Vancouver, Clark County, Washington, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Love
Member #

Service Branch
Army National Guard
Always late to the party. My build is quite unusual and is now in its third year.
I suppose you could say that I'm in the category of "The best overland vehicle for you is the one you already own"

Meet Sinny the Sin Wagon (affectionately named after the Chick's song)

Sinny has been in our family since 2009. Spent the first 11 years as a soccer mom van. Sinny always impressed me with how sure footed it was on snow and ice, and we used it for taking the kids camping long before we knew that overlanding was a thing.

Our overland journey literally started when I decided to finally fix the front bumper... one thing led to another... but ill add that later... this is where it all began....

Attachments

LoveTribeOverland

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Love
Member #

Service Branch
Army National Guard
It's hard to believe when I look back at the "before" photo. 3 years later it's like it's not even the same vehicle anymore...

We installed a JOR 5 inch lift, MB Legacy wheels with BFG KO2's at 245/75R-16 (31 inch).
It's got a JOR Hidden Winch bumper (still doesn't have a winch yet)
We installed a custom Front Runner Slimline II roof rack with a spare tire mount.
We currently have an FSR 270 awning (it's for sale if anyone is interested)
This year's upgrades I'm really excited about. We installed a 100AH LifePo battery and a Redarc Rogue TVMS with Manager 30. It was super easy to install... and takes care of all of the battery management tasks and handles most of the circuit switching through the display as well as an app on my phone.
We installed a 12v water pump and a 6 gallon tank (temporarily until I get a bigger tank fabricated) so we have water on demand without having to fuss with Jerry cans.
We also installed a gasoline fired Webasto Evo 40 heater to help knock the chill off of the cold nights.

Attachments

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I see those surfing in Baja/ Mexico a lot. Aussies fly over grab one and live out of them for months. They get remote. I hope you are having fun with it.

Reactions: laylow

LoveTribeOverland

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Love
Member #

Service Branch
Army National Guard
I see those surfing in Baja/ Mexico a lot. Aussies fly over grab one and live out of them for months. They get remote. i hope you are having fun with it.
We definitely are... two years of weekend warrior overlanding. Just to get the feel of it, and reviewing and revising our setup. Last summer we did 4 sections of the new ORBDR. It's the most challenging thing we've done so far and the longest trip. Definitely made us realize that we needed a more efficient build out. (We are currently on our second version of that since then... but I think this one will work)

Attachments

LoveTribeOverland

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Love
Member #

Service Branch
Army National Guard
My flavor of overlanding, I prefer to maximize exploration time and travel every day.
So this means optimizing setup and tear down time. I've been honing my build out to accomplish this and using a van as my overland platform really helps with this process.
The last build project we did this year was to build out an interior that allows us to "live out" of the van by setting up a pull out galley that slides out the back on heavy duty drawer slides. Lights on the tailgate illuminate the scene.

So I can be setup and cooking within 10 minutes of pulling into camp.

Sometimes the weather is not our friend and so we need the ability to "live in" the van. Our bed is also a bench, so if need be we can retreat from the weather to eat a meal or watch a movie from the comfort of our heated van space.

Attachments

DangitDad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Wyoming
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Veltkamp
Member #

Hey now...take it easy with the spicy pictures. :)

Seriously though, that looks like a really effective setup. Good job!

Reactions: LoveTribeOverland