• HTML tutorial

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

So I wanted to build a trailer so I can always have my stuff packed up and ready to go. If I get home from work and decide I want to go camping, I can just hook up the trailer and leave. I found a trailer for sale that was a utility bed of a mini truck. I went and looked at it and ended up buying it. It was mounted to a truck frame and the front suspension was a clip from a 3/4 ton 2wd chevy. This thing was sketchy as hell towing home, bouncing all over the place. I took it to a local fabricator, and had him build up a frame and get the body mounted up. So this is where it stands right now, 3500 lbs axle with brakes, wheel adapters so I can run LC100 wheels and matching size tires to my Lexus, all on it's new frame. I am working on the wiring now for the lights and brakes. Next project will be designing the lifting system so I can get the RTT up high enough to use the annex when my whole family comes. After that will be solar, electrical, water, water heater, propane, etc.

When I first bought it. You can see the sketchy suspension.

16387070_1805703003030591_3237156233388510546_n.jpg 16508397_1805703023030589_8176943648397268871_n.jpg

And here it is now

16640888_1808259956108229_5517659879097427627_n.jpg

Last edited:

Neight

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

El Cajon, CA
Member #

So I wanted to build a trailer so I can always have my stuff packed up and ready to go. If I get home from work and decide I want to go camping, I can just hook up the trailer and leave. I found a trailer for sale that was a utility bed of a mini truck. I went and looked at it and ended up buying it. It was mounted to a truck frame and the front suspension was a clip from a 3/4 ton 2wd chevy. This thing was sketchy as hell towing home, bouncing all over the place. I took it to a local fabricator, and had him build up a frame and get the body mounted up. So this is where it stands right now, 3500 lbs axle with brakes, wheel adapters so I can run LC100 wheels and matching size tires to my Lexus, all on it's new frame. I am working on the wiring now for the lights and brakes. Next project will be designing the lifting system so I can get the RTT up high enough to use the annex when my whole family comes. After that will be solar, electrical, water, water heater, propane, etc.

View attachment 16101 View attachment 16102

And here it is now

View attachment 16103
Awesome, I'm going to look at something similar today.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Neight

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

El Cajon, CA
Member #

What is your budget. I know of a guy who had one for sale with a new frame/etc, but he is asking $1500 I think.
I bought a service body for $100 yesterday and I can see putting another $1000 into after axles, wheels and tires just to make a roller. I think I can convince my finance officer $1500 is a reasonable amount. Lol...

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ

This is awesome. I had this idea a couple years ago. I was not able to find a suitable utility bed so the idea faded away. You may have just revived a project.

Reactions: hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

Finally going to get started on the lift able tent platform and have a question. My plan is to run 2" angle iron along the inside of the be rails to attach the lifting arms to. I would then bolt the angle iron to the bed w/ plates on the other side for added strength. My question is should I run the angle iron along the entire length of the bed for added strength? Or should I just use a 12" long piece where each lifting arm will be mounted?

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

Finally going to get started on the lift able tent platform and have a question. My plan is to run 2" angle iron along the inside of the be rails to attach the lifting arms to. I would then bolt the angle iron to the bed w/ plates on the other side for added strength. My question is should I run the angle iron along the entire length of the bed for added strength? Or should I just use a 12" long piece where each lifting arm will be mounted?

Weight, a short stick of quarter in angle is sufficent

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
This will be a cool trailer for sure. Lot's of space to store stuff, open area for things that don't need stored, RTT, the whole package.

I'll be interested to see how it works out, keep us posted.

Dan

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

I bought a service body for $100 yesterday and I can see putting another $1000 into after axles, wheels and tires just to make a roller. I think I can convince my finance officer $1500 is a reasonable amount. Lol...

Service bodies work really well as base camp trailers the utilitarian effect is hey I can carry more and more stuff all well and good here . Now here is a minor issue the width albeit nice is a shade to large to handle a lot of the trails the overland crews use, these trails are narrow and so be it, my experience having built up several have dictated the purchase of these utility doors and building my own shell, doors as I needed and wanted them20150517_195146.jpgIMG_0008.jpgIMG_0987.jpg

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

Now here is a minor issue the width albeit nice is a shade to large to handle a lot of the trails the overland crews use, these trails are narrow and so be it, my experience having built up several have dictated the purchase of these utility doors and building my own shell, doors as I needed and wanted themView attachment 29710View attachment 29712View attachment 29713

Meh, mine is going behind my 100 series, and she is a fat pig!

Reactions: Johnnie Canuck