessee

• HTML tutorial

ExpeditionDriven

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

Hello from Spring Hill, TN! I am new to this community and am excited to see there are overlanders in my area!

I drive a 2003 Toyota Tundra SR5 with 33's. Looking for some nearby land with mild trails even a 2WD could handle. (I bought my grandfathers truck after he passed and it's only 2WD). Anyone have any suggestions or own some property they'd let people camp on?

I would also be super willing to do a meetup and get to know some of the community!

GoXplore

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, TN
First Name
David
Last Name
Yancy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4DKY
Hello from Spring Hill, TN! I am new to this community and am excited to see there are overlanders in my area!

I drive a 2003 Toyota Tundra SR5 with 33's. Looking for some nearby land with mild trails even a 2WD could handle. (I bought my grandfathers truck after he passed and it's only 2WD). Anyone have any suggestions or own some property they'd let people camp on?

I would also be super willing to do a meetup and get to know some of the community!
Tyler, I'm not too far from you in Thompson's Station. As for your question about mild trails, if you are looking to go off-road in a setting where others would be around to assist you should you get stuck, I would check out Wooly's Off-Road down near Lewisburg. Quite a lot of that land is do-able with a 2WD truck provided it has ample ground clearance. There are definitely things there that you won't want to attempt without 4WD.

http://www.woolysoffroad.com/

If you're looking to just get out and enjoy some primitive roads, there are always the "access roads" in LBL near the KY/TN border. It's not "close" but it isn't so far away that you couldn't drive up in the morning, spend the day exploring, and be back home at night. I would go with a friend or two, though, since cell-phone coverage can be spotty in parts and if you get stuck you'll want to have brought your help with you.

Reactions: Dave_brez

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

A word of caution on Wooly's is that many many trails are overgrown and you will get some nice trail rash down there. Since you're looking for 2wd trails you may be fine though. Another thing to check out (link below) is the Dirt Devil. It's about 30 minutes west of Spring Hill and is really just a bunch of dirt roads in the country.

https://www.gaiagps.com/public/dWme2JmhTclb7KMkd51D0vkP

TN_Tacosupreme

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Springfield, TN
Member #

Hey all..new to OB and trying to find time to learn the navigation around this site. I live in Springfield and look forward to everything from getting a group together and enjoying a spur of the moment day trip to a weekend long trip. Work schedule pretty much stinks but try to get out as often as possible. This was from a day trip to Nemo’s Tunnel yesterday.
. (2nd Tacoma from the Left is mine) I’ll be watching for upcoming events and will definitely post trips we have scheduled.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:

TheDonutAllStar

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hi team! I just joined this group, and I've been looking for a resource like this for awhile. I'm brand new to the whole overlanding thing, and still working on my rig (2018 Tacoma TRD sport) but am so glad to have found a resource here.

Like others have said, I'm looking for easy terrain to just get started, and find a place where I can get out of the bustle for a bit and camp. I'm not looking to rock crawl or do anything crazy, nor do I have the lift/tires for such a thing. Just a place off the beaten bath where I can find a clear spot to camp and cook and hang for a day and then head back to Nashville.

Any tips?

eloist

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Nashville
Hi team! I just joined this group, and I've been looking for a resource like this for awhile. I'm brand new to the whole overlanding thing, and still working on my rig (2018 Tacoma TRD sport) but am so glad to have found a resource here.

Like others have said, I'm looking for easy terrain to just get started, and find a place where I can get out of the bustle for a bit and camp. I'm not looking to rock crawl or do anything crazy, nor do I have the lift/tires for such a thing. Just a place off the beaten bath where I can find a clear spot to camp and cook and hang for a day and then head back to Nashville.

Any tips?
Land Between the Lakes. You don't have to take the crazy 400 level roads to find a great secluded spot to camp. Good spots there are also typically on the water.

My suggestion is just to head up there and start driving the dirt roads. When you find a good spot, stop and camp. Just make sure you have a dispersed camping permit, they are around $7.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Dave_brez

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Antioch, TN
Member #

Any tips?
It seems like there’s a few people looking to just get their feet wet posting on here recently. I’m no veteran, but once I get back from my honeymoon (August 1st) I’d be willing to plan a trip to LBL to show some folks around. There are trails for everyone, but if your not sure about what your rig can handle, you can always pile into someone else’s rig and ride it out to see.

If this is something you’d be interested in let me know. We’ll aim for a cool weekend, spend 1 or 2 nights and wheel when we feel.

TheDonutAllStar

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Land Between the Lakes. You don't have to take the crazy 400 level roads to find a great secluded spot to camp. Good spots there are also typically on the water.

My suggestion is just to head up there and start driving the dirt roads. When you find a good spot, stop and camp. Just make sure you have a dispersed camping permit, they are around $7.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thank you! How do I scoop up a permit?

TheDonutAllStar

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

It seems like there’s a few people looking to just get their feet wet posting on here recently. I’m no veteran, but once I get back from my honeymoon (August 1st) I’d be willing to plan a trip to LBL to show some folks around. There are trails for everyone, but if your not sure about what your rig can handle, you can always pile into someone else’s rig and ride it out to see.

If this is something you’d be interested in let me know. We’ll aim for a cool weekend, spend 1 or 2 nights and wheel when we feel.
Yep! I’m in for this.

Green Boot Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbus, GA, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Alexander
Member #

Agreed with Dave. LBL has trails for everyone. Awesome area to explore and get an idea of what you are willing to put your rig through!

TheDonutAllStar

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Anyone in Nashville have a recommendation for an off-road shop that can install a lift/wheels/tires? Want to make sure I go to a place that’s going to do it right and fairly.

AreWeThereYet

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Hendersonville, TN
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
K
Anyone in Nashville have a recommendation for an off-road shop that can install a lift/wheels/tires? Want to make sure I go to a place that’s going to do it right and fairly.
I got a couple quotes for shops in Hendersonville then ended up doing it myself with a lot of help from a couple of other guys. BMS offroad is probably who I would've I went with because they do a lot of good work, they quoted me $750 including the alignment (I already had the parts). The other shop quoted me $500 with no alignment but didn't leave me feeling confident in their abilities. Personally I'm glad that I was able to do it myself, saved some money and I got to know my truck better.

Traveler I

Count me in Dave! I think you have become an LBL Veteran! :sunglasses: Congrats on your marriage! Hope all is well!

Traveler I

Hey man! Due to a great deal, I am also in a 2WD. However, I upgraded my rear diff to a Detroit TrueTrac and have been able to keep up with the 4WD rigs. With the TrueTrac and traction pads, mud shouldn't be an issue but long, slippery, or rocky climbs still pose as a challenge. So the way I see it, the TrueTrac has made me Handicapable instead of Handicapped.

Just being smart or don't go alone and you will be good!

Cheers!

MZRoamer

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Middle TN
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Z
Hi all,

I've been on iH8mud for a while, but looked over here after I ran into a guy locally that had a sweet 4th gen blue 4-runner in the parking lot. I parked my new (to me) land cruiser next to him and I saw his OB marker on his truck. Nice guy, I figured I had to check out this site and I'm glad I did! Much more active with local stuff than I've found on iH8 mud. That being said, I'm looking for some more adventure, and would like to meet some more local people.

Reactions: Jrfelkins and Theo

Jrfelkins

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Franklin, TN
Member #

Hey y’all! I just joined OB yesterday. I live in Franklin and work in Cool Springs. I have an 08 Jeep that’s pretty much a blank slate. I’ve added new rims and tires. The 20” mall crawlers had to go. We love “car camping.” I’d enjoy joining a trip to LBL if y’all go. Thanks!

Reactions: EisenYota