My Toyota landcruiser 120 build progress and update

• HTML tutorial

Scotty lock

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lockerbie, scotland
Member #

Well I thought I would give you all an update of my 2004 Toyota landcruiser 120. I have had my Mot and a major inspection done earlier in the year. I purchased the car knowing it had a few issues which would need attending to and the price reflected this. So I made a good saving on purchase and worked some deals to get some of the work done as part of the purchase price. This all done I collected the car and within a two week period found an issue. Luckily I had warranty and the problem which was a new alternator and two new batteries were sorted. I them made a list of what I wanted, what I could afford and what I could get by with until I could complete the car.

Then with list in hand and some money sorted out I began to research the best sources and prices for everything. Top of my list was new tyres and wheels. The old ones were corroded and we’re losing air slowly. I already had details of a company that did very good wheels at go prices, so I ordered then...like for like wheels as I like the original ones. Then bought some BFGoodrich a/t2 tyres all round....started looking for 4x4 supplies of the products I liked and wanted...I am not new to 4x4’s and have owned many...Mainly Toyota’s and Nissan but did try the landrover route first but they were never reliable enough for me. So good old Japanese cars were my favoured choice.I stumbled across a local company to me in southwest Scotland called maverick 4x4 ,they are an online website. After talking to Andrew the owner he did some research for me for the best items to suit my car and prices. He is very competitive and I always got my stuff either delivered or I picked it up from him. So I order a full ome suspension and spring kit off him. Got an ARB side awning with awning room to attach to it. I got some camp cover storage solutions which are brilliant for the spare wheel and interior. Bought a front runner water tank made by boab. Which included pipes and taps and all connectors. Stumbled across a really good drawer systems...reduced from direct 4x4...customer return...bargain price...which included a fridge slider too. Then I shop around for lots of bits and pieces...like a t-max portable air compressor, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, and a split charge auxiliary battery system and batteries. I already had a waeco fridge freezer which I used in my truck...being a professional lorry driver. But my truck comes with fridge now so it was added to the kit. Also had recovery straps and a small selection of bits and pieces. Picked up a cb radio and upgraded the stereo. Got a high lift jack too...bought a new mountain tent as a roof tent was out of my budget right now and it can go on my motorbike too. Already got a lot of the camping kit already as we camp too. Shopped around for a dedicated tool kit for car and some spare parts to keep handy along with some consumables...wd40, oil, etc. Got a snorkel and breather kit too...

Nearly finished now..just have to fit breather kit...do a basic service...and finish installing the electrical system. Fit reversing camera too...add a few basics and do a last minute check...I am probably going to forget something on first trip or two. But will do my best. Will maybe try to draw up a check list...I will post some pictures...I have tried to make the car look as stock as possible, so a lot from the outside apart from odd items look normal...

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
The 120’s are some of the best Prados out there. She won’t disappoint. How many K’s on the odometer? What motor does she have? I’m in a 150 with the 1KD-FTV.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Scotty lock

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lockerbie, scotland
Member #

The 120’s are some of the best Prados out there. She won’t disappoint. How many K’s on the odometer? What motor does she have? I’m in a 150 with the 1KD-FTV.

It is nearly 120,000 on clock now...it has the 3.0 turbo diesel...I have had landcruiser,s and hilux before. Not my first ...I am a big Toyota fan.

Scotty lock

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lockerbie, scotland
Member #

Something about that snorkel don't look right..
I total agree with you...the top is facing up far to much...not sure what solution to use to solve it...I think it will let rain in when stormy. Because of its angle...The garage said their is a drainage hole in it some where...I never got chance to inspect it before it was installed.

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
It is nearly 120,000 on clock now...it has the 3.0 turbo diesel...I have had landcruiser,s and hilux before. Not my first ...I am a big Toyota fan.
My 150 is also the 3.0 (she’s ‘12) Did you by chance get a read out of the injector values?

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Nice build. Look forward to seeing some write ups from your travels.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

that is the wrong head, for sure. Check it out with the garage and the manufacturer