My SH Subaru Forester

• HTML tutorial

offroad.GX

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Finally got around to mounting the axe, shovel & recovery boards up on my roof basket. For the axe and shovel I just used Quick Fist clamps. For the boards, I made my own mounting system using all stainless steel hardware and some pieces of 1/4" thick Delrin cut into 1"x4" pieces and drilled to allow them to lock in place. I also removed the 'Tyger' logo on the basket wind deflector to clean things up a bit. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. And while I was up there I realized I can use a mag base CB antenna since I already have a hole in the roof for my AM/FM antenna! So that'll be my next project once I finish my sleeping platform.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCWages

offroad.GX

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Made a temporary bed platform for my upcoming road trip! I started with a tri-fold full size foam mattress and trimmed it down just enough for it to fit. Then I had the foam pieces recovered individually to make setting up and moving things around easier. Getting in and out from the rear doors is a pain (I'm 6'2") so I installed a hatch release button and a handle inside so now I can use the hatch.

Last edited:

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

The rack setup is so clean! I love it!

The mattress is similar to what I used in my Prius for long road trips. I also used screen material with a few magnets hotglued to it to cover the windows. The screens worked to keep insects out while you sleep with the windows down or cracked.

You can buy them or easily make some yourself.

Reactions: offroad.GX

offroad.GX

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Nice work. My Wife’s 2011 XT will likely be coming my way when we upgrade her in the next year or so. How did you do the internal hatch opener?
Thanks! It was pretty easy, I just bought a momentary switch on Amazon and wired it in as a jumper to the OEM hatch release button. Just pop off the rear hatch trim and it's all there.

Reactions: OverLamb24

offroad.GX

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Upgraded my crappy stock mirrors to a pair of aftermarket mirrors from Suma Performance. These mirrors are convex which provides a wide angle view, they are tinted blue for night driving, and they have heating elements and integrated turn signals. I'm very happy with the end results. Wiring in the turn signals took a couple hours but nothing too crazy.IMG_1166.JPGIMG_1163.JPG

Attachments

Reactions: OverLamb24

Marc_Cross

Rank 0

Contributor I

Wow !!! Please tell me the details of the mounting for your axe & shovel. I have the X tray pro rack as well. What are the clamps you used for the quick fist attachment to the rack bar (House Tuning) ???

offroad.GX

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wow !!! Please tell me the details of the mounting for your axe & shovel. I have the X tray pro rack as well. What are the clamps you used for the quick fist attachment to the rack bar (House Tuning) ???
House Tuning is just one of the many brands on Amazon that sells a 'universal' kit, just make sure you get the 1" kit. Then use the thinnest rubber spacers that come with the kit and you'll get a nice, snug fit. I got those and the Quik Fists on Amazon.

Reactions: Marc_Cross

offroad.GX

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Got my Torqmasters Aussie locker in today! The install went great except I tore an axle boot trying to reseat them into the diff. I through some RTV on it for now but I needed rear axles anyway so I'll be replacing those soon. This was my first time modifying a differential but Torqmasters makes the install pretty simple. As long as you're careful with the disassembly and make sure to mark orientations where necessary, it's more or less a bolt-in deal. No special tools are required. Since the sun is already setting today I'll be testing it out tomorrow. Can't wait!09BE37A1-A146-42C0-926D-F5ADF02E3253.jpg

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits