Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

Old man emu BP51's with Dakar rear springs. Yes I lost ride height, but that is intentional. I installed the suspension at the factory setting which is for 200+ lbs of extra weight up front. On install I was at 3.5" of lift. After sliders and skids I'm at about 3.175". I went with steel skids mostly for the weight of them. Aluminum on stock suspension should be very minimal loss.

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

Old man emu BP51's with Dakar rear springs. Yes I lost ride height, but that is intentional. I installed the suspension at the factory setting which is for 200+ lbs of extra weight up front. On install I was at 3.5" of lift. After sliders and skids I'm at about 3.175". I went with steel skids mostly for the weight of them. Aluminum on stock suspension should be very minimal loss.
I am planning steel as well. I was just concerned on not doing an aftermarket suspension. Im sitting on the TRD Sport stock suspension yet.

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

I am planning steel as well. I was just concerned on not doing an aftermarket suspension. Im sitting on the TRD Sport stock suspension yet.
You could probably come up with set of the trd off-road spring for next to nothing maybe even for nothing. They have a slightly higher spring rate and are a progressive spring as well. Check the Tacomaworld forums local to your area. If you do all three front skids in steel I think it's around 120#'s that's pretty close to what the stock springs can handle. One of my buddies has the us off-road winch cradle with a 12k winch and he lost about a 1/2" on sport springs.

Overlandllama

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Orion
Last Name
Walther
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CKJ
It was time for an oil change so what Better time to install a Fumoto valve and skids. As usual I got to into all the work and didn't take any photos. So here is a shot after it is back in the driveway in the rain. View attachment 19564 For those that will ask, fumoto make valves that will fit just about any oil pan. This makes oil changes when you have skid plate a lot easier. Pic for reference. View attachment 19565
Have a co-worker that went with that Fumoto valve and absolutely loves it. My skid plate has an access panel but I still may get one... like the idea of not having to mess with the plug, torqueing, mess, etc. Cheers, Walt

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

You could probably come up with set of the trd off-road spring for next to nothing maybe even for nothing. They have a slightly higher spring rate and are a progressive spring as well. Check the Tacomaworld forums local to your area. If you do all three front skids in steel I think it's around 120#'s that's pretty close to what the stock springs can handle. One of my buddies has the us off-road winch cradle with a 12k winch and he lost about a 1/2" on sport springs.
Yea I am looking to do full skid plates underneath. It is literally my biggest worry so I guess I am just going to plan the suspension upgrade prior or at the same time as the skids. No big deal maybe just an extra month or two to offset funds.

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

Yea I am looking to do full skid plates underneath. It is literally my biggest worry so I guess I am just going to plan the suspension upgrade prior or at the same time as the skids. No big deal maybe just an extra month or two to offset funds.
If you go with just 5100's your sport springs would work better in that situation.

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

IMG_0216.JPG Got the new and improved brackets installed today. Now I need to fill that extra hole with a CB antenna.

Last edited:
Reactions: HEYElliott

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

It was time for an oil change so what Better time to install a Fumoto valve and skids. As usual I got to into all the work and didn't take any photos. So here is a shot after it is back in the driveway in the rain. View attachment 19564 For those that will ask, fumoto make valves that will fit just about any oil pan. This makes oil changes when you have skid plate a lot easier. Pic for reference. View attachment 19565
Which fumoto did you get? Does the oil drain strait down through the drain hole? I just put my skids on and nervous I'm going to have a mess to deal w/.

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

So this happened 2 weeks ago. IMG_0283.JPGWhat is hard to see are all the cracks in the bumper cover.
So I'm trying to figure out the bumper. I started building my own a while back but still have time to finish it. This is our busy season at work, plus time with family, time in the woods( if you can't tell by now I'm trying to talk myself into buy a bumper). I got 3 estimates of repair 2 were almost $5k, 1 from a shop I have used before was $3700. My internal Scrooge hates spending money on things I can build. But time with my boys and wife is also extremely important.

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

Here's what I'm looking at. IMG_0324.PNG Sos off-road heard nothing but good. Like how tall the guards are. IMG_0323.PNGLove the classic look of ARB, plus I can have one in just a few days instead of weeks. IMG_0322.PNGLooks good. IMG_0326.PNGPelfreybilt best looking hybrid bumper currently.

Reactions: 18JLU and Levidale

andlours

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Denver, Colorado
Member #

Here's a picture of it on my truck. Looking for bumpers was a pretty daunting task for me. They're all expensive and there are a ton of options. You'll be happy with whatever you get at the end of the day though.

20160316_141205.jpg

Reactions: Justin Forrest